Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welder who can weld in a C notch in Bakersfield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr48chev, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep that is the question, I have a gent on another board that I am on who needs a C notch put in his 56 Chevy 3100 and it seems that the shops in the area are asking crazy prices.

I've already told him that the best thing is that if he has the bed off, takes the time to clean up (wire brush) the frame and have it all ready so all someone has to do is weld on it but I am not sure that has sunk in.

I don't think he needs or wants a Gambino style notch, just a small notch in the frame for axle clearance.

Or if you know someone with a portable welding setup in Bakersfield who is reasonable on price that will work just as well.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all the oil field work and big truck/farm equipment repair shops in the Bakersfield area there has got to be more than a couple of portable welders out there. I'm sure someone will know "a guy"

olscrounger and jimmy six like this.
  3. msgt tank

msgt tank

if you can't weld then bolt the reinforcement bracket in place after you cut out the clearance notch.

4. low down A

low down A

crazy prices go along with the crazy amount of work that go along with C-notchin a frame, more to it than just the welding. kinda like how much to paint my car , not much to paint but the work before the paint another thing

5. Budget36

Budget36

Sounds familiar, I think the guy was here asking about a bolt in kit, earlier in the week.

jimmy six likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep... there’s got to be more portable stick welders with units on trucks in Bakersfield than anyplace west of the Rockies. Cutting and making a notch that doesn’t cut the entire frame is not rocket science. A full cut is way more work to get exact and must be done right to keep the integrity of the frame.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. larry k

larry k

You can buy a good used welder for twice what a guy will charge to weld it, so your buying one for half price $ . Learn to use it ! You’ll need it .

bill gruendeman likes this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Enroll in a Jr collage welding course. One semester and you are one your way

X-cpe likes this.
  9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The more work you can do the cheaper will be the work you cannot do, based on obtaining the welding services of a honest welder with a machine.

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Have you priced out welders lately? They are dirt cheap.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured that he should be able to find someone with a portable welder who charges a reasonable rate or maybe takes side jobs with the company rig.

I don't know why the hell when someone asks a simple question the smart asses always have to pop up and say buy a welder and learn it yourself. That is flat ass stupid to even suggest. Hell I own Three welders so it isn't an issue for me. The man doesn't have an interest in learning and may not have much of a place to actually do any welding or fabricating.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

A reasonable rate is about $100 per hour if you can find someone and a little inverter welder will set you back about $200.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app