Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy 235ci - auto trans swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Benanti, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Michael Benanti

Michael Benanti
    from New Jersey

Hi,

Hope all are well in these times.
    I have a 55 chevy 1/2 ton with the original drive line, in-line 235ci with manual trans ( 3 on the tree).
    I'm curious to know or find out how I can convert that manual trans to an automatic, keeping the 235 engine?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a large sack of money and buy the adapter and then buy a 200R4 transmission.
    Transmission Adapter (langdonsstovebolt.com)
    You also want the starter he shows.
    The 200R-4 works better for the application because it has a lower first gear and 0.67 overdrive letting the 235 take off from a stop better while allowing it to cruise at highway speeds with the stock rear end.
    TH350 vs 200-4R Gearing 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Reverse
    200-4R 2.74 1.57 1.00 0.67 2.07
    TH350 2.52 1.52 1.00 N/A 1.92

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have a Powerglide that will bolt right up. Unfortunately the Powerglide and Turboglide are the only automatics used behind that engine except for a few Hydramatics used in trucks. The PG and TG are no hell. The alternative is to adapt a more modern trans (expensive) or swap out engine and trans together.
    In your case I would be tempted to install a Chevy V8 and matching trans out of a later model pickup truck or full size car.
    The Glide I have came out of a 50,000 mile 1962 granny car with a six. Probably no good to you because I live in Canada.

4. The down side to the automatic is that the kick down linkage is a pain to figure out. I would put a T-5 behind it and that will pretty much bolt right in.

HSF, VANDENPLAS and belair like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buffalo Enterprises sells an adapter also. He can also supply a flex plate with the correct bolt pattern. It has a starter mount welded on so any cheapo Chevrolet starter will bolt on. It will accept any GM auto or stick bellhousing or can.

270ci likes this.
  6. Michael Benanti

Michael Benanti
    from New Jersey

Thank you!!

7. Michael Benanti

Michael Benanti
    from New Jersey

Thanks Rusty!!

8. Michael Benanti

Michael Benanti
    from New Jersey