Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn Finds: 1929 Model A, 1935 Olds, 1941 Willys,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Papa Wheelie's World, Feb 12, 2021.

1. My brother and I were recently able to purchase some cars from a friend. (Video link below)
    1929 Model A Roadster
    1935 Oldsmobile L35
    1941 Willys Sedan
    Our Friend Harris had a stroke years ago and it left him unable to drive, work on, or even look at his cars. Recently he was moved to a care facility and we bought the cars so we could get them all back on the road! At this point we have gotten all 4 to run and the only one that hasn't been driven is the Oldsmobile. The fuel tank on that one is rotted out, but it will run from a remote gas can. Impressive for being in storage for over 50 years!!
    If you're interested in our story, I put together a video of getting the cars out of the barn.

VANDENPLAS, jaracer, egads and 4 others like this.
  2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Looks like fun, but I hate locked up wheels. At least you had some mud to help it slide ;)

Papa Wheelie's World likes this.
  3. That's the truth!! I was hoping we'd get lucky and at least one would roll easy. I guess if there's anything positive about it being muddy it was just that, ease of skidding tires.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - Thanks for video/info

5. That is awesome, thanks for posting the video :)

Based on the moss on the roof of the garage, it looks like Harris has been there for a good long time in that location and some clown went and built a subdivision around him ;)

You just never know what's in any 'ramshackle old shed/garage' regardless of whether it's down an old dirt road or right in the middle of civilization:)

Again, thanks for posting the video :)

6. You're absolutely right! He's been there since the 70's and civilization (or lack there of in Portland, OR) has built up around him. I'm glad you enjoyed the video! It sure was a fun experience getting to unbury the cars.

7. phat rat

phat rat

I couldn't believe it when I saw you pulling one out by hand. A winch should be standard equipment on a trailer used for recovery

8. That's for sure! As you may have seen, we decided to get out the "portable" Warn winch setup later. We don't normally haul cars so neither of the open trailers have winches mounted to them. We'll definitely have to change that if we do anymore hauling. On another note, the rope pulley setup was kind of a good way to teach the nephews that not all work is easy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

Well you taught them that for sure. Before I had a winch on mine I used a come-a-long. That didn't do too bad a job until the day I had to load a car with 1 frt and 1 rear brake locked. That was a real struggle and a winch was bought shortly after. The first was only 2500# I now have a pair of 12000#. One on the trailer and one that fits a frt receiver on the truck

Attached Files:

10. That's a fantastic idea to have a winch on the front too! I like the idea of a 12k lb winch.
    Using the winch made quick work of getting them out.