Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I'm a dump A___

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Metalsky, Jan 27, 2021.

1. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

I posted a thread this am under 1949 Ford Coupe. asking how to remove the tires off of the rear when I have 3" lowering blocks. man I'm stupid!!!! I jacked the rear end up which of course raised the compete car...ok so far but then I placed jack stands under the rear and placed wood blocks under the frame in front of the rear tires. and tried to remover the tries...not happening!!! After laying on my back for the longest time...it hit me...not the car but the jack stands were not allowing the rear end to lower. Raised the rear again...removed the jack stands, left the wood blocks in place and the rear end lowered so that the only 3" of tire was behind the body.. tire came out with no problems!!!! Just make sure the front wheels are "chocked" in place. Thanks for listening!!!! John

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Studebaker has the same issue, you figure it out quickly don't you:) I have a bumper jack if I have a flat out on the road. I hope I don't have to use it.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. We all have those "Duh" moments.:)

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Dump? Did you just typo while trying to explain you're a dumb ass? Lmao. Perfect!

Yeah, I've had my share of moments telling myself I'm an idiot. It happens to the best of us.

5. Yea. Glad it worked out.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

7. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

This doesn't get better with age

seadog, VANDENPLAS, WalkerMD and 5 others like this.
  8. Only a dumb ass would spell dumb DUMP!
    ha ha:D

You aren't dumb, that was just a brain fart.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    LOST ANGEL and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. I can relate to some of those moments , where i think what the hell am i thinking . DAHH !
    Vic

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Duh.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's okay...
    I'm mentally retreaded.

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My Fairlane it helps to jack one side at a time to remove the rear tires, it seams to alow the one side to drop just a little more.

Deuces likes this.
  13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Let he who has not erred make the first snide comment, we have all been there at some point.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, Chicster and 4 others like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I jack mine up from the side on the frame ahead of the rear tire.:D

Deuces likes this.
  16. junkman8888

junkman8888

To change the rear tires on my '63 Chevy pickup I use a hydraulic jack under the track arm to lift the axle just high enough to get the tire off the ground, then a high-lift jack on the rear bumper to lift the body of the truck so I can sneak the tire past the wheel opening. Gets exciting when you have a load on the trailer.

Deuces and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You're allowed. We're all allowed.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- bad idea using wood blocks - you could have ended up with the rear of car "dumping" right on you - next time jack up rearend and use jack stands under frame - then lower floor jack but. leave it in position to jack back up in case start to move the wrong way

Flathead Dave likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

At least this didn`t happen along the highway with a flat. Or did it.

Deuces and Rickybop like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that brought on a flashback.
    Remember way back whenever somebody was broke down, changing a tire on the side of the road... the back end of the car way up high, hanging on a bumper jack, the rear axle and wheels hanging.
    Never see that anymore.

Flathead Dave and Deuces like this.
  21. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I do dumb things all the time, unfortunately.

I asked the doctor if I should be worried about going into the garage and not remembering why I went there? He said, "No, be worried when you can't find your keys and they're in the freezer!"

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve had those moments, destroyed a steering wheel once with a wheel puller. My dad wasn’t impressed

Deuces likes this.
  23. BJR

BJR

Anyone who thinks they have never been a dumb ass, please sign in..... Then we all will tell you you are WRONG. :D

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  24. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

When I did something dumb my dad would smack me and say "don't be a dumbass!" Then when I tried to explain, he'd smack me and say "don't be a smart ass!" Whatcha s'posed to do?
    Just kidding, he never smacked me unless I deserved it. I got smacked a lot...

VANDENPLAS, WalkerMD and Deuces like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evidently you never post much with your phone. I've lost track of the times I have had to get on the computer and correct what my phone decided I was saying rather than go with what I wanted to say.

John, if you didn't have to take the shock loose at the bottom and let the axle hang down further or use a bottle jack to push the axle down far enough to get the tire out and back in life is good.

Don't forget that some have to let the air out of the tire to get it on and then air it up. Not much fun on the side of the road.

VANDENPLAS and Atwater Mike like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend had a '56 Ford tudor sedan he was going to put station wagon front springs in. (in the '60s gasser days) He jacked the front up under the control arm, and the car lifted before the spring compressed.
    He called me, asked if I had spring compressors, or clamps...
    I said "Be right over..."
    I took one look at the little Ford 'teeter-tottering' over the rear axle centerline. His floor jack was under the right front, so I took his jack stand and after he lowered the jack to beginning position, placed the stand under the LEFT rear bumper.
    Now, when he jacked the lower control arm he was 'attempting to' raise the whole car.
    Spring compressed without argument...he asked where I got that trick.
    "Elementary," was my answer. ("DUH!")

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I was wrong once...
    ... but I was mistaken.

They say you learn from your mistakes. I should have been a genius by now...o_O

Jalopy Joker, VANDENPLAS and WalkerMD like this.
  28. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your honesty, good to know it's not just me! Now I don't feel so bad.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. Nope, I am one of those old "dump" farts, I don't even have one of those fancyass phones. Everything I do is at home on a computer.

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

DOH! (smacks forehead with palm of hand). I don't remember all the times I've done thins like that. And I have the 7 am head to prove it. (smacking hand to head each time, bald to a point somewhere around the back edge of my skull...)