Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are you a Happy Mechanic or a Mad Mechanic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Jan 25, 2021.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

When I was young, like ear deep in transmission fluid, I was a mad mechanic.
    Paint would flake.
    Sometimes things would fly.
    Now that I'm old, I'm a happy mechanic. I'm very slow but not dumb slow...methodical. Now I'm a problem solver rather than a problem maker.
    The only thing that really gets me now is loosing my dang glasses. :rolleyes: That and the occasional mystery wrench.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Body guy, happiest wetsanding the final coat of primer. paint is a let down, project is over.

wicarnut, loudbang, AVater and 3 others like this.
  3. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If it doesn't make you happy, don't do it. Problem solving is fun. :)

Joe Travers, LAROKE, Gnater and 8 others like this.
  4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

As a general rule, I start out happy and end up with an attitude. :)

5. leon bee

leon bee

I found my favorite wrench yesterday! Been missing for more than a month.

wicarnut, catdad49, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  6. If you find tools out in the front yard you know I'm not happy. HRP

7. I got "released" from my first mechanic job in 1961 because the owner said there was too much loud cussing. I think it was on the third dynaflow r&r on a '57 Buick. The boss had never rebuilt one and I pulled it at least 3 times before he got it right.

LOU WELLS, LSGUN, wicarnut and 8 others like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve a dual personality I guess. If I need to fix something to get me or the kids to work by the next day, I’m not happy.

I’m “happy” when doing something on the projects, there’s no rush;)

9. Depends on if I have time and money to fix what is broken... In general, I have never really been a mad mechanic since I learned a long time ago that throwing a boot through a wall when I was a kid made for a "learning opportunity" in fixing more than was broken to start with...

10. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

When I get frustrated...stop. Go for a walk, work on another project. It'll all be different when you come back to it (especially if a sledge hammer is nearby).

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

11. I'm generally a pretty happy mechanic. I don't throw stuff and I seldom curse at what I'm working on. I curse more when I'm sitting having a beer with friends, not at them, just putting a little something extra in the conversation. o_O

I enjoy solving problems, especially the ones that others were unable to. Sometimes all it takes to solve a problem is cleaning my glasses so I can see what's happening. :cool:

12. I only work on project cars now.If it takes 3 days to do a door skin so be it.I walk away a lot.As a kid I worked all weekend to get the beater ready for the commute week,and spend late Sunday afternoon trying to source parts.Not fun.

LAROKE, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm always happy to get started, and always happy to get done.

But sometimes in the middle I am not quite as happy. :confused:

14. When I am working on the drag coupe at my home shop I am happy.:D At my job I have to work on a lot of junk, and high mileage beat into the ground cars. I am almost always rushed and yes I do get very pissed.:mad:

VANDENPLAS, loudbang, blowby and 6 others like this.
  15. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

When I worked as a mechanic it was just another job, they all seemed to blend together after a few years. Headgaskets and no-starts.

Now that I only work on my projects when I want to (or have the time) its enjoyable and relaxing. If it's not, I do something else.

When my wife's car breaks down, I'm not as happy, have to get it fixed asap. Cant look for deals on parts on Ebay.

LAROKE, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

When I worked on my old Chevys back in the day, I was a happy camper...:) Now that I own Fords, it's a different story.....:mad::rolleyes::(

17. Budget36

Budget36

Love it!

18. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Working on these heaps doesn't bother me....doesn't bother me, doesn't bother me, bother me, bother meee.....

19. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Now that I'm a old fart I enjoy working in the garage. Sure beats the alternative.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Something I often hear when Grandkids , wander into the garage , “ PaPaw NO POTTY WORDS ! “ . I worked 35 years as a pipeliner , good hard working men , but not to be taken lightly . Words I have never heard before came from their mouths !

21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I enjoy sitting in the recliner with my feet up thinking about working!
    When I work I get pissed off thinking about how productive I used to be.

22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m in the happy camp. I ´m glad I can afford to play with old cars in my free time and it´s keeping me busy and focused. Plus I learn something new almost every day. My glass is half full, usually.

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure why , but I have experienced the same , hahaha---Lately I got a little upset while working on my Dad´s OT econoline van... 7 hrs just for pulling an engine, and nothing , really nothing went easy, I could have set that POS on fire... My Dad only asked me if I was tired because I wouldn´t speak anymore. I answered that I just didn´t have anything nice to say, and he understood immediately, hahha, shuffled off and came back with two beers. That helped alot.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol, found my 1/4" drive 5/16" deep socket and 1/4 drive bit in the furnace return (re-installing grill after painting). Spend a good hour the other day looking only because I noticed it was missing from where it should be. Ya, getting old sucks!

25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The shop is my happy place

26. I start out happy working on most tasks, my back has a different opinion though which changes mine.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang, F-ONE and 2 others like this.
  27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

This is an oddity people who don't wrench won't understand, but even when I'm mad, swearing and yelling, and things aren't going my way, I'm still happy to be turning wrenches.

slim38, Blues4U, treb11 and 13 others like this.
  28. I have always been a happy wrencher, ( its a form of therapy for me) although these newer cars with miles and miles of tiny wires, computers and the need for expensive diagnostic equipment has KINDA flattened the smile a bit. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy every single minute I spend in the shop, being retired I'm almost never in a rush, the major thing that bums me is that I don't/cant have a lift. It's getting to be a pain crawling under and back out from under the car repeatedly. Been thinking about installing a pit. A big big smile always shows up when I get to work on an "OLD" car, something that I know a lot( well maybe, depends on who you ask!!) about. Mitch

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  29. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Generally speaking, happy. A world of difference since I retired. Back when, I had limited time to get something done and therefore pressure to get it done. Now, if it doesn’t get finished today there’s always tomorrow. It’s a good feeling.
    Just an example, I took out the front spring of my Model A to replace the reversed eye main spring with a regular mainspring. Once I got it back on the ground I realized I’d be better off with a longer second leaf. Oh well, kind of annoyed but will get back to it Wednesday.
    Some of the stuff we do is for the “spirit of the exercise” and not worth getting all whipped up about.
    Again, very different now.
    While this is my logo:

42D4BEE2-475E-4A9B-8648-286FD4518A1A.jpeg
    I try to not have anything airborne. :rolleyes:

30. Now that I am nearly as old as dirt, I am somewhat happy to just do things at my own pace. I remember my cousin back in the day was not a happy mechanic. There was this beautiful black 57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop in high school that a kid drove to school. It was really nice but a factory 6 cylinder. A year or so after high school I found out my cousin bought it. He came driving into our driveway one day for me to look it over since he had just converted it to a V8. There was a big crease in the hood between the two "birds". I asked how that happened. He said he hit his head on the open hood and proceeded to slam a huge Crescent wrench into it in anger...not a happy mechanic.

loudbang, AVater, Deuces and 2 others like this.