Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Messed up intake ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Jan 26, 2021.

1. I have an intake for my 324 Olds that I have never used. Bought it from the classifieds a few years back.
    Threw it on the Olds for break in and noticed water leaks after the initial run in from one of the runners. Tightened it down a little bit and left it. That was 2 years ago. Got busy with other things.
    So now I am back on to the project. Pulled the intake and cleaned it up. Got a new Best gasket which is thicker than the previous Felpro. Dropped the intake on without a gasket to check a few things and noticed right away that the DS fits nice and tight but the PS looks to have been cut wrong. There is a 15 thousands gap on the bottom but it fits snug at the top.
    Put the gasket on and there is no change.
    In its past life someone has hogged the bolt holes to 1/2 inch which I assume means they may have cut the heads and were trying to get everything to line up.
    Regardless, it appears that the PS needs to be cut but what will that do to the other side which seems to fit correctly.
    The other thought I had was to install the intake and torque it down to see if the gap goes away. Never had to mess with a cut intake so I am looking for some direction before I mess this up any worse than it is already. Pic of the gap follows. If you blow up the pic you can see the gap even with the gasket setting there.
    20210126_145658.jpeg

Sent from my LML212VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I have no information to help you but I do have a question - would you explain what DS and PS mean?

Beanscoot likes this.
  3. Drivers side, Passenger side.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Are you sure your heads are both milled the same?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Thanks - makes sense now

6. Yes, heads were done at the same time by the machine shop although that may not prove much. However, I had a 4x2 set up on the engine and it fit fine with no leaks thru the initial start up. I then switched to the 3x2 with a center carb for the remainder of the test and tune. That is when the issue appeared.

Sent from my LML212VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Later intake as in 371 and up perhaps?

8. Budget36

Budget36

Take everything down to a competent shop, have them measure and mill the intake to work. Just my thoughts.

oldiron 440 likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I had the same problem with the aftermarket intake on my Caddy. While my factory intakes fit fine the aftermarket one had a significant gap on the lower pass side....Took measurements on all four corners and took it to my machine shop where he put it on the mill and cut it using my measurements. We got it within about .004 and I mounted it using best gaskets not the fel pro steel type. Works fine now.

firstinsteele likes this.