Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 392 Hemi - Overdrive Trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Feb 13, 2021.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Other than the 727, I don't know much about Mopar automatic trans. I'd like to run an overdrive auto behind my 392 Hemi. Is there a Mopar trans that will bolt up?

If not, Hot Heads makes trans adapters for Chevy so I could run a 700R or maybe a 200?

Are there "crate" trans suppliers that anyone has experience with?

Thanks.

2. BJR

BJR

With as much torque as a hemi has you may be better off with changing the rear end ratio. Plus it would be cheaper.

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  3. The A-518 is the modern overdrive equivalent of the 727 torqueflite transmission. If you already have the transmission adapter for a torqueflite, it works with the 518 also.

4. As slayer stated, the A-518 bolts up just like any small block Torqueflight. I chose this route for the 392 in my Merc. I chose this unit instead of the GM style just for the Starter/Flywheel set up instead of the GM adapted componets. Less opportunities for the GM starter issues and I didn't have to buy a Special flywheel. It all stays Mopar and it all works as a factory system excluding the Block to Bellhousing adapter. I wish I could resight the years and models of the 2 different O.D. units but my go to Guy showed and explained to me why we wanted this gear box instead of that one. There are 2 versions of the Mopar O.D. that fit however one is a much heavier duty unit. Meaning larger shaft dia. and different Clutch Packs plus better options for T.Q's. I obviously went with the heavy duty unit. There was an easy way to tell the 2 apart while sitting next to each other by looking at the electric plug receiver. One has (I'm guessing here) 2 wires in it and the other has 4. Could be 3&4 or 2&3 wires I don't remember but he knew the good one by that alone. I'm sure someone here will chime in.

5. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

The A518 is the overdrive version of the 727. Not completely sure if all 518 transmissions have the lockup converter, or if they have lockup at all. The later version is called the 46RH and is only available with lockup. The more recent version of the 46RH, is the 46RE. The RE is the electronic controlled version.
    RH= Hydraulic
    RE= Electric

dirt t and jaracer like this.
  6. Thanks for additional info TRENDZ. That jogged my memory to this, my trans has a lock up converter and a pressure switch on the Trans to control it. No external manifold mounted anything and pressure switch controlled shift points as well, no T.V. cable needed. God I miss Jamie Fox, he just knew his stuff! Good Friends can't be replaced!

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Pist-n-Broke

As I recall, the earlier two versions of Mopar O/D automatics were the 500, which is 904 based, and the 518, which you correctly mentioned is 727 based.

Ray

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Okay, so the A518 is what I should look for or the 46RH.

The 392 is going in my '34 coupe. I don't have a trans for it yet so I'm trying to figure out what to run.

Thanks for the info.

9. jaracer

jaracer

You want the 46RH. The early 727 based overdrive models had problems with the OD clutch. If you get one and decide to go through it, you need a special tool to compress the clutch spring in the OD unit. It's a whopper of a spring.

10. 73RR

73RR

ekimneirbo likes this.
  11. phat rat

phat rat

A local guy ran a 392", 700R in his 34 cpe without problems

12. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks for the link but man, those guys are proud of their stuff! :confused::D $2900 for the lowest level plus you have to ship them a core. I'm sure they have top quality builds but this is a pretty light weight car and a stock 392 so not running a ton of power. Guess I'll hit up local bone yards.

Anyone know what models and years came with the 46RH?

13. I like the 700-R and on it's own merits is a grate Trans. My choice as stated above is adapter parts related. I feel any time you can stay Brand specific in pieces your a few steps ahead of the others. With the 770-R it takes a specific made Flywheel to do the job. Once you get the G.M. Ring gear and Bendix issues proper there generally isn't any problems until you need another Starter. The other reason for me is the T.V. Cable involved with the G.M. unit. With all that aside I believe the actual driving and operation between the two brands is Apples to Apples. Once everything is dialed in you'll probably get about the same mileage out of either units.

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I used the Tremec T56 Maganum behind my 392. Awesome trans with 2 overdrives and ability to handle 700 lb/ft torque. There is a small block mopar bellhousing from Quicktime for it, and a Wilcap adapter plate goes between the Hemi and the SbM bellhousing.

junkyardgenius and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  15. Yes, the T56 is a nice 3 pedal unit. Prices for new start about $2500.oo and go over 3K. Chrysler also has a 883 unit that came behind the 426 motors as well as smaller ones. They are a 3 plus 1 meaning shifts with a Hurst 4 speed style unit with 3rd gear being 1 to 1 and 4th is overdrive. Seems not to be a shortage of them to pick from and way under the opening prices for the 5 speeds. I always liked seeing the HURST name on my shift handles.

16. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

I believe 1995 is the last year for the RH. I will tell you that if possible, get one from a van. Less likely to be a tow vehicle, and a cake walk to remove in a salvage yard. Remove the dog house and every bolt is accessible with a box wrench if need be. A battery sawzall is handy for the exhaust and “stubbing” the drive shaft.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What flywheel/flex plate is used in your Merc with the A-518 and 392? Some stock Mopar piece that has an 8-bolt crank pattern?

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  18. 73RR

73RR

The B&M 426Hemi flexplate, pn 10231, is the usual part to use. Although the 8-bolt patterns are the same a crank flange adapter is still required so that there is a means to register the plate to the 392 crank.

Pist-n-Broke and Hnstray like this.
  19. 73RR is correct. There is a stock Chrysler one that can be used or a repro of that with 3 different converter patterns on it. You can also get one with an S.F.I. ratting. The hub adapter indexes over the O.D. of the Crank flange and has a flange to index the flex plate while also having an I.D. bore that takes a pilot bushing so you can run a standard trans. The thickness is about 7/8" so to properly space the flex plate or Flywheel for standard trans in relationship to the thickness of the Bellhousing adapter.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@73RR @Pist-n-Broke Thanks for that info. I assume the crank hub adapter would them be part of an adapter kit to mount the later mopar automatics or bellhousings.

21. Yes, that is a must have piece to correct the thickness of any Block to Bellhousing adapter. The reason for the Small Block Mopar trans case it the clock location of the starter and lower ear of the Block.

22. 73RR

73RR

The thickness of the crank flange adapter is a function of the block plate adapter and, vice-versa. The 'new' face of block adapter to face of crank flange adapter dimension must be the same as if measuring any post-62 Mopar engine, whether small or big block.
    In addition for the ID to accept a pilot bushing it also registers the nose of a converter.
    Unless there is a recent change, B&M only makes the 10231 with the 10" bolt pattern although they did include the 11.12" pattern until about 25-30 years ago.

In addition for the starter requirement, there are shared trans to block bolts that are very helpful. As for small block trans it is only the 727 case not a 904 due to a higher starter mounting location.
    Recall that back in the 60's, B&M made an adapter for the B-RB trans so anything is possible....:eek::confused: