Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's Sunday night, so that means it's time for a weekend update. First and foremost, I got a couple of important items in the mail: Sta-Lube SL3131 wheel bearing grease and my extended manifold studs and some extras. Before I drive the car again, I will be removing the previous Green Grease and replacing it with Sta-Lube. I am not sure this is completely necessary, but from what I'm told this is the grease to use. IMG_3109.jpg
    On Saturday, I was able to finish a smaller project that I had started a few days ago. Remember that gaping hole in the firewall where the heater pipe once ran thorough? Well, at last weekend's estate sale, I managed to score a free circle of polished stainless steel. (I believe it was once used as a part of a mobile or other folk art piece.) Anyways, with a little massaging I made it work as a patch on the firewall. It's home-brewed, but I think it fits the overall theme of the car just fine.
    IMG_3081.jpg
    Working the drill press.
    IMG_3083.jpg
    It's the little things.

Stogy, slv63, Shadow Creek and 15 others like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For the next order of business, I started working on the fuel system. I've never done any of this before, so it took a couple of tries to get a feel for the tools and materials. First, I drained the fuel.
    IMG_3094.jpg
    I could have just unscrewed the line directly under the tank, but I wanted to filter the gas for re-use. Plus, when your garage is in the basement, you want to avoid spills at all costs! That being said, the fuel flow was strong. When I removed the lower line, I encountered a bunch of dirt that wasn't removed when I rinsed the tank over the summer. Good to commit it to the earth once again.
    IMG_3110.jpg
    Practice bend. IMG_3105.jpg
    Next came lots of measuring, cutting, bending and flaring. IMG_3116.jpg
    Eastwood Flaring Tool. Not cheap, but it does a great job.
    IMG_3114.jpg
    One of the finished pieces.
    IMG_3117.jpg
    So after a great deal of research, I decided the best way to run the setup is to tuck the fuel pump on the right side frame rail beneath the floor board. I will be cutting a small hole (and making a custom grommet) in the lower firewall to accommodate the fuel lines. Two hard lines down, each with a two-inch segment of rubber hose where they pass through the newly cut and grommeted hole because the area is susceptible to flexing, then an inlet and outlet line to the fuel pump, also connecting to the pump with 1.5 inch segments of rubber fuel line. P clamps will be used for reinforcement throughout.
    IMG_3118.jpg
    The random lengths of rubber fuel line are just scrap that I had for mockup. I'll be cutting the firewall approximately at the point of the blue rectangle. After a super short segment of rubber line, it'll pick right back up with the hard line. More on that tomorrow.

Stogy, HEMI32, Shadow Creek and 14 others like this.
  3. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Joey - looks great so far! I’m watching closely. I’m about to start the same steps. I just received my header, single down draft intake, 81 carb from Red’s, and my Holley fuel pump and regulator. I still need to get the fuel line, tools to bend and flare, and fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, HEMI32, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are you going to just clamp the rubber hose over the flared end of the hardline or use a fitting?

Looking good:)

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I've been enjoying seeing your coupe evolve. Once we get them running, we'll have to compare notes!

Thanks, Tim! The 3/8 fuel line fits snugly over the hardline, so I plan to just clamp it and keep an eye on it.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

You can use the flaring tool to create a bit of a flared end so a hose clamped hose won't slide off. You aren't dealing with much pressure, so it won't blow like an A/T cooler line, but it is in the passenger area, so you can do this for peace of mind.

7. neds29

neds29

A really great thread, thanks for posting it. Ned

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great advice. That's exactly what I'm doing!

Thank you, Ned! It's been a fun journey so far, and I'm excited to see where the build takes me.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last night was a two steps back, four steps forward kind of night. But all's well that ends well. To lead things off, I carved a hole in the firewall for the fuel lines.
    IMG_3134.jpg
    Dominoes anyone? If you haven't guessed by now, I have no idea what I'm doing!

After the cutting/filing was complete, I went to go fit the fuel lines and I realized one was only single flared and the other was too short. No problem—just another opportunity to get more familiar with the tubing cutter, bender and flaring tool. When I got them all wrapped up, I was able to finally assemble the system. IMG_3143.jpg
    This is the basic shape. I still need to fine tune the length of the hoses. Next up I'll be cutting a rubber gasket for the fuel pump and mounting it to the frame. Then I'm going to clean up/clean out the tubing, make my firewall grommet and get some insulated P-clamps to keep everything in place. Hose clamps will be used on all connection points, and I even have a couple of vintage ones that I'll use on the visible portion inside the cabin.
    IMG_3150.jpg
    Looks a lot better when the floor is in, that's for sure! Overall I'm happy with how this is coming along.

I'm a little apprehensive about the amount of rubber hose used on the top portion (4 inches on one side, 3 inches on the other, not including the clamping area), but based on my research I believe it should be okay. As a first time builder, these are the kinds of things I'm concerned about? Why? Because I've never done this before. Like I've said before, I'm here to learn. Thanks everyone for sticking with me!

Dannerr, GASSERBOB, cactus1 and 12 others like this.
  10. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I'm glad you're keeping the model A grill shell. I've had some guys tell me I should put a '32 grill on my A. I usually tell them, it's an A and I think it looks better with the grill shell.

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bonus Update

Last night, after I had finished messing with the fuel system, I sat on the front tire and looked at the car. It was getting late, and it seemed as if the rest of the world had gone to sleep. While examining the engine block, I eyed the four studs that I knew I had to remove to continue with the project. It simply had to be done at some point. I grabbed the Kroil and applied it to the base of each stud. I remembered that I had put one of them in, so that one shouldn't be too hard to take out. Which one was it? I figured I should just start with the easy one and call it a night. Was it #1?

Well, remembering what I learned on this thread about channel locks, I grabbed them from my toolbox and gently tried to twist stud #1. In the past week, I played out a thousand hellish scenarios of snapped studs and everything I've tried to extract them. (Having wrenched on vintage Hondas for over 10 years, I know all too well about stripped/broken hardware). Soon thereafter, the first stud started to loosen. "No way!" I said to myself. "Now is a good time to call it a night." That didn't happen...

I tried #2 with the channel locks. Nothing. I didn't try to force it. Then #3. Nothing. The fourth stud came out with ease. I recalled that was the one I installed; I used a dab of anti-seize on it for this exact reason. Two out of four—not bad!

Prior to shutting things down, I applied more Kroil. I figured I would break out the torch for the next session in a week or so. Then, just for kicks, I figured I would try the double-nut technique, being extra careful not to cause damage. IMG_3136.jpg
    It worked like a charm (and the engine has quite the Kroil aroma to it). All four studs are out; I'm considering myself extremely lucky.

Sometimes a task you're dreading ends up not being so bad after all. I'm glad I gave it a try, and I'm excited to get the longer studs on there so I can get this intake and exhaust going.

Dannerr, Outback, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  12. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I think your hoses will be fine. Put a little flare and 4 clamps on them and make sure they are not rubbing on any metal edges.

Stogy, Woogeroo, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  13. Joey, do you feel like a hero?
    Do you realize how lucky you are?
    You can't even imagine the number
    of guys that have had the opposite luck?
    Keep it up!!!

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

NHRA limits the amount of fuel hose to 12" for the entire car.
    While minimum is best, your setup should be fine.

Outback, Stogy, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25304infoimage640_4.jpg
    IIRC correctly you purchased a flaring tool from Eastwood. If its like the Eastwood one I have, in addition to traditional double flares it does a bubble type flair that can be used for gas lines to keep the rubber fuel hose from sliding off.
    . index.png

Dannerr, The 39 guy, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  16. guitarguy

guitarguy

My only suggestion is to use fuel hose rated for alcohol mixed fuels. Gates Barricade hose is one such hose. I get it from my local Napa, H311 is 1/4" , H312 is 5/16" , H313 is 3/8". Most ethanol blended fuels will deteriorate common fuel hose over a short amount of time.

The 39 guy, Stogy, kevinrevin and 7 others like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes on the best hose you can get for modern gas.
    Another little trick for breaking old studs loose along with penetrating oil is a firm rap or two with a hammer. More oil, more raps, and time. You did well!

Stogy, winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  18. bandoola

bandoola

If you want to put a proper bead on that fuel line - use a Parker Beading Tool. If you are not familiar with them, they roll a bead near the end of the tubing, which the rubber line passes over and is then clamped. The raised bead prevents the hose and clamp from slipping off. I am up in the Napa Valley, and have several of those Parker Beading Kits - and probably any and every other tool you might need.

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sounds good. Thank you for the reassurance.

Thanks, Tony! I feel like I won the lottery and the hot rod gods were looking down on me favorably that night. I've had my fair share of rotten luck with these things, so I'm counting my blessings!

Thank you—it's doubtful this configuration will ever see a NHRA track, but it's nice to know that I'm under the legal limit!

Right! I was wondering what that option was for. Now I know. Thank you!

Thanks for the heads up. I will for sure grab some of that from Napa. An extra thank you for providing the part numbers.

Great tips that I will keep in mind for the remainder of the project—and all other projects too. Thank you!

Oh wow, those are trick. I'd like to take you up on that offer and also check out your roadster while I'm there. I'll send ya a PM.

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh wow, those are trick. I'd like to take you up on that offer and also check out your roadster while I'm there. I'll send ya a PM.[/QUOTE]

If you thought the Eastwood flaring tool was pricey don't even price the Parker beading one. But since you have access to the one in Napa that's a different story. Plus a quick stop at a winery or 2 wouldn't hurt either.:cool:

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

When I set up the 46 I was looking at the tech inspection sheet on the website for MOKAN raceway :) ya know, just in case

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you....no stinking Philips screws

J.Ukrop, RodStRace and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. 97

If I lived closer I would gladly help, however I have a rule with help, I supervise, advise and hold shit, the owner does the work....it's not that I want to be lazy, I want others to learn and be confident to do shit themselves and enjoy doing it. I have so many friends who had no idea there was a skilled/competent hands on car guy inside , there are of course a few who never get it .
    As for debauchery , that's a different thread/forum !:cool:

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you thought the Eastwood flaring tool was pricey don't even price the Parker beading one. But since you have access to the one in Napa that's a different story. Plus a quick stop at a winery or 2 wouldn't hurt either.:cool:[/QUOTE]

I did just for fun and all I can say is that I'm lucky to have folks like @bandoola who are willing to help. I'm heading over to his place at the end of the month and we're going to get the fuel lines finalized.

Good point! When I have the V8, this car will be driven to Mo-Kan and raced there.

Glad you noticed! Vintage estate sale hardware is used whenever possible—and the price is right!

I really like that strategy. It's amazing how much it helps to have someone around who has already done some of these things, just to help point you in the right direction.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm away from the car for a little bit, but here's a small update.

First, I drilled the frame for the fuel pump and created a simple gasket to cut down on vibration. IMG_3153.jpg
    On to some more noticeable stuff. At the end of last week, I wanted to test the firewall paint. Initially I was going to get a custom mix from the hardware store, but I decided that Rustoleum Gloss Almond should do the trick (and it was considerably cheaper). I gave the firewall a quick sand, cleaned it off, grabbed the nearest paintbrush and got to work. IMG_3157.jpg
    The box fan helped big time with the fumes. The following day, I broke out the tinfoil and got the majority of it finished.
    IMG_3176.jpg
    It still needs some touch-up, but I'm really happy with how it clean it looks.

Later that day, I had a fellow hot rodder come by to pick up a bunch of stock Model A parts that I was giving away. He's in the early stages of his coupe project, and I was happy to hear that he is going to use my old front bumper and brackets on his car. It was fun to talk Model A's for a bit—and he even brought a six pack of beer as a thank you!
    IMG_3177.jpg
    (I still need to paint the support rod housings, but I'll take that on next time I'm in the garage.)

Dannerr, GASSERBOB, 59chev and 20 others like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@J.Ukrop the great part about brush paint is you can wet sand it with 800 in a couple of weeks and coat it again. I found a good layer of wax buffed off with a microfibre window cloth makes the paint super smooth and really shiny!

And if it gets scratched you can just sand it out and paint it again....

27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I chose the same color a couple of years ago. Wheels and Inside of cowl same color. 20190809_140334.jpg

GASSERBOB, Outback, JJGA and 7 others like this.
  28. guitarguy

guitarguy

I applaud the color choice. The stark white alot of people use just doesn't "fit" on the big picture of the entire vehicle. I think it would have looked extremely out of place on yours to. The muted tone you chose is significantly better, great job!

Stogy, RodStRace, hfh and 3 others like this.
  29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I am copying this color scheme. Not trying to hijack this, 4.jpg J.

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great info! I'll keep that in mind once everything is dry.

Very nice firewall—and build as a whole. I too plan to run my Alliance tag up top on the passenger side, considering my data plate now says nothing at all.

Thank you! Those were my thoughts exactly. Nothing on this car is completely clean/fresh/bright white, so I felt like this would be the right fit. It's interesting that the color is pretty damn close to the paint on the original windshield stanchions. I always wonder what color this car used to be...