Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical License plate replicas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveabilly, Feb 7, 2021.

1. steveabilly

steveabilly

Has anyone ordered a license plate from “California license plate .com”? Or any other license plate replica company? If so how were they? Did they look original?
    I’d like to get some original 51’ plates but don’t want to pay the $400+ prices for an original set.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. Better make sure with your local DMV that you can register the original or the replica license plates, you sure wouldn't want to spend the money and find out you can't. HRP

31hotrodguy and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Also need to make sure of the number/letter combinations that can be registered possibly. I know we can only register ones that are not the same type combinations that are used on new plates in Oklahoma.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't run reproduced yom plates legally in California.
    Here is the application form for them
    Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plate Application (VC §5004.1)

Personally unless a guy has a stone stock just as it sat on the showroom floor at the dealer new looking car, YOM plates are a lame thing anyhow. The Hey look I customized my 51 to look exactly like it might have been customized in 1958 but I am running 51 plates on it thing.

5. Hey look, I'm lame. :) HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  6. Me too Danny. I guess mine could have been customized the way it is in the year it was new though. :D

17202877-DA86-4F19-9DD6-675A00B3FF31.jpeg

7. Hell, I'm lame too then.
    100_0301.JPG

8. Ladyhrp is lame also. HRP

[​IMG]

9. Most likely won't work as it says "Aluminum"....they check. The only plate that was made in Aluminum AND steel was the 1947 plate. I had some repo plates on my '54 panel BUT I had the real plates registered to the panel and in my name. The color, font size and spacing were off slightly, I ran it because I didn't want the originals to get taken. Keep looking for a plate you'll find some to run....is it a car or truck plate you need.

steveabilly likes this.
  10. I have to disagree, I like them WAAAAAY better then the new reflector paint, script, .gov white crap plates you're forced to get if you don't have plates on it already.
    new.jpg

Very slightly less offensive is the new overused on EVERYTHING, legacy black plates with obviously new number config.
    new2.jpg

IF your lucky you find a vehicle with older plates still on it. I have 2 with 70's blue plates and the others are in the YOM program, because I hate white plates.

11. Just keep checking eBay you will eventually get a set. If there is time check the numbers before committing. I found the rare ones for my car for very cheap. If you have no time then pay up.

I see a set that ended at 122.00 and 300. So they are out there.

or reach out to some of the sellers of the plates that seems to be regular license plate dealers. Maybe they have old plates sets they have not listed yet.

31hotrodguy and Cosmo50 like this.
  12. what so lame about it ?( unrestored are my choice) better than running a new plate that looks totally out of place .. just my 2 cents worth... :D gg2019h.jpg

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

State of Washington has Collector Vehicle Plates; buy them once and they're good for the rest ofyour life with the car/truck. They also have about a hundred other plates from Square Dancers (???) to Prisoner of War Plates. Collector Car Plates (red, white, and blue with Mount Rainer in the background), you only get one, and it goes on the rear of the car. BUT, I have one on the Delivery on the front also that is completely BLANK. Eventually, someone's going to notice it, but so far, no has said anything. Maybe I should't have said anything here? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

steveabilly and Budget36 like this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

all of these type of questions are only relevant to your state. the OP has "baldwin park" in his avatar, i have no fucking idea if thats here or on mars. in my state, Minnesota, the old 6 digit plates are usually still in use as a trailer plate, so, you get denied . one of my friends cut a bunch of plates apart, tig welded together a plate, finished it off and painted it ,to say "26 T" its not even the correct size of any minnesota plate ever issued, and they accepted it !!!!!!!!! i personally, I wont run them as there are still cops that dont know shit, or they need an excuse to stop you and check you out

15. That's true but it's become a bit more complicated. Washington either has or is going to require that these plates be 'renewed' every five years. There supposedly won't be any cost, but failure to renew upon written notice will cause them to expire. According to the guy from Licensing I talked to at the public hearing at the time, they still had things to work out, this was about a year ago. Their problem is they have no idea how many of the existing plates are still in use (car sold out of state, junked, no longer on the road, etc), they're expecting a influx because of the 30 year rule and were afraid of running out of numbers.

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Where does one go to find ot if plates are yom clear?

steveabilly likes this.
  17. If your state allows them, generally you submit the numbers/letters off yours to them so they can check if it's already in use. If they clear it, then the state will 'issue' the plate to you. Technically the plate belongs to the state, they're the sole determiner of if it can be used.

steveabilly likes this.
  18. Been running this one 24 years. Ca. didn't make black and yellow personal plates 24 years ago? You are correct, they didn't, but you'd be surprised how many CHP officers don't know that. ;)

[​IMG]

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

RI license plate.jpg
    Reproduction [Embossed] plate arrived in correct size, colour (white) and font (Green). I'm now having a correct repo decal produced. It's only a vanity (Display) plate and can't be lawfully used down here but good for a giggle. I already have personalised plates attached that are wider Ozzie style plates.
    FE427 RI plate.png 64 decal.jpg

130204550_185524823194400_861346498166439516_o.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Legal Ozzie plate and another repo [Embossed] vanity plate
    46olds license.JPG
    46Olds Illinois.jpg

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Guess I'm another lame guy, 51 California plate front only, amazed at how many times I'm asked if I and car was from there willow springs 2020.jpg I've been called worse, much worse, LOL

22. j3harleys

j3harleys

20201210_202428.jpg Guilty:D every old car I have or had yom plates except my last 5w, It had 1962 plates on it ( where were you in 62 ). But that's OK I have been called a lot worse than lame. Come to think of it I guess I am kinda lame:) And no I never had any problems, But I never got pulled over Soo:rolleyes: View attachment 4969374 View attachment 4969374 4214.jpeg

23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Count Me In As Lame... SIEBERT 2014 006.JPG

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have one of those fake plates on my Outlaw clone. Yes they are made of aluminum. They do look pretty legit other than that

outlaw2.JPG

25. California. HRP

26. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Steveabilly,
    You're kinda stuck with having to pay the money for real YOM plates if you want to stay legal. Those reproduction ones are not for legal road use.
    With that said, I saw a Model A pickup (not the yellow one in the post above) at a car show with black and yellow 63 style plates. They were personalized plates. I asked the guy about them and they were reproductions. He had the real personal plates, but had these ones made with the same numbers as his official plates. Not legal, but I doubt an officer would pull you over. Unless you were driving really stupid.
    One of the guys at my work has a 65 Mustang with personal plates from the 70's, the blue and yellow ones. Well one of them got messed up and now it looks like a black and yellow plate. He has never been pulled over for having modified plates or anything.
    So my point is that you could run those plates with the current plate number that is already on your car. It isn't legal and you could get fined for it. It's a gamble.
    I was checking out eBay and other sources online that had clear YOM plates. Those are always going to be expensive, especially if you find them in a pair. You will need both front and rear to be able to register them. I know there was one year in the 40's that only issued a rear plate, but the rest of the years had front and rear.
    Check out oldplateguy.com. Those are all cleared original plates. You can get them refurbished or untouched. Just expensive. I wouldn't even consider any plates being sold on eBay if it doesn't say that they are DMV clear.

51504bat likes this.
  27. In South Carolina a YOM license plate must be approved buy the state office of the DMV, there is a abundance of number & letter combinations that can not be used, I bought a 1932 SC licence plate before I found out I can't register it.

It's always best to check with your states DMV before shelling out the money for a plate and find out all you have is a wall hanger. HRP

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

31hotrodguy likes this.