Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1962 Imperial Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldwood, Feb 9, 2021.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was quoted @ $850 to have my radiator taken back to new. Sounds @ $400 too high. Anyone want to steer me away from an Aluminum.

2. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

There is a old radiator shop in Lansing that recored my Olds radiator with old school brass. He turned it into a 4 core from a 3 core also. Seems like it was about $300.00 which I thought was crazy expensive at the time. If you can find a old type radiator shop in your area I'll bet you can get it cheaper than $850.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I believe it’s Champion that is made in the US and has a good rep. when aluminum radiator discussions come up.
    So you have a ‘62 Imperial, any reason to drive around with the hood up? Spray the fins black and take the extra 600 bucks and invest it in quality beer, tools and other parts. If any $ left, blow it;)

Elcohaulic and ClayMart like this.
  4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Champion radiators are made in China, I googled it. However in Mt. Clemens, Mi Superior Radiators are made in Michigan and very reasonable and I've used several with no Problems.

https://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

Algoma56, Budget36 and vtx1800 like this.

5. 73RR

73RR

6. Budget36

Budget36

That’s right.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I had a 40 pick up radiator re-cored with a new core,,$600

8. Yep -got to be someone around cheaper then that $800 + price. To bad you are not closer - there are two 62 Imperials sitting in a yard just a few miles west of Downtown Dallas.

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Over the years I've purchased four Champion radiators for four different cars. Never had an issue with any of them..

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 broke both engine mounts in a flurry of tire smoke, and my 5 blade fan went right thru 2 rows of radiator core...
    Champion radiator arrived in 3 days, (just temporary, mind you) and suddenly, it's been 4 years! Nice and dry, cools great. 185* all year.
    But one of these days...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Sounds like my story lol...Everybody said you can't put an aluminum radiator in a 64 Bonneville with 8 lug wheels!!
    Seeing is believing. Shortly after installing the new radiator, I got stuck in hundred degree, bumper to bumper traffic, for a little over three hours. My thermostat was a Stant Super Stat 160 degree. My trusty Autometer mechanical gauge never went over 180!! This is a big Pontiac 462, heavily ported 6X heads, 308/320 duration cam (in other words lumpy as all hell), distributor locked in full advance with no vacuum advance. Once I pulled onto the highway and started going 60-70 it pinged a little but smoothed out once that cooler air got under the hood..

I use Champions in everything I own...

Interior shifter.jpg interior.jpg 1964 bonneville 8 lugs.JPG

stillrunners and Squablow like this.
  12. lowrd

lowrd

Painted my aluminum radiator black and never looked back! Works fine. I do wish I could have afforded a correct radiator.

13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Ya I know what you mean. Once I start putting hi end expensive parts into my car it becomes less fun and more worry..