Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keeping the weather out of a snap top on a Tudor questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gigamanx, Jan 25, 2021.

1. gigamanx

gigamanx

Hey all, slowing plugging away during COVID on my 1929 Ford Tudor. The header and visor were completely rusted out and missing bits but I finally got it all back assembled through pictures online. I have a super specific questions and hope you fine folks can help.

I'd like to do a snap top that rolls back on the Tudor but not sure how to keep the wind and water out of the front header seam. I asked a local rod guy and was told any old upholsterer will know the trick. Well, many google hours later I am left with no solution but feeling a little more like an idiot.

As an example below, the fabric sits clean against the metal and can roll up if you want to feel the wind. Is it magnets? some universal header? I've also seen a couple of cars that used a piece of Awning track and kedder as a seal. Would love tips and help!

[​IMG]

Another thread that didn't quite answer the question, but had similar ideas
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/canvas-snap-top.1123437/

Another one using snaps on the header, but I imagine you'll get pretty wet if it rains
    [​IMG]

2. I think old MG convertibles (maybe other cars to) had a flat piece of metal sewn into the top that would flip into a metal channel on top of the windshield lock the front down making it weatherproof.

dana barlow and harpo1313 like this.
  3. gigamanx

gigamanx

You might be onto something there man! A flat piece slotting vertically in a channel with some P rubber seal to keep water and wind out.

Edit: A little more research and I came across the windshield track for the Jeep TJ for bikini tops. Looks just like you're suggestion of inserting the fabric in a channel. No idea how it doesn't just blow out of there. Physics or car magic?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I cut a Weatherstrip channel into my roofline , used the trunklid w/strip from a 37-38 chev coupe = one piece goes the full distance.1/2" wide - 1/2" deep

our pic`s 017.jpg our pic`s 016.jpg IMG_0919.JPG JelliPups5179 020.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    hfh likes this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Are you going to drive at freeway speeds?

Tman likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Jeep’s had a slotted box tube that fit on the front of the windshield. You slid the top into the groove on the box tubing, and the fabric stretched back over the top of the windshield frame, with the tension being pulled to the rear and snapped down. The top fabric was doubled or tripled and sewn to make the edge on the front, it couldn’t pull out of the groove because it was larger than the slot, it had to be fed in from the side. No air or water could get under the front since it was over the tube and windshield frame.

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  7. gigamanx

gigamanx

t
    Very cool car! Yes I think the sides will be similar with the seal under the fabric. Wondering what you did with the header to keep it down?

@A Boner: Yes, freeway speeds would be preferable so I can make it to all the car shows in the area.

8. Thats about the most simple trouble free way to do it

9. gigamanx

gigamanx

Good thinking! I did find the Jeep YJ seems to have a basic track system in the header that might work. Worried about the fabric pulling out at 70mph on the highway. Maybe that's why those bikini tops have a strap underneath to pull the header fabric tight?

10. Awning track. Sailrite and others sell it

[​IMG]

11. Barbour Marine
    [​IMG]

dana barlow and upspirate like this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I built a wooden header into my top fabric , with an spearhead post which is pulled down tight with a "T" handle ( see pic ) and added a " Cowl to Hood Seal " from a Ford truck just behind the W/strip

IMG_0920.JPG
    See " Cowl to Hood Seal " in this pic
    JelliPups5179 017.jpg

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

On my old 31 sedan, I had a snap roof on it, I used 2" wide industrial velcro on the front and rear, snaps down the sides, never leaked a drop in the 20 rainstorms I had gone through in that car. The top material was audi convertible cloth I bough surplus for 50 bucks. Best part is I could run it half way open or take it off completely in nice weather.

IMG_0656.JPG

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Won't this require you to unsnap the entire top in order to remove it? I thought you wanted to be able to roll it back occasionally. I guess you could roll it forward. I'm not sure this is the best solution.

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sounds like a better solution

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's the way the old CJ Jeeps were as I described that. Yes, you had to take it off from the rear first. It's pretty well watertight doing it that way, but it would be a bit more work to roll it back, you would have to unsnap it from the rear, take it out of the channel, then re-snap the back and roll the front back and tie it off.

When I had my CJ, when it got warm weather, the top came off and stayed off until colder weather.

17. gigamanx

gigamanx

That is very trick! I'll just spend the rest of thee evening looking at pictures of your car. Great job on that one.

@stubbsrodandcustom -- This is exactly the low key solution I'm hoping for for the header and real life experience to know that thing isn't going to tear off at high speeds. I am surprised the velcro was waterproof. Did you use a robber seal sewn in with the velcro?

To everyone's comment, I don't want to take the whole top off just to take it out of the track. That was the biggest reason to shy away from the Jeep track and the awning track at Sailrite. I think they are good options though for a serious tight seal. Loving all these responses. This helps!

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    Convertibles are a lot like this floor cleaner. You ride in them once and you're done.
    You bake like a potato during the day, and dress like you're bombing Germany at night. They sure are great those two days a year when the weather is right, that one day in the spring and that one day in the fall.

No joke, the novelty of an open car wears off quick. We have two off topic convertibles. It's been over a year since the tops have been off. For one of them, it's been a couple of years.
    ^^^With that said everybody wants one, even me.;)

wackdaddy and Blues4U like this.
  19. gigamanx

gigamanx

I get that what you're saying. I happen to be a guy who had two motorcycles and would layer to ride in the winter. Have an A5 convertible in the stable to get to work and put the top down as soon as its 60F outside. Have a 2015 F150 with the big ole sun roof. Have a boat I sit on all summer with a Bimini top that basically is an overprices umbrella. Lots of sunscreen and sweat, but I love it! I imagine a fabric top car will have the same level of sun and heat protection haha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    loudbang, alanp561 and F-ONE like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So when I was fabricating the insert for my Model A pickup I wanted to be able to remove it sometimes, when the weather is right, just like the OP here. So I designed a removable insert. I can pull the whole insert off in about 5 minutes. You know how many times I've removed it to drive the car without it? Zero. It is just so much more comfortable inside with the top in place, I have zero desire to remove it. In the summer it about 20 degrees cooler with the top, and in the winter it's 20 degrees warmer, and it's quieter with less wind noise. If I was to remake the top I'd make it permanent.

Tman and F-ONE like this.
  21. Speak for yourself! I kept the top down all summer, unless it was raining! Smiling every minute of it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

F-ONE likes this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

F-1;
    I'm in MN. Rule for my OT ragtop is: 65*F or above(hydraulics for top don't like cold & I don't like the cost to fix that), not raining/hailing/sleeting/snowing/fire-n-brimstone-falling/wife-not-in-car = top down! & the only reason the top goes up when it rains is I don't have time/energy to wet-vac the interior when it gets wet. I love the sun. I haven't yet suntanned my teeth, but am surprised due to the almost permanent grin when topless. Only put it up once when sunny out - that was in Neb when it was 103F* & wife n I were cooking after ~ half day driving in it.
    gm;
    If you want a slider-type top, or foldable type, look at the '64 n older VW bugs, 60's n older VW microbuses, & ~ 74 n older Renault LeCar. Should be good ideas fro sealing/locking fabric top edges.
    Marcus...

alanp561 likes this.
  23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

No rubber seal, I sewed the fabric part to the top material, and bottom was adhesive on, the edge was right where the visor came over the header panel, the sides were 2" over the steel, for re enforcement the fabric was doubled up down the sides and front and rear, worked great. 120 MPH bursts, never came loose or made any noise, closed tight in drizzle back from Roundup a few years back 85 mph in 38 degree weather, carbs had ice on them, top never budged... Thanks, it was a nasty hotrod for sure, tons of fun....

Should do you good man..

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@NathanxStewart does snap on tops maybe he has some thoughts to share?

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think water management. Manage the water. There's a 100% weather seal around a Packard rumbleseat lid. The water runs into a trough and drains out the back. Not a speck of rubber seal. Early Ford's are the same in most cases. Do I have a solution for your gig? Nope, just offering a different way to wear your hat here. If you had a modest trough around the top opening you'd need drain hoses at the front and rear corners. Old thinking? Not really, modern sunroofs handle it like this too, drain hoses in the 'A' pillars. Also a simple flap sewn inside the cover that drapes down around the preiphery would help prevent creep at speed. I envision corners with something like Kydex added to aid in shaping them inside without being to intrusive. In 'plan view' the edge of the cover will have an 'L' shape and of course a sew line on the outside. A flat soft foam seal sewn in will aid the outer needs too. How were the old Beetles and other Euro rollbacks handled? They didn't come with umbrellas, right? Just sayin, hope I tugged some creative thoughts here.

dana barlow and alanp561 like this.
  26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with @nrgwizard on this one. Found an OT little sporty Italian roadster that I could get my long legs into and convinced the wife this would be a great deal. Absolutely beautiful day for our first ride in this thing and we leave the house with the top down. Twenty minutes later and I hear, " Alan, put the top up! The wind is messing up my
    hair!!! ". :(

27. I had a roll up roof in my Model A truck for years. I attached it at the front with a "Hidem" strip and snapped the sides and back. Roll it forward and you had an open top.

It Leaked but not as bad as it could have.
    The buffeting of the single piece of canvas was minimal
    The buffeting however did end up wearing the material thin above the top bows.

In the pic you can see the roof folded forward as I am sizing its replacement metal insert. ModelARoof4.jpg

Tman likes this.
  28. The mention of older VW sliding tops as donors is a good one. Years ago I designed a phantom Model A400 5 window coupe that was built around these tops. And before you get any ideas on modern donors, STAY AWAY FROM the newer Fiat 500s! My sister in law has one and it has top issues. I looked into fixing it and small parts are unobtanium and the major parts are plastic and expensive!

29. gigamanx

gigamanx

All good thoughts and ideas, thanks everyone! For me, it sounds like the velcro header will work best and I may steal the idea of some side channels following the wood bows to channel water to a rear drain. I imagine the corners being the place water may sneak it. Thanks for all the help! Now to buy some convertible top material.

Blues4U likes this.