Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for steering box rebuild (or builder)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonejacklarry, Jan 8, 2021.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '54 Dodge C1B6 that needs the steering box rebuilt. Lares, Co., in Minnesota usually supplies these boxes to various vendors but have not sent any out as they have no cores. This box is limited to a few years of 50's Dodge trucks so you can readily see the lack of demand here.

They did say that they do not accept cores from individuals but must go through an auto parts store with whom they deal. You probably know what happens, then, to the prices.

From the exploded picture it is a bunch of caged bearings, races, shims, etc. but I lack the know how to put it together. The short version is that I have two cores but no know how.

Any suggestions?

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay the box needs a rebuild . Check with Kanter brothers and see if the carry the replacement parts or have an exchange. If not , roll up your sleeves (try to find a Motor manual) takes pics and measurements if needed, pull apart and match bearings/races /seals etc with a good bearing shop. You may need to make any gaskets needed. Other option is take the box to a good machine shop and tell them to call you when it’s time to pick up. Do you know anyone that can assist you ? Check YouTube. One other thing , maybe you have a shop that specializes in front suspension, alignments . They maybe able to rebuild or send you in the right direction to get the box rebuilt.

AHotRod likes this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Kanter did not do this type of thing. I do appreciate your other suggestions and I will get started Monday morning.

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Honestly my first thought is you tube it.

second thought is how much can there be to it? The Ford boxes are dead simple. I wonder if some of my old books have this information in them. 1954 dodge truck? I’ll try to look tomorrow

rusty valley likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

i agree with tim, not much to it, and you can do it. just because its a 54 dodge does not mean its unique. most times that same box was used in many different applications with slight variations. an old motors manual would identify it by the manufacturer as a saginaw, borg warner, etc, not by the truck it came in. then they have instructions to rebuild it. and not much needed as far as special tools. bearings all have a number, and bushings can all be bought by size. only problem may be if the worm or sector shaft are bad. the worm will be common to many uses, but the sector shaft may be a dodge only thing as they like to fuck us up with a different length or spline count so even though its a common box you have to buy some parts from dodge. now days first thing i do is check ebay. bearings are cheap, and a dodge sector shaft would not be a high demand expensive part either. you have two boxes, maybe you dont need any parts!!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They aren't hard to replace the bearings and one should be able to find the bearings though a bearing house but finding the worm or sector gear if it needs them is going to be a challenge.

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

9. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Rock Auto offers a service for that,dont think they do it themselves,but have someone you send your parts to get rebuilt,might be worth a look to see who it is?. harvey

10. Try N.B. Pease Auto Parts in Palmer, Mass. 1-413-283-7620. Nelson specializes in mechanical parts.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok so the first book I grabbed is all car stuff the trucks must be a different book or maybe a different section? Either way here is manual - you didn’t mention power- steering info for the cars which is likely the same as trucks.

looks extremely similar to the Ford boxes which I could send you a link to @Aaron D. you tube video on rebuilding which was excellent if
    You need to wrap you head around it visually

you are more than capable of doing this your self with hand tools.
    hopefully these load in order

E648B3AC-53D7-440E-827F-896EE1316AEA.jpeg 23B01643-4BC8-4F63-A935-1A896FF963A6.jpeg 63260AC7-D33C-4F6E-95EF-D04CE3E7DBC3.jpeg DCAD9C3A-5C32-4C2E-A026-919C7B0E1BDD.jpeg 7A4623F0-FB07-4B37-B598-E6B45697CD4C.jpeg

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Follow up question. What’s yours doing that
    You think it needs rebuilt? Maybe it just needs adjusted?

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the information, Tim. I really appreciate it. What makes me think it needs rebuilt? Well, all the fluid/grease appeared to be on the outside of the case and on the frame. I took off the fill cap and it had rust on everything that didn't have grease on it and that wasn't much. And the thing won't move without a lot of effort and crunching noise.

I have a line on a used one that sounds like a good prospect. If that one is smooth and rust free then I'll be back with more dumb questions. Thanks, again.

Baumi likes this.
  14. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Redhead Steering Gears rebuilt my 55 T-bird box. There was excessive play, and it was bone dry when I removed it. After rebuilding the box, they substituted 00 grease for gear oil. Chevrolet did the same thing under warranty to keep early Corvette boxes from leaking. I wouldn't hesitate to use their service again.

AHotRod likes this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask all the dumb questions you want as long as you don't change your avatar:cool:

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to start a pay per view for that avatar.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

hope its not too much, i am poor

18. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

call red head they blueprint boxes ,not just rebuild , fix design flaws/mic the balls etc,, so odd stuff should not be out of the norm for them ,, found them hunting a 66 only bendix p/s box for a ford pu years ago (to do a conversion where the customer wanted to keep his 3 on the tree in a 65) really hard to find ,,,had one in stock and allready built! done a few with them since and they were exceptional ,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

AHotRod likes this.
  19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Stuff it full of cornhead grease and see what happens, maybe vintage powerwagons in Iowa offers parts or service.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like the grease leaked out the bottom plate. On fords you adjust them by shiming that with the gaskets. I’d say it leaked the oil out and got crusty.

if it’s not something your driving I’d pull it, clean it the best I could and plunge it into a bucket of citric acid for a couple days. It will eat the rust but not the paint, plating, paint etc.

See what it looks like at that point. I’ve been really surprised what a soak in that will loosen up.

21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the tips. I'll try those and see where I am.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think this is the video where Aaron puts his steering box together. It’s a Ford but based on the diagram I bet the dodge would be awe fully
    Similar.

I took 3 or 4 boxes apart last summer to make my one good box. It was all pretty straight forward save for a few being rusted very very solid, and trying to remove and replace a bearing race that seldom actually needs replaced.

no special tools needed.

23. gatz

gatz

No idea if it it would work, but I have the original box & long steering shaft from the ‘40 Chrysler that I no longer need.

24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gatz- Thank you and I'll keep that option in mind.
    Tim- Thanks for the video. That makes it seem doable for a sledge hammer mechanic like I am.

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it really is simple. The only struggles I had were taking seized boxes apart and finding a part that’s not made anymore because it rarely is worn out.

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

27. I've never done a dodge, but I do offer rebuild services for all major components for classic American cars and trucks. You can find me on Instagram @Seattle_speedshop, our email [email protected] and our telephone is 206-257-4468 open Tuesday-saturday 9-5 pacific

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  28. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Larry, not sure where you are located.
    Best ever steering shop is located in San Jose ca.
    I’ve sent them forklift gears , semi truck gears ,antique car gears , late model car gears , midget and sprint car gears . You name it , the can fix it..

Straight Line Steering..
    408-289-9850
    Ask for Mark
    1802 smith ave
    San Jose ca

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've found a good used box that is purported to be smooth and "clunk" free. I'll get that one in a couple of weeks and see where I am.

Tim likes this.