Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A header wood, alittle or alot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Jan 3, 2021.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Mocking up the wood header and tin cover on my 31 tudor and I noticed that the tin cover doesn't cover the upper 3/8" inch or so wood header. Is this normal or a problem?

I've seen another one like this but I can't remember where, where they built a small tin cover to go over the exposed wood then then the original cover was installed on top of it.

Anyway here's a pic to show my problem(?). So do I need to change something or just leave it along?

Attached Files:

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks !

I was wondering if it was a header flaw or a factory fit.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My pickup has original header, it looks to have 1/4” to 3/8” exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've run into the same thing on three Model A's and marked the edge of the metal and used a 17" air file to remove most of the extra wood. Don't know if it's right or wrong but looks better without the extra wood and the visor fits better.

wackdaddy likes this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I did consider bringing out the old air file and dusting off the cobwebs and taking it to the header but wasn't sure if this was acceptable behavior !

7. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I'd trial fit your visor too at this point. Very well might have to shave down the top of the header to get it to fit correctly. I did

8. use a piece of fender welting to cover the exposed wood. have the bead of the welting sit just above the edge so when the visor goes on it presses down on the bead and seals it.

9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm actually afraid that the problem is its a coupe metal cover and not a truck/tudor panel.

If I understand correctly the truck/tudor panel is actually almost a 1/2 inch taller, I will have to try to find some measurements of the height comparison between the two ...