Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TRI-C Eng Tilt Column Wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theLicks, Jan 30, 2021.

1. theLicks

theLicks
    from Azusa, CA

Howdy,

I bought this tilt column from Tri-C engineering forever ago, and I'm finally getting my '34. back to the point where I can use it.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of wiring the car with a Ron Francis harness and discovered that there are only 3 wires for the turn signal switch? I think the black wire is for the horn, and there are two brown wires that must be for the left and right. There also is a really thin white wire. The problem I see is there is no power wire to hook to from the flasher.
    I tried to get some info from Tri-C, but apparently the fellow that designed and built these columns passed away in 2014 with all the info in his head.

Can anyone shed some light on how to hook the turn signals up?

IMG_4114 copy.jpg IMG_4115 copy.jpg

2. badshifter

badshifter

Where is the turn signal switch? A quick look at that will tell you what goes where. However, you will have to figure out how to separate front and rear bulbs, as well as brake lights. Otherwise your front turn signals will light up when you hit the brakes. Unless you use 3 filaments (3) bulbs in each housing.
    The way I see it, one wire goes to flasher , one to left bulb, one to right bulb and one to horn relay.

3. badshifter

badshifter

Quick HAMB search says that member @RetroSteel put one in. Maybe pm him.

4. theLicks

theLicks
    from Azusa, CA

Thanks for the response! The turn signal switch appears to be inside the tube and not easy to get to. I'm guessing that it is probably just a double throw single pole switch so I think you are probably right about the separate bulbs.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

You can get around the seperate light problem with a converter piece for hooking up trailer lights.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Colors look like what GM used on the 60's and 70's steering columns. If so the colors are:
    Black-Horn relay
    Lt. Blue-L. front turn signal
    Dk. Blue-R. front turn signal
    Brown-Em. flasher
    Purple-Turn signal feed
    White-Brake light feed
    Green-R. rear signal
    yellow-L. rear signal

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. fordflambe

fordflambe

I've got one. Ordered it new from Tri-C some time ago and just about to put it in my car. It came with an additional relay box with four relays (I believe), along with the other side of the GM connector and instructions on how to integrate it into and existing harness. Tomorrow, I will take pics of the set up and instructions and post here (unless someone beats me to it).

David Gersic and pprather like this.
  9. theLicks

theLicks
    from Azusa, CA

Hey Flambe that would be fantastic! When I bought mine I only got the column, no instructions or anything else...... THANKS

10. I was going to reply to your thread but haven't had time until now, but I'm glad you're getting help. I'm not particularly a fan of adding relays but this is a case where they're needed for a reliable system. How you integrate it into your wiring and how many relays you need will depend how many/what kind of exterior lights you have. There's also a way to add a 4-way flasher function to this if you want one by adding a 2PST switch. If you are still confused after getting this info, PM me and I'll help you sort it out.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

2PST? 3PST as follow's is how I do it. 1 pole left front, 1 pole right front, 1 pole rear brake.

12. Ah, but that's not what he has. It's left front, right front, left rear brake/turn, right rear brake/turn. You use the switch to drive the relays.

egads likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

K.I.S.S. it then. 4PST. I guess my confusion is why he post a GM style column along with the other.

14. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

The GM van column is the only GM column with the shift quadrant on the column (P,R,D,N etc) and it is illuminated. There will be a brown wire for this lamp that you wire to your dash gauge lamps.

15. fordflambe

fordflambe

All the info that came with my Tri-C column

ColumnOrientation.jpg Instructions.jpg PinOut.jpg RelayBox.jpg RelayAndFuse.jpg relaywiring.jpg

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wow, 20 lbs of **** in a 5 lbs bag. Why didn't they adapt/use GM's cable operated turn signal switch?

17. theLicks

theLicks
    from Azusa, CA

My mistake letting that GM column show in the photo... I did not think about it confusing the issue/ Its for another car...

18. Well, the 'directions' are a bit less than useful.... Plug in the magic box this way and it all works. No mention of the 'magic'.... LOL

Give me a few days and I'll generate a diagram explaining the 'magic' and options. Meanwhile, you can identify the four wires coming out of the column by checking for continuity. One should be the horn, the wire sticking out of the end of the shaft. The other three will be left, right, and power/common. Turn the switch to left and check for continuity; two wires should read. Turn it to right and check again, the one wire that's used for both sides is incoming power/common.