Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Isn't that the truth Sir!

I see so many great deals while transporting, I always have to keep some in my stash to scoop them up.

To Racer-X...Great score. I think I have almost the exact same engine & ironically back in 1983 when I bought it, the TM2-R manifold also came with it. I need to go out to the shop & mark down all my numbers to check it out. My plan was always to put it in my OT Nova (my first hot rod that Mom & Dad bought new in 73) but thinking of going way bigger if I ever get it back together. Knowing these bring a stiff price might push me to sell it.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

2. A friend of mine has this bbc in his 55. All correct parts including the summers bros front drive. Let's see those vintage bbc parts. I need ideas. 20190330_084516.jpg 20190330_084531.jpg

3. squirrel

squirrel

neat stuff on there!

I think I'd rather have a real fan, than a front drive distributor :)

dirty old man, enloe, Baumi and 6 others like this.
  4. Hitchhiker said it best...Fuck em. Run the bitch hard Brian, at least it’ll get used like it was meant to, instead of getting hauled around by a dude in a satin corvette jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MBog, dirty old man, enloe and 4 others like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I won't say this block isn't desirable or valuable but it should not be put on such a tall pedestal, it is a pretty narrow window as to finding the perfect buyer.
    What people don't understand is that it's more than just having the right casting numbers for it to make a matching number engine/car, the cast-in date codes need to fit "the car".
    A block casting date later than the cars' build date would just be a replacement block in the eyes of a serious Corvette buyer, the Corvette crowd are the most anal about this as anyone.
    It's not like Brian needs to sell this engine to "turn his fortunes around", besides, it sounds like he is every bit as happy to have found it as "Mr Right Corvette Guy".
    Now, if this was a block with L-88 or ZL-1(aluminum) "numbers" I doubt we would even be debating this as there would be a very large line of buyers in Brians' driveway.

MBog, enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Only way you should consider selling is if u wanted another HEMI! Other than that it's a great accessory for your right foot

MBog, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. I can find a hemi easier and cheaper than this engine. There are way more hemis out there.
    As far as restoration engines obviously the best is the engine the car came with. The second best would be a engine that was built close to the time before the car was made. Usually within a month. Third best is a engine with the correct casting numbers but the stamp numbers have been machined off the deck.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  8. With your chevy being OT for the HAMB, do we have to go to facebook to follow you progress?

9. Thats the best place to see whats going on. I will respect Ryan's cut off year. There's also stuff there about the nitro coupe that's not on the hamb.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Them collectors would be more livid even than I if they knew my dingbat brother scrapped my 67 tri-Power Corvette heads for my period gasser dreams. Took me a long time to get over that. Recently he had the nerve to tell me I should sell my steel crank and 427 block to make a few bucks. I almost strangled him.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  11. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

A high tower block is recognizable by the casting under the distributor . Also called a 512 block,they were more accurate castings that could be bored larger,if necessary without worry of core shift.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. I think I might have found the valve covers that would go perfect with this engine. Elco made a corvette specific valve cover. It looks like it has a slice in the one corner. Its actually cast in. This was for the radiator hose clearance. The picture shows the regular and vette covers. The vette is yellow. Its a rare cover and would fit the theme of the build Resized952021012595164010.jpg

13. Budget36

Budget36

That may be for the alternator clearance, the reason I never went to aftermarket VCs on my 70 LS5, is the Vette setup had everything tucked down, and the alternator sits right over the corner of the driver side VC, and not much room to spare.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

That must work on the RHD Corvettes then, the four lower valve cover bolt holes are at the bottom and three are on top.
    I believe that clearance notch is actually for the power brake booster.

racer-x, chryslerfan55, bowie and 3 others like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I’ll try to get a pic of mine in the next few days and show you what I mean. I’ve no experience with RHD stuff.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

The RHD reference was tongue in cheek, GM did not make a factory valve cover for alternator clearance and there was no aftermarket one either.

chryslerfan55, egads and Deuces like this.
  17. I could see clearance for power brakes. This is just what my buddy told me. I guess I know how I will be spending my evening. On the phone and on the computer doing some research.

enloe, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

So, do you still think the cut out is for the booster? Sorry to miss the pun;)

loudbang likes this.
  19. I agree Brian, those valve covers would be the cats ass. Really a great look.

20. @Fordors is correct. Its it for brake master clearance. Even the stock stamped steel Corvette valve covers have that angled clearance. IMG_9565.jpg

MBog, enloe, chryslerfan55 and 10 others like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

I’ll get you a pic up in the next few days, night shift limits me a bit. Now, was the L88 in the same “vintage” Vette as the ‘70? Ie C3, etc? All I know about an L88 was there was a late 60’s Chevy PU in town rumored to run one when I was in HS.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

MAKE SURE YOU POST A PIC OF YOURSELF GRINDING OFF THE CASTING NUMBERS....

23. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg Well hell, sun is out, I may be late to work, but here’s what a ‘70LS5 has on the VC from a Vette. Disregard the dust please;)

elgringo71, mad mikey, enloe and 3 others like this.
  24. Fordors

Fordors

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough when I mentioned the bolt holes. To mount that v/c with the notch at the drivers side front it would have to be upside down but then the bolt holes do not line up.

mad mikey, enloe and Budget36 like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

I see, haven’t looked that close in so many years...damn I’m getting old...

enloe, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  26. L-88 was 1967, 1968 and 1969. Only 20 built in 1967, don't know production numbers for '68 and '69. 1967 heads were closed chamber casting number ended in 392

27. Budget36

Budget36

So relooking at what I just saw, and all see in the pic I posted, I think the reason I couldn’t use aftermarket taller covers was NOT because the alternator was over the VC, but that the AM VCs would come up “square” from the head, and interfere with the alternator
    Aw well.

enloe, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  28. What ever the reason they are rare and cool. The guy that owns them is a friend of mine. I think I will call him tonight and tell him to put them in the mail.

29. Deuces

Deuces

I think '68-'72 Chevelles have that same notch...

mad mikey, enloe and loudbang like this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Only 216 of those were installed on the assembly line between '67-'69....

mad mikey, enloe and loudbang like this.