Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM2004R installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Studegator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Define “easier”.......less time consuming, less fabrication required, etc.?

Perhaps the OP was just asking if there is any reason to think that such an alternative wouldn’t work. If so, the alternative may have an advantage in less complexity, better looking, etc.

If no one ever questioned the status quo, we would miss out on many improvements over time....and....probably would mean no hot rods.

Ray

2. Studegator

Studegator

The carbs on this flathead six set off to the passenger side of the motor. Not in the middle of the valley like a V type motor. The linkage also hooks up "east to west" not north and south like the V types. Seems to me in this case that it would be better to build an adaptor at the linkage point at the corner of the head, where the linkage then goes over to the carbs on the other side of the block. If the carb itself only serves as a tv cable end/adjustment point then why wouldn't any point in the linkage system not work the same?
    Not saying it would be easier to do, but the tv cable would need to be long enough to go up and over the head, to the carb linkage point if doing it in the traditional way. But may be the only way-- the reason I am questioning it--

Hnstray likes this.
  3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

What about using the old hydramatic TV rod and linkage for the 2004r TV linkage? I certainly would use what I already have!

4. Budget36

Budget36

On a 700R4, the TV cable comes out the pass side of the trans, I assume the 2004R is the same? If so it would save some cable length. Does the 200 require a geometry assembly as well?

5. Studegator

Studegator

The old hydromatics (50's) don't have a TV cable, only the hard linkage.

6. Studegator

Studegator

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. benke

benke

When I installed an th200r4 in my straight eight Buick, I’ll got a tv-cabel from Lokar.
    Made my own brackets, some tricky adjustments, but it has been working since 2007.

Before engine was rebuilt
    [​IMG]

And after
    [​IMG]

Gunnar

9. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

We have a 200 in our 50 Chevy convertible that has a toggle switch to engage the lockup. I did run the power through a vacuum switch so it drops out if I step on the gas. Still need to remember to turn it off when slowing down. I think the car runs a little cooler when in lockup. Transmission cooling is through the radiator. Running a 3.73 rear gear. Ive heard the best way to adjust the TV cable is with a pressure gauge on the transmission. If TV is not set right the trans won’t last long.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I prefer the 200 to the 700. They are getting scarce though.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yes, but the linkage, minus TV rod could be used in conjunction with 2004r TV cable.

12. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I am getting ready to install a 200-4R in my 1940 ford that currently has a TH350 with a TCI split radius rod kit and TH350 mount. I am very concerned about the TV cable as to Hnstray question I am going to use the Bowler set up for a Edelbrock 1406 as they seem to offer the correct radius on the take up linkage on the carb at full throttle. It appears a simple way to adjust using the cable locking mechanism at the supplied bracket. It is however pretty pricey and currently (2/8/21) not in stock but I will order one as soon as the coupe comes home from painting. I don't see penny pinching since every thing I read about incorrectly adjusted TV cables will burn the 200-4R up in a hurry. Bowler has a good video on the set up and adjustment. Not saying Lokar is not the way to go but it may require a little more trial and error. I just watched Roadkill last night about using a 700 r 4 speed with TV cable and the boys had to stop and adjust the cable as the trans was not hooking up correctly. TV adjustment is critical

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

GM mechanics usually just set the TV cable by propping the carb linkage at wide open throttle, and then pull the TV cable to set it at maximum travel at WOT too. This is the way Art Carr transmissions suggests to set them also.

Roothawg and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don't be scared. I adjusted mine by myself. It's close but not perfect. I have about 5k miles on mine. I plan on stopping by my trans guys shop some day and have him look it over. You can always trailer it to a tranny shop and let them adjust it. Most will do it for cheap.

16. Studegator

Studegator

"I am wondering why you could not make a tv cable bracket that would fit/be part of the gas pedal linkage instead of at the carburetor.
    As long as the cable is moving in the proper arc and distance to operate the trans properly?
    What am I missing?"

I sent BowTie overdrives my question posted in the op.
    Here is Chris's reply-
    It can ! We sometimes hook to the gas pedal linkage to pull the cable .. carb linkages are just the easiest .. and we have kits for most carb or fuel injection.. but custom set up are always getting done like in your instance .. have a great day
    Chris

Hnstray likes this.