Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crank rear seal stop leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 10, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

All the threads I'm finding are 10+ years old.. Got a weeping one piece rear seal. Going to try some seal swell. Any opinions on one vs. another, or what the active ingredient is? Or any good/bad experiences. It leaves about a quarter size spot, maybe a couple drops, overnight.

loudbang likes this.
  2. I have not had good luck with it but usually I have tried it on a rear or front main that was really leaking.
    Bardahl is what I have always been told is the best.

loudbang likes this.
  3. getow

getow

I wouldnt try any "magic in a can". They tend to soften seals enough to turn em into "wet noodles". Also depending on what motor, it might have a "rope" style seal and it wont soften anyhow, just make more issues that you dont need elseware. One other thing that id consider. There are somewhere around 591 drops in 1 fluid ounce. And 1 drop on da ground looks like a good spot over nite. So if you are losing 10 drops a nite, it would take 2 months to lose 1 ounce. And there are 32 ounces in a quart. About 5 years to lose a quart aint to bad. JMO

Sandgroper, seb fontana and alanp561 like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Only problem is your simple math does not account for what is lost when driving. JMO

Sandgroper, Wanderlust and 2OLD2FAST like this.

5. getow

getow

Exactly. There are a ton of different variations of variables in that equation i came up with, and didnt mention. And driving is one of em, unfortunately. Point being, the leak may not be as bad as it looks on da ground. If it is leaking all that bad, im sure da puddle would much bigger than indicated. And the addition of adding oil would be a good indication of the actual loss. Fix it right or save da money for oil. Dont buy some useless crap that aint going to work anyhow. JMO

Sandgroper likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

that's not much of a leak for an old car....and I doubt the snake oil will do anything for it.

Let us know if it works, well be amazed.

Sandgroper and jaracer like this.
  7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I would make sure it is breathing good. OT 5.0 Fords had a habit of leaking, people would change the pcv valve and not realize that if you removed the grommet in the intake where the valve went there was a canister with something similar to steel wool which would clog up and not allow the motor to breath. Drive a screw in the canister and pull it out and pop a new one in no more oil leaks. Just a thought might not apply to your ride.

loudbang likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Unless there are oil spots forming on the trunk lid your not leaking enough oil going down the road to worry about.

9. When some one calls me and ask what the best leak sealer is for a leak.. I tell them a new gasket/seal.

If in the store I say throw a rock and what ever one it hits will be your best bet... I never recommend any one snake oil.

Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  10. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I always thought that leaking oil was a form of rust prevention.

da34guy, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Factory indicator. When you don't see an oil spot on the floor it means you're out of oil.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snake oil doesn't do much except make snake oil peddlers rich.
    Those little cans of Bardahl gas treatment would take care of the iced up fuel lines that we often had in the 60's if we bought gas from the cheap place though.
    The best thing if it is a big deal to you is to fix it right and replace the seal.

13. Most people name their cars after girls but I knew right away that Ol' Blue was a boy because everywhere we went he like to mark his territory.

14. 1ton

1ton

Was at the bar earlier and noticed my car dripping on the parking lot. Did I care? No, because I just gulped down two beers and 1182 drops of Jack.

Sandgroper likes this.
  15. clem

clem

Only once have I tried what you are asking - used this - 100% success for a dried up and dripping rear main seal !
    So impressed that I kept the container from about 7- 8 years ago, ( I must say that I didn’t really expect it to work ).
    Obviously I am one of the few fortunate ones to succeed - maybe due to the fact that for one of the few times in my life I actually read the instructions first, and followed them.......

A2E80A17-2234-4798-BB43-FFF2A44BC5A9.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Sandgroper likes this.
  16. Does a Band-Aid work on a heart attack? Fix it the right way

17. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal has good reviews but I've never personally tried it.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Actually there are many successful reviews out there.

I was unaware that high mileage motor oils contain seal conditions. Happen to have a gallon on the shelf and need an oil change anyway so here we go (it's got over 100k but runs great).. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but I get an oil change out of the deal anyway. I didn't mind the leak when my driveway was gravel, now with 40' of pavers laid down by yours truly, I do.

hm.JPG

HemiDeuce, Blues4U and pprather like this.