Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘60 Chevrolet Generator Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Jan 6, 2021.

1. I need a generator for my ‘60 El Camino with a 348.
    I’ve got a generator for a ‘59 Pontiac as well as a generator off my ‘60 parts car with a 235.
    Are the generator mounting points the same for all the GM generators? I’ve got a crusty generator that came with the El Camino, but it’s 1500 miles away so I can’t use it to compare.

Thanks in advance.

2. Budget36

Budget36

What I do in cases like this, is find a part supplier who deals in this. Maybe even NAPA

Look their part numbers for both vehicles and see if they are a match.

Elcohaulic and 61Cruiser like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I looked in Hollander and they list 58-62 chevs being all the same with the only difference being the amperage, those that had P/S and some special one with a double bearing end. I assume they all bolt up because they didn't even call out engine sizes

Budget36 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  4. Thanks. So maybe this six cylinder one will work.
    The car’s are equipped more or less the same with the exception of the 348. I wonder if the 348 would require a higher amperage generator?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Depends on what options the 348 car had. Specially ordered HD gen/reg usually limited to police, fire, taxi, or AC equipment. Either of your spares should work, Pontiac may have a rubber cushioned front mount and terminals may be in an awkward position.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Only two generators as I recall, 30 and 36 amp? Someone will get it right, I don’t recall;)