Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rear seat in a Late 30's Chevy coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MAIN713, Jan 5, 2021.

1. MAIN713

MAIN713

Hey folks I am looking for ideas for a rear seat in my 39 Chevy Coupe. I have two kids 5 and 1 and will need to figure out seating for them. I know it will be a custom deal but that is fine. What have you used or seen used? I am thinking a 3rd row seat from an suv might be a cool way to go but I am unsure of fitment. Thanks for any input.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The second row is usually shorter length wise so you can get to the back seat in a van . Other possibilities are small car bucket seats, jump seats or make your own .

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Check out the sideways facing seats in extended cab pickups like my Ford Ranger.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You might look at some of the modern import cars that have a folding backseat. They are narrower, and might make a better choice. Plus I like the ability to have the backseat fold down when the kids aren't with you.
    Since I've got a '39 Passenger Coupe, but no kids or grandkids to ride in back, I deleted my backseat. Actually never had it, so I built up a base, and trunk divider panel to finish off behind the front seats.
    I used a fold down rear seat in my '63 Falcon gasser, and made a divider panel behind it, so when it was folded down it had a clean black naugahyde panel to look at.

5. My understanding is a rear seat out of a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker fits fairly well with minor modification, and I am searching for one for my 40.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Certain models of Chevy coupes used sideways seats facing each other. I always wondered if an adult could ever sit back there with those seats? Probably fine for kids.

7. You might also talk with whoever is going to upholster the car. They can often do wonders with plywood and foam.

8. chopped

chopped

Tape measure and a junkyard. Found a backseat for my 55 chevy that way. Came from a 90's Buick if I remember correctly.

9. MAIN713

MAIN713

Thanks you guys! I am thinking about a 4th gen Camaro rear set up would work pretty well. My dad has had a 97 Camaro since I was in Jr High the rear seat felt small even when I was small ha. Whichever seat I use I will need to run hook ups for car seats.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Guessing "hookups for car seats" means seat belts? If so, then be sure to grab the seat belts for the backseat when you grab a seat!

11. MAIN713

MAIN713

In our modern cars there is a 1/4 in U rod in between the top and bottom seats on each side of the seat for a locking mechanism for the car seat. I will probably end up fabbing them

12. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

There's precious little space available, so I hope you're short legged!

If you haven't done it already, mount your front seat(s) and try to stuff your child seats behind them. Chances are good you'll find the idea of a back seat impractical, if not impossible.

Maicobreako and 1971BB427 like this.
  13. MAIN713

MAIN713

The good thing is that I am 5'7 and my wife is 5'5 and my kids are 5yr and 1yr. I may actually be able to mount the front seat a tad further forward if need be. Its too late to turn back now I already told my wife this is a family car ha.

David Gersic likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've ridden in the space behind the seat in a '39 Chev coupe and still think sitting sideways in opera seats like my Ford Ranger is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

39ChevyBob likes this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

In my 39 Pontiac I used the rear seat from a 97 Grand Prix. The top fit with no modifications, the bottom was a little narrow so I made arm rest/fillers like a convertible has. I also cut down the bottom in the rear, for more leg room.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    chopped likes this.
  16. MAIN713

MAIN713

Thanks Bill ,
    I'll look into the Grand Prix.

17. Jokester

Jokester

I had a '39 Chevy coupe at one time. It had original "jump" seats from the factory. They folded up against the side wall if needed, and folded down for seating. One adult could sit sideways comfortably. Two??? Only small children.

.bjb

goldmountain likes this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

[​IMG]

I wouldn't call the area in back "impractical" myself. It's not like a sedan, but there's plenty of room for kids. I don't have a backseat in my '39, but was tempted when I was building the package platform for it.

[​IMG]

Lot of room back there!

19. inthweedz

inthweedz

I used a seat out of a (Japanese) 85 Ford Courier ??, I had the recess for the gear lever removed when it was reupholstered..
    I left it as a folding back, bolted to the floor above the internal fuel tank, and secured the back with a catch to the parcel tray under the rear window, allowing it fold down for longer loads..
    Our family of five (2 adults, 3 kids, 8 thru 13 years) did a few long trips (200 miles) was a little cramped, but we survived..

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 97 Monte Carlo that used to be my wife's daily beater that has pretty much the same seat as a 97 Grand Prix. You sit low as hell in those in the Monte Carlo though. I got back there once and never again.
    I've got a 2 something K suburban third seat that would probably work. It's a two butt seat and the lean back folds and the base would be super easy to modify. I picked it up for the back seat for the 31 Vic I had and it's buried in the back of the van my flathead is stored in. I wouldn't wish that one on anyone now though as mice got in the van but the size might be right and third seats in those rigs often don't get much use.

I don't think Jump seats are going to fly with your wife or with safety people now. I have a Ranger with jump seats and would hate to ride ten miles on those buggers.

21. MAIN713

MAIN713

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help !