Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 51 Buick... new lines... photoshop help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Yaril

Yaril

I originally had white pin-stripe tape scallops on it, but its time for a change. i no longer like the scallops i did and was thinking of new scallop designs and/or flames in the same white pin-stripe tape.

OK, so here is my sketch of it clean, in case someone wants to take a whack at it, scallops or flames:
    [​IMG]

Here is my sketch of some flames i had in mind:
    [​IMG]

Here is my sketch with the flames on the car:
    [​IMG]

This pic has no skirts on it, but i plan on putting them back on plus the lake pipes (single exit):
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time guys,
    Yaril

2. I'd stay away from the flames. I think flames look real good on hot rods, not on customs, IMO.

If it were me, I would simply run a 2 tone paint job on the car, gloss black on top, and some sort of contrasting color under the trim from the front wheelwell to the front of the rear wheelwell...

Perhaps blood red metallic?

3. Yaril

Yaril

i hear you, i agree that they look better on hotrods. I might look into some heavy flake or metallics / pearls. i want to stay away from red, you know. Maybe some crazy color on the lower half with the same color scallops over the headlights, trunk and roof.

Can someone p-shop some ideas?

Thanks for the input.

4. brewsir

brewsir

aw come on...if you like flames then flame it! I like your design...but then again I like flames !!!

5. Yaril

Yaril

yeah, i guess im undicided and need to see it to make up my mind. i know that whatever i put on the car now will be on there for a year or two until i can afford to do a proper rebuilding of the car and do all the other things i have planned for it.

6. I like those flames, I think they look great! I'm even cool with doing them in pinstiping tape. I pinstriped the first set of flames on my '64 Poncho conv before I stripped the paint off. Ran that set of flames for a couple of years and really liked them....enough to do the same set in primer later.

Flames better on hot rods than customs?! Don't come to my house...I flame most everyting I got! Flames are gooooood!!! :)

7. markanthony

markanthony

Dig it! with one suggested modification to the flame...you'll see it in the picture. The rest of your flames are gorgeous organic flames the tribal style tit at the front throws my eye off.

Attached Files:

8. Yaril

Yaril

Yeah, that little piece of the flame does throw it off. I'll work on that. Maybe ill chalk it out on the car and snap a pick to see what it looks like.

9. builtbyme

builtbyme

I also think the stock trim screams for a two-tone job, maybe copper or bronze... (looks a bit orange, but you get the idea)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Me and acouple friends built a sled out of a 51 2 dr special a dozen years ago. Early 90's corvette ruby red on top with gunmetal gray below the trim. It made the car look fantastic. We also moved the 3 port holes below the trim to visually lower the car which really set the stance off. My .02

11. Yaril

Yaril

builtbyme, im digging that shiney black paint with the copper. Looks good! Thanks.

hoboy56, man i wish you had a pick of your buds buick, i can sorta picture it in my head. im curious to see what the port-holes look like under the trim, never thought of doing something like that.

Well, i chalked the flames on the car, ill try and post the pic later today.

12. Whiplash

Whiplash

13. builtbyme

builtbyme

Oh yeah...
    [​IMG]

14. Yaril

Yaril

gotta love that chop! wish i had the skills to do that. One day, one day...

i like the look of the port-holes under the trim. they do draw your eyes down. very cool.

great work guys.

15. Whiplash

Whiplash

I removed the 3rd eye, added skirts

16. Yaril

Yaril

here is a quick not so good p-shop i did, the pic is of my car in the backjard on jack stands so i had to put it where it will sit. i added lake pipes and wheels, the flames are chalked on by me:

[​IMG]

17. koachwerks

koachwerks

Those flames look pretty slick Tyler! I like the look better than a two-tone (the two-tone looks better on the 53 buicks)

What would it look like if the flames licked up a bit past the chrome strip? Chalk it up on the right side and send us a pic!

As for the port holes, I think it would be best to leave them in the original location, especially if you go with the flames.

Chris

18. Yaril

Yaril

thanks Chris,

i too like the flames more, for now. the 2 tone does look better on 53 cause of the swoopsphere. i think the port-holes will stay where they are, i dont want to get into too much.

19. Tin Can

Tin Can

The flames look great, i too put flames on almost everthing. i have a 53 buick that I am building and am not sure on a paint scheme. Black primer is my route for this year whenever i get that far. The photoshop mods look great.

20. two tone?

Attached Files:

• rust.jpg
      rust.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  21. maybe blue

Attached Files:

22. New 52'

New 52'

I think it's amazing to see the exact same car I hace a year older..what are you running under the hood?? if it's your original 8 we need to chat! Derek

23. Whiplash

Whiplash

Everyone has a chop top, how about an extended top? let's start something revolutionary[​IMG]

24. Yaril

Yaril

ha, nobody is ready for that type of revolution. lets just wait up a bit on that one.

New 52': yeah i got the original straight 8 still running strong. i just backed it with a 700R4 to get overdrive, it had a 3 on the tree. i'm in the works of installling all the nick nacks, shifter, cables.... then i gotta do the rear diff.

25. Tin Can

Tin Can

Where did you get an adapter for a 700r4? My dynaflow is crap in my car but the straight 8 runs great

26. Yaril

Yaril

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

it aint cheap, but i say if your gonna do it, try and do it once! my 3 on the tree took a crap and the rear end was starting to wine, so rather than rebuilding it and doing 65 top speed on the highway, i opted for a 700R4. with the right rear end 65 will be a good cruising speed. The straight 8 has plenty of tourque so it should pull up to high speeds for long distance drives. also a/c helps on the long trips ;)

27. New 52'

New 52'

I'm a lucky fella, I'm running the synchomesh tranny 3 on the tree...much better tranny than the no no dynaflows..D

28. Tin Can

Tin Can

How available is the syncromesh? How is it to attach to the straight 8

29. 36joe

36joe
    from Tennessee

I agree on the two tone, but don't go for the orange and black....I suggest you consider the top and bottom sides in cream with the middle in somewhat of a cranberry or slightly brighter red.

30. hoboy56, man i wish you had a pick of your buds buick, i can sorta picture it in my head. im curious to see what the port-holes look like under the trim, never thought of doing something like that.

[/quote]Here's a picture of a 14x20? pic I have hanging in my living room

Attached Files: