Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever Heard of a "charging problem" that required pulling the engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by South Dakota Six, Jan 9, 2021.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

OP, first time I heard of that problem. I have used the diagnostic method, when something is squeaking on front of daily driver, run it until serpentine belt blows off , then you know what to fix LOL One crankshaft damper issue I saw years ago with SBC, the rubber gets old, fails, outer ring falls off , saw one come off at a race track, made a hole in a fiberglass hood, luckily did not hit/hurt anyone as it came down through roof of beer stand shack about a 100' from track. Nice truck and hauls ass, 6 in a row, got to go.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

THAT’s CALLED A DUTCHMAN AND IS BEST DONE WITH A SMALL TAPERED DOWEL PIN THAT HAS A THREADED HOLE IN THE BIG END TO FACILITATE A SLIDE HAMMER PULLER TO REMOVE.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Another cause of a generator not charging was cast aluminum V belt pulleys on OT Cars.
    A loose running belt would create a U groove and the V belt would bottom in the pulley groove and try to act like a flat belt but insufficient to create much charging.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Well, I finally got the call from the machine shop. The short block is done! We didn't replace the dampener because it was an ATI and I was able to buy just a new inner sleeve for it, which was expensive enough but a lot less than a new ATI dampener. Now I can start putting things back together and I'm waiting for Tremec to start shipping their new TKX transmissions. I have one on order and they sound like they should be just the ticket. Engine home from machine shop.jpg

5. brading

brading

Glad to hear you got it is sorted.

loudbang and South Dakota Six like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife’s OT 85 Grand Am died in a intersection. 2
    Guys pushed her to the curb. She called me. I took a long pry bar and went over and took off the serpentine belt. She drove home the 2 miles. And I went the 3 Amigos dela Pep and pickup up an alternator. Ezpeazynice-n-ezy...

loudbang likes this.
  7. Engine install.jpg So, I've gotten the short block back from the machine shop with new crank, rings, etc. I managed to get it painted in spite of the frigid weather we have been having and got it setting back in the car. I'm in the process of installing the head and all the rest of its components to make it a complete engine.
    At least it's starting to look like an engine!

loudbang, BigDogSS and Budget36 like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Pretty top end there!

South Dakota Six and loudbang like this.
  9. Yes.. I was 17 and bought a freshly painted and upholstered 56 Olds 98 convertible. Drove it for several months and the generator stopped working..replaced it was a rebuilt one....regulator stopped working..replaced it and looked for any problems but didn't see any. I replaced 4 generators and 4 regulators before I gave up and parked it [after the trans gave trouble] and yanked the engine to put in a cherry pie 50 ford two door. That's when I saw the hot wire going from the ignition switch to the regulator through the firewall with no rubber grommet in the fireewall! That wire had been grounding out occasionally and it was low on the firewall, behind the engine where I couldn't see it.

loudbang likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

VW flat 4 camper bus requires you drop the engine to remove the alternator.