Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Leopard skin upholstery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by birdman1, Jan 27, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

How come you don't see any of the dyed in the wool hamb members putting leopard skin upholstery in there customs??? I mean, if you really want to be old school, leopard skin upholstery is the only way to go

2. Maybe in some circles. :confused:

3. Paulz

Paulz

My bosses dad bought a 51 Olds brand new and "negotiated" leopard seat covers in the deal. The boss still has the car, 21,000 miles, the seat covers have never been taken off off.

4. Was it this guy?
    [​IMG]

5. I think the “man” frowns on killing leopards.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Animal print interiors had their day. People would not understand today.

Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

I used to see an early sixties Cadillac parked in the Grove at the CHRR in Bakersfield each year. I always liked how they used the leopard skin (cheetah skin?) fabric with black and gold and some pinstriping in the interior. Kinda beatnik looking, very cool.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if used now it may come back to bite you - but, can use pattern on exterior 20210127_180845.jpg

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In about 1960 one of the "older guys" in high school had a 38 Chevy Convertible and it had a Leopard seat covers. It was crashed not too long afterwards:(

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When my parents got married in 1950, they bought a new Nash Landau Convertible and it had leopard upholstery. I don't know if it was an option, or if my Dad added seat covers. I barely remember it, as they traded it in on a new '55 Ford Convertible...pink & black, white interior with pink inserts. Yeah, my parents were kinda WIERD :eek::D
    zzzzz.jpg

Texas57, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  12. desotot

desotot

It seems I still have still have several yards of Leopard Fun Fur seat cover material in my inventory along with about 1500 yds of mohair. This stuff just does not sell fast these days.

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

No worse than Chrysler’s paisley vinyl roofs.....yuck.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that along with the clear plastic seat covers you could get from Sure Fit in Seattle in the 50's and 60's leopard skin print was one of the offerings. I knew a few of the "older guys" meaning High juniors or seniors or just out of school who would do the body work on their old car, take it over to Earl Scheib and get it painted and then down to Sure Fit and drop it off to have new seat covers put on. If they hit Earl Scheib first thing in the morning they could get it all done in one day.
    I remember one of my step father's cronies showing us his new car that he had taken over and had the clear plastic seat covers installed on and bragging on how they would keep the seats nice and keep the resale up and my stepfather popping off that that was like not banging your wife so she would be more attractive to her next husband. That didn't go over well but ended the bragging session.

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't use my sexy underwear for seat covers...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  16. ............Is that one of those, "nut doesn't fall too far from the tree kind of things"?........:D:):D:):D:):D:):D..........;)

17. adam401

adam401

On the right car I think it would be awesome. Like everything else it has to fit the overall flow of the car. Gotta be able to pull it off though. Pimpin ain't easy

scotty t, Stogy, Tman and 9 others like this.
  18. Same could be said for HOTRODS.

Ben

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What in, heavens name, could you be implying here?;)
    :p:p:p:p

20. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

I think some tail draggers out there could pull it off!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 5window

5window

I have tried for years to convince my wife that leopard print underwear is sexy, but she always tells me if i like it, I can wear it. :)

22. reagen

reagen

don't forget Rooster on Baretta and Huggy bear ON STARSKY & HUTCH had it going on

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My Caddy DeVille had some leopard print crap in it...couldn't get it out fast enough.
    But...I built a '62 Catalina gasser model car years back called 'Leopard Cheese'. It's swiss cheesed and has orange paint with leopard print stripes and interior. That, I would do in real life. ;)

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. I wouldn’t do an entire interior in it, but accents like seat and door panel inserts would be rad.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. j hansen

j hansen

There are a few out there,,,,,,,not in my car tho. Skärmavbild 2021-01-28 kl. 15.55.37.png

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm waiting for someone to come along and announce its 80's street rod crap.....

27. Give me the old school tuck & roll and you can have the leopard print seat covers. :D HRP

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

29. Or publicly flogged at the very least! :eek: HRP