Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your first old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Feb 4, 2021.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

When I got out of the Navy in 1973 I was stationed at NAS Lemoore, California. I bought a 1940 Ford Coupe that had a 301 Chevy motor and 4 speed on the floor. I picked up a hitch hiker right outside the base that was going to Dothan, Alabama. I was heading for Albany, Georgia which is about 70 miles east of Dothan. We took turns driving and only stopped for gas, fast food and pit stops.
    20170120_221333.jpg

2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

running or non running? running 1952 F-3 named "Jimbo" top speed 40 mph...non running...a 1927 Essex 2 door sedan turned into a war buggy farm truck then into a coupe put on a Datsun truck frame with a 302, pinto front end, and Maverick rear...

3. 1948 Ford Sedan FLATHEAD v8, my buddies and I cut the body off with cold chisels and hammers, left the floor, firewall, and windshield. Bolted steel lawn chairs to the floor (cut down), and drove around out in the country, marveling at the out of balance tires bouncing clear off the surface of the road..I was about 14 at the time. 77 now.

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

54 Buick , I was in the 8th grade. My Dad bought it for $50 as it had new tires that fit our other Buicks. The seller thought the dynaflow was going out, turns out it was just low on fluid. I claimed it and tinkered with it, cleaning it, put some worn out white walls on it, spinner caps, flex dual exhaust and a bunch of other stuff a kid with no money could do. I still love those old Buicks!!

5. .....Sweet '40 and great story. Those were the days when you could pick up a hitch-hiker and not worry so much about waking up dead!:eek:

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

16, 1964, 57 Chevy 210 2 door. As a kid I hitched some rides and as an young adult would pick up some hitch-hikers but as time passed, I stopped, never had a bad experience hitching or picking up. Different times for sure.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bought from my brother for 400 bucks in 1969.
    Not really considered an old car considering it was only 10 years old.

But I had some fun dates, cut my teeth on mechanics, got my first speeding ticket and learned how to wax this big boy.

[​IMG]

8. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

My dad had a line of 47-53 Chevy trucks on the back of our property. At age 7 I was hooked on them so he "gave" me the 1950 3100 pick up. It was a basket case. I always dreamed of getting it going. It didn't happen. About 10 or 15 years ago we cleaned up the property and the trucks were sold. By then there wasn't much left of it. Sold it to a guy that built a street rod out of it.

9. Mine was a 59 wagon, also, but not as good looking as yours. It was a $35 special, but I also learned a lot about repairs, and how to drive a 3 on the tree.

59 FORD-FRONT.jpg

10. My first old was my first car. 1953 Ford Mainline. Bought it in 1965. Had a rebuilt Flathead from Sears, '54 DeSoto grille, '56 Olds tail-lights, '56 Ford wheel covers, de-chromed hood and deck lid. 06272016_0002.jpg 03222016.jpg

11. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

6inarow, Deuces, VF-1 and 8 others like this.
  12. First car (I was about 13yo) was a '51 Austin Devon sedan. First car that I drove legally on the road was a '41 Chevy pickup...

13. I believe it was a 1960 Ford f100 stepside out of dean's junkyard.

14. Cool 33

Cool 33

In 1965 I got a 1931 Tudor sedan. Cost $125.00. about a year later with a rebuilt engine, 'rebuilt' title, and I was good to go! Stephen & the 31.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  15. RobG

RobG
    from WA

I bought a ‘35 Ford Sedan from my high school physics teacher in ‘68. No engine or interior (or paint). Got a ‘53 flathead from the junkyard and a set of crappy GTO seats. My father knew Fords from his teenage years and helped me rebuild the engine. We cut the top off a derelict car and riveted it on as the roof. Covered the outside in tissue flowers and drove it in the homecoming parade. It was a cool car to drive but too much of a project for me.

16. Mo rust

Mo rust

My first “old” car was 46 Ford 2 door sedan that someone had painted silver. If you put a hitch on the front with a couple propane bottles it could have passed for an airstream trailer. I subframed it with a sbc painted it red and drove it for 5 or 6 years until I got a chance to trade it for a 32 2 door sedan. I later swapped the 32 sedan even for a 32 three window. I guess I was living right

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I was 14 in my first year of high school. Walking home from school Tom, my next door neighbor, and my best friend, we came upon a 1950 Chevy hardtop. It was a beautiful dark blue with white top for sale. The sign in the windshield said "$60 see back house." We met with the man selling the car and asked why it was so cheap. He said the transmission was not working (Powerslide). Tom and I were young and probably not very smart and thought gee how much could a transmission cost. We came back the next day with the $60 figuring this was really a good deal as the car was only 7 or 8 years old. Since the car didn't run Tom and I had to push it home three miles on a dirt road. Took us about 3 hours. We decided to park it on the side of my parent's house. My Dad came home that evening and the shit hit the fan. My dad was not impressed with the "good deal." He told me to take the G.D. thing back where I got it. The next day after school we started pushing it back three miles on a dirt road. We explained to the man who sold it to us that my dad wasn't happy with me or him. He would only give us $30 back. Lesson learned. Ron

hfh, 6inarow, simplestone and 7 others like this.
  18. Haven't thought about it in years. My first car was a 1933 Hudson coupe I bought for $5 from the local hot rod club. They were going to make a race car out of it but that went nowhere.One of the members had it in his yard and his dad told him to get rid of it. It was only a body and frame;no fenders or running gear and he lived about 3/4 of a mile from my house. We wound up dragging it to the house sitting atop a Radio Flyer wagon with a couple of 2x6's supporting it. When we got to the house I had to recruit a couple of neighbors to help us drag it down into the lower level of the back yard. My grandfather wasn't too happy about it but he said I could keep it there.
    The worst part of the car was the left A pillar was pretty badly bent and the doors wouldn't stay shut because there was no floor in the car .
    I started amassing parts for it. A friend of mine had attempted to chop his 51 Merc(with my assistance)and we had butchered that badly. From that I got the rear end and a 52 Olds engine & trans he was going to install. I got a dropped front axle with split wishbones and hydraulic brakes in trade for a striping job on my friend's T roadster. He had just picked up a chrome 37 Ford tube axle and decided to use it on the T.
    Things were progressing slowly and I was constantly being stung by yellow jackets from a nearby nest.They were inside a large mound of dirt. I decided one night to eliminate them.
    Went and got 5 gallons of gasoline and poured most of it into the entrance to the nest. Took a book of matches and lit them and threw it towards the hole.BIG MISTAKE!
    The only smart thing I did was turn my head as the resulting blast blew the top off the dirt mound and shot a fireball up in the air! It broke two windows in the back of the house and it seemed like the whole neighborhood descended on the yard. My grandfather came running out and he was NOT happy! The fire department arrived a few minutes later but there was virtually no fire remaining.
    The next day I was ordered to get rid of the car and pay for the broken windows. I also wound up learning to install glass at that time.The irony was I still couldn't go down into the yard without getting stung as very few of the little buggers died and they were pissed off for weeks!
    I wound up dragging the car to a friend's house and one of his buddies bought it from me.

Atwater Mike, hfh, 6inarow and 10 others like this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summer of '69 I was 17 years old. A $50 48 Chev Coupe body. A $125 running '57 Chev 4 door. A couple buddies and some beer I stole from dad...and 3 weekends later I was driving the '48 with a 283/3spd. My high school girlfriend modeling the finished product;)
    48a.jpg

hfh, 6inarow, 41 GMC K-18 and 13 others like this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool ! Your First ride like mine had the proper primer spots from rust repair and mild kustom work, I remember painting some of my cars in the driveway with Dad's old Binks spray gun, enamel paint, got pretty good at it. Another great memory this AM.

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

This is a repeat story about my first car, I have talked about here before, at 15 + purchased my first car, 57 Chevy 210 2 door without engine/trans from kid in neighborhood, $125, he found a cherry 57 body for his engine/trans Went to junkyard looking for a V8 stick combo and they had just towed in a wrecked 59 ragtop, 348 tri-carb, 3 speed manual, purchased for $150 and I was off and running, With the help of some friends, my Mother and I were living with my older sister at this time, her backyard, no garage, I/we "Got R Dun", spray can rebuild, chrome air cleaners, hurst shifter, tach on dash, 3 gauge panel under dash, built reversed wheels in shop class, glass packs, recap street slicks. This car started my lifelong adventure of cars, put me on the map as car guy, street racer, The HAMB has got me wound up this AM, my mind is racing, about all I can or do race now. LOL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    6inarow, Ford52PU, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My first old car , 37 Chebbie Coupe . 100 % virgin steel . 283 , 3 speed , with 57 Chebbie rear . Not moved in 15 years . Inside storage . My Buddies laughed at me 3000 for that ! I was 24 years old . They including me were buying muscle cars dirt cheap . In 4 years , it was 350 LT1 powered , 700R4 , 9 in rear . 4 wheel disc , finished and painted . Another one I should have kept . My babies needed shoes ! Raising a family was top priority . I need to look deep for some images to post .

6inarow, Okie Pete, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

15 yrs old summer of 55, 48Ford coupe, dark green.75 bucks local car lot.

6inarow, Okie Pete, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

First car was a 1935 Ford coupe in 1972. First car that ran,stopped and I drove around was a 1955 Chevrolet 2 door in 1974.

25. There were some mopeds and dune buggies on the farm, but first on road vehicle was a two door 1965 Plymouth Savoy- might be a Canada only model- bought it for transportation- greatest memory-driving with no reverse gear to Cobo Hall to see AC/DC in the Tier 3 cheap seats - still have the shirt. First intentional old vehicle was the 50 ford pickup in my avatar - bought it at 13, drove it to final year of high school - still have it.

26. My first car was a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe that was short lived. HRP

6inarow, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  27. My first car was a 1931 Chevy sedan for $ 30. At the age of fourteen. I had to have it towed to my grandads farm. I worked on it but never got it running. My next old car was a running 38 Chevy coupe. I got it for $600. while I was in high school. Later added a SBC, and 57 Chevy rear. 390.jpg 150.jpg

28. astep

astep
    from central ca

my first car at 12 years old was a center door model t that i paid $25.00. it was behind a second hand store

6inarow, Okie Pete and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. 1952henry

1952henry

1956 3/4 ton IHC 4wd. Wish I still had it.