Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A master cylinder/battery box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JB401, Feb 8, 2021.

1. JB401

JB401

Currently building my 29 Model A pickup and I am working on a hydraulic brake conversion. I have been eyeing the boling bros master cylinder/battery box to add to this conversion. I believe 2040 parts also has a version. They are a tad costly but seem they will help thinks go together that much easier. Anyone have any experience with either make?
    A-2001-4-ll.png

2. Looks compact and clean, but.....
    Bore and stroke (volume) of the master cylinder? That may limit your choices for wheel cylinders.
    That pivot bolt looks pretty spindly... with the thread relief in the shoulder bolt taken into account, there can't be much cross sectional area for such a crucial part.
    JMO, YOMV

3. @mctim64 , does your Cdan use this part?

4. No. I have a Boling Bros. chassis.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Like seeing this, nice neat unit...
    buddy liked it, he is a jeep guy, says that is a jeep MC unit, opens you up for a larger diameter bore...
    the upper and lower clevises must be female as any twist and that lil' belcrank will crack someday
    i want the option of using a booster, running a peppy 289.
    On '33-'34s i run stock [pull] pedals and a 46" long rod threaded 5/16"-24 on both ends [red]...
    set up a belcrank mounted behind the seats... added 4 mounting holes for the red rod...
    lets me change mechanical advantage as needed...
    booster [black] ... master [white]...
    no fluid fill hole in the carpet, it is in the trunk...
    has worked great on [4] of my cars, and one for a late buddy...
    my latest one for 18 years...
    i paint what doesn't show white, really helps reflect the flash light in a jam...
    DSCN0602 (1).JPG

6. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

I have a Boling Brothers setup in our ‘29 Phaeton we’re building.

Very well built unit. Only had to drill one hole to mount it, all others lined up with existing holes.

Running a banger with AA bellhousing and T-5 transmission. Pedals are in stock location. Everything clears, but just barely! It may not be the cheapest solution, but it solves a lot of issues all in one neat package.

Boling Brothers told me the master cylinder is a ‘55 Ford truck unit. We’re running’40 brakes on the front & 8” Ford rears.

Don’t have the car on the road yet, but am impressed with the quality and design. Thanks Boling Brothers!

7. JB401

JB401

Thanks for the input! All good things that I will look in to

Thanks Sloppy, all good points. Nice looking project you have going there.

I knew someone on here had to have it haha. Thanks for responding with your thoughts. I am leaning even more towards the purchase now.

8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

IMG_0052.JPG

I built one that is similar to the one pictured out of angle iron and plate. I bought a master cylinder from Napa that fits a 1966 elcamino. You could use any master cylinder as long as there is space for it. There isn’t a set up for my home built frame and banger with a T-5. What motor and transmission and frame are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. JB401

JB401

Thanks for the input hardtimes! I consider myself an amateur as well

Nice job Binger. That looks very functional. My other option was trying to fabricate something myself but I may pull the convenience trigger on this one and save elsewhere on other portions of the build. Currently running a stock A frame, banger motor and transmission. May upgrade the trans as some point but not in phase one haha.

Binger likes this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I understand. Cling's builds a nice master cylinder set up like that too. I believe most of the model A parts vendors carry that one or they are available on Cling's site too.

http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/index.asp

Good luck on your build. Post up some pictures!

12. I would post your question on Fordbarn. If I remember correctly at least one manufacturer of the battery box master cylinder got too cheap and their boxes flexed a lot.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  13. dln1949

dln1949

I was told by a fellow out here that Mac's Model A Parts lists a battery box/MC assembly allows you to utilize the stock pedals.

14. KREATIVEKUSTOMS

KREATIVEKUSTOMS

Thanks for the picture

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.