Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Louver Press

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dryflycaster, Jan 28, 2021.

1. dryflycaster

dryflycaster

Hello, new here looking for some info on louver installation.

Is there a hand held press, similar to those used to punch knockouts in electrical boxes, available to press/knockout louvers in sheet metal.

Thanks for any info.

2. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Eastwood makes dies that fit in a small hydraulic press. Not sure about hand held ones. But I bet if you had the dies, it wouldn't be hard to repurpose an old set of bolt cutters to mate the dies to do the job.

dryflycaster likes this.
  3. dryflycaster

dryflycaster

Thanks,

I'll take a look at what Eastwood offers.

The dies are a big part of the pressing, or knockout. I've seen both hand held mechanical (tighten a bolt as the press) and hydraulic knockout units. At the moment I don't have either, but there are probably a few available, out there, without giving up your First Born to acquire. Of course not having either item in hand it's difficult to tell if a little welding, grinding and shaping could make them work. Cost is a major point of the whole project.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Take a trip to HF, I bought a hyd KO set mostly for the ram to use when I made a stud puller, the ram alone was 99 bucks, but the same ram with the KO set was 99 bucks also.

5. There's a how-to here somewhere on making louvers with a cold chisel with pretty good results...

loudbang likes this.
  6. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Video on how to hand hammer louvers.

WalkerMD, KiWinUS, alanp561 and 8 others like this.
  7. junkman8888

junkman8888

What you're wanting to do is impossible because it requires tons of force to punch louvers in sheet-metal using "traditional" dies, in other words dies that slits the metal then forms the louver. At one time Eastwood offered a set of dies that would make louvers of any length, including curved louvers, these dies were installed on a bead roller, the first set to slit the louver, then the dies were changed to the second set which "formed" the shape of the louver. This is a possibility but the louvers it made didn't look right.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is about as traditional as you get!

HomemadeHardtop57, alanp561 and Stogy like this.

9. this guy must have invented sliced bread cause this is just awsome !!!!
    Ridiculously time consuming but incredibly ingenious!!

HomemadeHardtop57, alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  10. Luke stone

Luke stone

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I need that t-shirt.

12. dryflycaster

dryflycaster

Budget36, I buy a fair amount of HF stuff. I didn't remember seeing a KO Set there, so I haven't checked them out yet. I'll have to take a look at what they offer. I might be able to modify their set. Again the die is a very important piece of the equation. Making a die with standard garage tools would be a very formidable task.
    Thanks for the tip !

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I can get you a pic when the weather eases up here, not sure if I saved the part number cover on it or not. But search the HF site, I bet it will come up

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Keep an eye on eBay and some times louver dies come up for sale. You might check out the Mittler Brothers site too.;)

15. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

dave williams low buck tools in norco ca makes a hand press machine.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. dryflycaster

dryflycaster

Budget36,

I took a look on the HF site and the only thing that comes up is a KO Die Kit. No KO tool. Maybe they stopped carrying it and only have the die kits left ??

I think maybe eBay is my next stop. I'll setup a Saved Search, wait and see what shows up.

ekimneirbo,

I checked out the Mittler Brothers but everything I saw was a bit costly.

I must have watched 25 or more YouTube Videos and all most of them do is show you how good they are at punching the Louvers out. None of them show you how to make the Press and the all important Die.

18. Budget36

Budget36

Interesting, I just picked mine up a few months back. I’ll see if the part number is on the box somewhere in a bit.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A KO punch set wont do louvers. KO punches require a hole to be made so you can draw the dies together to make the hole. They're great for holes, or for making flared holes, but wont do a louver. I've got a Greenlee hydraulic KO punch set, and can't see any way you'd adapt it to make louvers unless you want to spend time punching holes first, and then welding each one shut after punching the louver.

Budget36 likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Good point right there

21. dryflycaster

dryflycaster

1971BB427,

Thanks for your insight. I have seen KO Punches in action but have never used one. I didn't think about the required hole. Without being able to draw the die and the seat together they just wouldn't do the job. I guess my search will center on some kind of Die and Press.

22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Stogy likes this.