Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drag-U-La build...Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnylightening, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

Hi guys! For awhile now I've wanted to do my own version of Dragula (Munsters Coffin Car). Im building completely from scratch. My plans so far are to build the frame using 2"x3" 3/16" wall box tubing. Ill be using a disk brake converted model A front suspension with split wishbones, Chrysler 318LA, A230 3 speed trans, and a Chrysler 8.75 rearend. Im just in the gathering parts stage at the moment. Im hoping to start building the frame itself either this week or next. Im getting hung up on which way to go about doing the rear suspension. Transverse leaf, coilover 4 link, or coil springs with stand alone shocks? If I were to do the transverse setup how do I know where to set my spring perches? I understand the weight has to be on the vehicle to set pinion angles but how do you set it all up to get an idea on ride height? ANY and ALL help will be appreciated.

2. badshifter

badshifter

Dragula doesn't have rear suspension, like most early dragsters. You sit over the rear end.

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

The original was solid rear suspension btw.

To your questions, you set car to ride height (where you want it to sit once done) during construction then build the suspension to your ride height. This also allows you to set pinion angles, shock angles etc.

Easiest to build and hide would probably be a ladder bar and coil over set up.

Always wanted to build one myself so be sure to post pics of your build!

4. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

Yes I understand the original Dragula was a solid suspension. Im wanting to drive mine on the road so I'd feel more safe with some sort of rear suspension. Back when I pulled pickup my rear suspension was pinned and at 10mph it the pits it was a bugger to ride in.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you are going to have the seat behind the rear axle, using a spring is going to take up a lot of your sitting space. I think you are gonna need to use coils.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Always wanted to see under the bonnet to see how they cooled the engine.

When I was building it in my head I always figured putting radiator under the bonnet and letting a few inches hang below the car to give it some size.

Thought with the radiator painted black it would probably just disappear and wouldnt be noticed under the car.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

8. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_2781.jpg

The radiator is under the coffin lid, and there is a screen at the front to let some air in. Good only for running short periods of time.

9. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

Was thinking of placing the axle behind the box. Sort of like a t bucket

10. 1pickup

1pickup

I think if that's the route you are going, a transverse spring behind set up makes the most sense. Look at '35-'40 Fords for examples. You could kick the frame up behind the "box" & easily make a spring mount. A tall "T" spring (chromed, of course) would fit the build.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

Was really leaning towards the transverse spring. Can I set the car at ride height with blocks to mount my spring perches without weight on the rear? Can you then set pinion angle with weight on by adjusting the rear by turning the wishbone/hairpin?

12. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

I'm not building a copycat version of the actual dragula car. I love the low look of the original but my safety means more.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe you can contact Keith Dean at South End KuStoms his dad built the original and Kieth built some clones or contact Craig Hopkins at Kiwi Kustom Upholstery, he did the upholstery on the clones.

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'd use torsion bars. Nice tight fit, can be unobtrusive allowing you to get similar looks to Drag-U-La.
    It's sounding like you're building a coffin-bodied T-bucket. Then just build it like a T-bucket. "Engineering" problems solved.
    Marcus...

chryslerfan55, grumpy65, Tman and 8 others like this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Sme pic's of the clone at my friends upholstery shop! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

There have been a lot of "inspired by" builds. I'd suggest doing searches for pictures and see how these have been done and how successful they are in being able to look good. Spoiler: many don't!

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  18. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

I've seen a lot and personally I see a lot of cool ones....this is the reason I'm building one

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd use quarter-ecliptics in the rear. The don't take a lot of room.

20. This^^^^^ along with some long ladder bars would be dead simple.

21. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Think diesel truck, "suspension seat".
    You'd have to make the bubble a little taller, but the coffin body would be more correct with the axle in the original, mostly hidden location.

And yeah, you wouldn't have to hang the radiator low enough to be visible, if you use a big electric fan, and maybe a small scoop/deflector.

Mike

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and rod1 like this.
  22. Not sure what state you are in or if it’s been mentioned. The first thing you need to do is to see if you can get tags and drive it on the street. I’ve seen a bunch of clones and such but none of them were street legal. Nostalgia drags and displays. The things you might have to incorporate to make it legal might take it over the top. I’m not trying to knock it by any means. I’ve always wanted one myself. Good luck, hope to see it come true.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  23. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

If I choose to go with the Elliptical leaf setup I can have the rear end up close to where dragula is. My ride height will be higher but I'm ok with that.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would consider a "swing arm" rear suspension, with the engine-trans-rear, all coupled together, and mounted the the arm. Depending on width, quarter elliplics might be a good choice. IMG_3878.JPG

25. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

The frame itself will be 24-26" and my rear is 55" flange to flange

26. Dennis Taylor built one with the radiator laying between the frame rails, probably shows a lot of build detail on Alex Taylors youtube channel.

27. Jonnylightening

Jonnylightening

I've seen that one. Pretty neat setup for sure!

28. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Marty Strode has a great idea. To keep proportions right, you need to eliminate a driveshaft. To have a suspension, a swing arm powertrain is great. Hard for many to understand. Wheelstanders like Little Red Wagon had it, as well as Magicar Fueler and others. You could have a single big pivot mount up in front of crankshaft pulley, to get some suspension roll capability. You just need to design a floor to be certain the moving swing arm won't pinch your legs!