Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Back ... from a long time ago

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Center of the Galaxie, Jan 15, 2021.

1. I was delivered a vehicle a week ago, it got to my shop on a flat deck. It belongs to a long time friend of mine of nearly 50 years. It wasn't running well, I found 2 stuck intake valves. After freeing them up and getting it running right, I thought it should probably have an oil change after sitting so long.

Our lives get busy and we seem to forget a lot of the mundane things we do day after day just to keep the cycle going. Eat, sleep, work ... week after week, year after year. Anyway, I found an oil change sticker on the door. Damned if it wasn't one of my own stickers from 1989 in my own handwriting. I have no recollection of working on the car back then, although I do remember him owning it back in those days. It's strange the things we do, almost as if on auto pilot, and then never give them another thought. 100_1121.JPG

quick85, ct1932ford, vtx1800 and 31 others like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

3. Great car.
    I was in Brandon for Super Run 2010. It's way out there on the prairie.

4. Not me, I remember almost every detail on every car I have owned, but the difference is, that I did not work on cars for a living. When I was on autopilot, I was moving at 500 or more miles per hour, and at that speed, a person always has to remain alert. Things can go very wrong in a hurry, even on a beautiful day.
    I love your old car. Back when I was 15, my first car was a 39 standard coupe. I had 40 Ford envy, because I loved the design of the front and the dash so much. Now, I would be happy to have either design.
    Bob

Deuces, 61SuperMonza, Stogy and 2 others like this.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That looks like an honest old Ford! Very cool!

6. Absolutely! Anyone would be proud of that car and your cool history with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes one back and makes one want...and you worked on it back in the younger days...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That's great, what type of aviation? Military or civilian
    What type of aircraft?

Deuces likes this.
  9. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I'm assuming fighter aircraft

Deuces likes this.
  10. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Great post, being on the other side of the young man scale of life it made me thankful for waking up and having another day to enjoy. It is snowing/raining here in the mountains so as gloomy as it is, I am still thankful. It really is the small things that count.

Stogy and Center of the Galaxie like this.
  11. I maybe should be a bit more clear. The car still belongs to my friend. It's a great car that has been out of service for too many years.

It's kind of nice being a part of bringing this vehicle back to life. The goal is to make it work well enough so it won't be easy to leave it in storage for long periods of time. I think it should be driven at least once a week, 3 seasons of the year, and I'm willing to help out with that. :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  12. I have been offline with computer issues. I flew 10 years in the military, Tutor, T-33, T-39, T-38 Talon, CF-104, CF-101
    Civilian 30 years, DC-8, 727, 737, 747, DC10. Many variants of these types.
    Piper Apache, Senneca, Aero Commander, Turbo Commander, Stinson, Lake Amphibian,
    Everything I flew, is now sitting on a concrete peg somewhere.
    Now, it is just shooting IFR approaches on the Flight Sim and looking skyward.
    Bob

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  13. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That is awesome. Aviation has been a huge part of my life. My father flew commercially with many type ratings. Anything from a C-47 to an L-100-30, and 737-200 through 800.
    Dad has had a c-180A since I was 3. Many great adventures in that airplane.
    Inspired me to be a pilot as well. I have been licensed for 30 years now.
    Summers are great fun flying with dad. He has always been my hero.
    Pilots and Hot Rodders are a special breed.

j-jock likes this.
  14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

There's a pic of the family bird. Been in the family since 1974. Fairbanks North Star-20130609-00024.jpg

15. That part of my life was the biggest challenge and the most fun.
    I forgot to mention a few, such as the C-47. That was what we did our assessment on when I started with the airline. I love water flying, not much time on floats, but a fair amount on boats. I owned a Lake LA4.
    Bob

16. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Lake aircraft are very cool. Never flown one. I will say almost all of my flight time is on floats and in that 1957 C-180A. I realized that what I really enjoyed about aviation was the hands on aspect. Pilot age and understanding navigation and the aids provided. Dad is still trying to get me to take a flying job.
    I fly because I love it.
    Sorry for getting so far off topic.
    NORM

Center of the Galaxie and j-jock like this.