Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, i noticed that after posting and edited it. i get you two guys confused. you both do such awesome work along with others on this thread. you guys provide a valuable service to all us challenged hambers.

3. raymay

raymay

A friend just found this German 1959 DKW. Very different for sure. Some of us were wondering what could be in store to put some cool into it looks. He did mention a possible Gasser look but I also know he is a cruiser and would like to have it reasonably streetable.
    Motivation is always a good start so maybe if he could see ideas with a better stance, some body mods like skirts etc, and of course a nice paint scheme. Thanks

dkw1.jpg dkw2.jpg

Ned Ludd, loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Smoke 'em if you got one."

loudbang likes this.
  5. Definitely needs a top chop and round the rear fender tips

Custom.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  6. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Moose,
    I just had to say WOW. That rendering completley changed the character DKW.
    That needs to be built.
    NORM

themoose and loudbang like this.
  7. raymay

raymay

This is amazing. Keep going if there are other ideas anyone has that I can share with the owner.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here's my version:
    1959 DKW Junior Final.jpg

9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wow! Now that's a transformation!

loudbang and themoose like this.
  10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Agreed, a few of my projects have been built and thats the biggest kick of all. Squablow's '51 Chevy, Fatbrosracing's '39 Chevy and wetskier2000's '41 ford COE are but three that come to mind.
    Plus, we sometimes help people by photoshopping their ideas and it doesn't work out like they imagined. Its easier to change paint in Photoshop then in the real world.:D
    I haven't posted much here lately, (working alot), but still check in to see what cool stuff the other guys have in the works.

loudbang and themoose like this.
  11. madfish

madfish

@raymay

Looks like I got sloppy thirds...

DKW CUSTOM.jpg

12. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here's a thought experiment (brought on by a facebook post), how about combining the mild custom ideas from "May Cause Dangerous" with a Ranch Wagon?

Maybe swap out the door and window posts for a full-length hardtop look (way flexy in real life, I know) OR ditch the B-pillar, swap the diagonal C-pillar with a curvy Starliner one, and maybe match that swoop on the tailgate.

dunno. Here's some pics, if anybody wants to try it.

1960-ford-2-door-ranch-wagon-original-paint-perfect-patina-super-solid-rare-2.jpg

0025_a10.jpg

Paint and wheels of your choosing.

loudbang likes this.
  13. madfish

madfish

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  15. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I *almost* dig it. Needs something to break up that empty space (to me, anyway) because it's reminding me of those Jeeps on Fantasy Island.

Maybe a slight chop or something. It's close to cool, really close.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hairball thought along the lead sled lines. Can the front bumper be pulled back some to add to the "forward" look, and perhaps some body metal to cover a bit of the grill at the ends?

loudbang likes this.
  17. madfish

madfish

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Lower the lid on that '60 wagon and you've got a winner!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Something like this???

Custom2.jpg

James D, Old6rodder, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

These DKWs had quite a reputation for performance, as good power could be got out of the 2-stroke triples. Front-drive gave good handling within the constraints of the performance envelope: the layout eventually became the signature Audi layout. Hypothetically Quattro AWD is possible — and bigs-and-littles can work if the rear diff ratio is shortened proportionately to the rear tyre diameter. That suggests a different kind of performance build to a gasser, more a kind of '60s street machine/c.1960 Monte Carlo Rally mash-up: lowered a bit with a slight rake, Minilites, driving lights, perhaps exhaust tips ahead of the rear wheels. It'd be a sort of a GTi in a late-traditional idiom:
    DKW_Junior_GT.jpg
    Note radiator over transaxle:
    dkw junior 03.jpg

Here in South Africa, horrible liberties have been taken with DKW Juniors:
    dkw junior 01.jpg
    dkw junior 02.jpg

There was also the 1959-65 DKW 1000SP, which looked like a miniature '55-'57 T-bird.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    themoose likes this.
  21. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'm a bit in love with that! Now to find a wagon, and a couple Starliner roofs...

Oh, yeah, and a BIG pile of money.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I feel like if you're going to do the Ranch Wagon, you need to keep the original wagon roofline and rear pillars, but add the hardtop doors and B pillar. Like how the B pillars on this Olds wagon mimic the 4 door hardtop roof, but the back of the wagon is still squared off. I don't have the 'shop skills to pull off a rendering.

1958-Oldsmobile-Super-88-Fiesta-Station-Wagon-red.jpg

23. Squablow

Squablow

Can someone add wheels like those on the red car to my '57 Chevy, including the thin stripe whitewalls? I can't find any dead-on side shots of the '56 to use for the wheels and I'm not skilled enough to just "make up" a set. I don't want to see "smoothie" wheels, these are clearly OEM style steel wheels and regular 10" baby moon caps.

Or, does anyone have a side shot of the red '56 (or another car with identical wheels) that I could use to try to 'shop it myself? I'm still a hack and I'm not as good at importing stuff, but if I had something at the exact same angle I might be able to pull it off. Thanks in advance.

1_56_apr18.JPG
    20200714_190630.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  24. madfish

madfish

25. @Squablow Here it is a little lower. What color are you thinking of painting it??

wheels.jpg

26. madfish

madfish

@themoose

Paint? We don't need no stinkin' paint...

1957.jpg

slv63, OahuEli, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  27. @madfish @Squablow I can't help it I just like shiny things...

red.jpg

28. madfish

madfish

loudbang, Peanut 1959 and themoose like this.
  29. Eso no es lo que ella dice:eek:

madfish likes this.
  30. Squablow

Squablow

So this is definitely what I was thinking about, and I like it. The redlines and mag wheels are neat looking on their own, but they get lost in a sea of already-busy paint. I might actually do a set of these this summer, the redlines are pretty old anyway and I have the wheels and caps for it.

shoppedbabymoons.jpg

But then I see this, damn. That does look really good. Like, really good. I had put this car together intentionally as no-frills and old paint so I could use it without having it garaged all summer or worry about it in a parking lot, not to mention it'd take a fair amount of work to paint it nicely, time that I could spend on other projects. I figured if I did end up giving it a quick paint job, I'd make it white, since white tends to make bodywork look good, that'd be the easy choice.

Damn it though, it sure looks good in red. Can't argue with that. This image is going to torture me. I've definitely got to work through a bunch of other projects before I should even consider repainting this car. Still though, damn.

shoppedinred.jpg

loudbang and Rot 'n Kustom like this.