Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. That was kind of what I was finding. Enjoying your build!

loudbang likes this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. I feel like I should just hang up my tools and stop. Super build, and the documentation is great.

loudbang likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Probably one of the most in depth, well photographed "how to build a hot rod" that i have seen here,
    only a 5 year member... the budget list helps put the hobby in reality for the wonderers...
    lets them see where they can save on parts and labor... good stuff...
    go dice go !

brEad and loudbang like this.
  4. Thank you guys! I do appreciate the kind words, very humble and thankful for the journey
    To be honest, it's still pretty surreal to open my garage and see the roadster sitting there. If feels so good to see it take shape but hard to believe it has come this far.

Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  5. All the seams have been sealed....This Eastwood seam sealer is a nice product to work with.....strong smell but it lays down nice.
    I am now scuffing the sealer and primer for a full top final coat of primer.
    Waiting for TCP Global to deliver the Raptor liner. If it gets here on time maybe I get to shoot it this weekend.

thumbnail_IMG_6843.jpg

6. Made some progress over the weekend, got the underneath fully primed and masked off.
    The Raptor Liner finally arrived this Saturday. TCP Global created the order but never mixed or shipped until I followed up with them...Oops!
    By Sunday night, it was ready for Raptor liner....supper excited!
    Weather looked good for Monday and Tuesday, so the goal is to get it done before colder weather moves in.

thumbnail_IMG_6847.jpg

My Pops stopped by this morning and gave me a much needed hand
    We built a quick "spray booth" in the garage to keep overstay down. I put up the blue tent outside for the small parts.
    thumbnail_IMG_6848.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6849.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6851.jpg

With everything ready, I mixed the the Raptor Liner and before I knew it my Pops was suited and ready to start spraying it...Lots of fun!
    His eyes are definitely not what they used to be :) but neither are mine :) ...With the first coat there were quite a few spots he missed....good thing bright lights always help.

thumbnail_IMG_6852.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6853.jpg

Hard to see because of the blue tent but I had the Raptor liner tinted to 1937 Ford Washington Blue, IM1550.
    I liked the 1937 version better than the 1930's. The later one is darker and a deeper blue.

thumbnail_IMG_6854.jpg
    ...Can't wait to take all the masking paper off and see the dry finish product....

7. Finally had sometime to work on the roadster.
    Working on the middle brackets. Once I get them fully welded, I will start taking the frame fully apart to start working on priming and painting it.

thumbnail_IMG_6869.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6864.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6865.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6866.jpg

Cut outs on the side to allow the fuel/brake lines and electrical to run without rerouting
    thumbnail_IMG_6867.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6868.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  8. Travis latour

Travis latour
    from Putnam CT

great work as always!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Like many others, I am happy to leave 2020 behind me. Happy New Year everyone!
    2020, definitely allowed me the opportunity to work more hours on the roadster...Twice as many hours that I put in 2019!

All in all, in 2020...I added another 330 hrs of work, now for a total of 636 hrs, since the start of this project
    I spent a lot of time on metal work, figuring out fuel/brake lines, steering, chopping the top, electrical harness and a hint of color on the body, with the liner underneath the body....What a ride this has been!

A huge Thank you to all of you that has helped me along the way. I am humbled by all the knowledge that I have acquired and all the info that you have taken the time to share with me. The kind words, the kudos, and the new found friendships. Thank you!

So where do I stand? Well, so far,

In parts, selling, trading, buying those parts; I have spent $22,469.64
    636 total labor hours of work, since I started in late 2017. Using previous $50/hr average, that is, $31,800 in labor...So glad labor is free
    Materials/consumables such as primer, body filler, metal, $868.80

Adding everything up...$55,138.44. Without adding a dollar amount to labor, I am at $23,338.44

thumbnail_IMG_6877.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6878.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6882.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6883.jpg

The underbody liner is now fully cured, the body is sitting secured on the dolly and I am moving forward with finishing the frame.
    I am mentally preparing myself to get the frame to a fully painted rolling stage, drivable, and fully finished by the end of this year.
    The things that now look pretty such as brake/fuel lines, should all be working, and working well, by the end of 2021. I want to test drive the frame, minus the body, around my neighborhood. That is the goal!
    In 2022, the goal will be to finish the body, reunite it with he finished frame, upholstery and bright work and put an end to this project...we shall see...maybe I can make this a 5 year project.

The cost of it is adding up and yes, very few times, I think it would have been cheaper to buy one already completed, but I would have missed all the fun that I am having, the things that I am learning, the time I've spent with the family talking about the project, and the friends that I am making along the way. Totally worth it, if you ask me.

thumbnail_IMG_6875.jpg

11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Plus, you'll have saved yourself the grief of having to redo the inevitable shoddy work or worn components you would have inherited if you bought someone else's ride!

12. roen132

roen132

Great job!!lots of detail!

loudbang likes this.
  13. For sure! Knowing me I would end up changing 70% of the car just to make feel mine.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. Thank you Roenl32!

loudbang likes this.
  15. I appreciate the recap on the time & expense. It is always amazing how much it actually costs to do things. I am really impressed with the continued attention to detail. And I have really enjoyed following your build. Looking forward to 2021!

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. Thank you Bread! Thanks for watching.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Started the year by rearranging the garage to make room to work on the frame, not before replacing the caster wheels for the frame's dollies...HF casters were shot :)

thumbnail_IMG_6884.jpg

Got me some 4" metals caster wheels from Amazon rated @ 400lbs ea. Not bad, 8 caster wheels for $40.
    I can now move the frame around with no effort at all. Hopefully the chinasiumn casters hold up better.

thumbnail_IMG_6887.jpg

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have my coupe set up to roll around the same way, I have better quality rubber wheels then those you had but still rolls hard. I should change mine out too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. jess.w

jess.w

Whoa! Looks great

loudbang likes this.
  20. I am using these 5x2 for the dolly holding up the body and my workbench too. These were $40-$50/set in ebay. They are super smooth and very easy to move around.
    They have grease fittings.
    wheel 1.jpg
    These are 4" and bought 8 of these for $40 in Amazon.
    They work just as smooth as the 5" and makes moving the frame very easy.
    I was using 3" casters before and the added height gives nice clearance from the floor to the bottom of the frame to do work from the bottom.
    There is no grease fitting on these.
    wheel 2.jpg

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  21. Thanks Jess!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The larger the casters the easier they will roll.

loudbang likes this.
  23. That makes sense now. Big difference from the 3" HF casters.

loudbang likes this.
  24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looks like you rolled a pair of sixes on this one...
    buddy sold resturant equipment... snagged me 4 of the wheels under the pizza ovens...
    but he retired...

loudbang likes this.
  25. At first I was thinking something similar...Take the ones from bakery prep table but everything I was finding for sale was very expensive.
    I found an old stretcher in CL with super large casters but only 3 wheels :-(

loudbang likes this.
  26. Not my most favorite look but I need to have a front plate in CA.
    1930 YOM plates are BIG bu cool looking.
    Finally gave in and I will be using a '32 front license plate bracket.
    thumbnail_IMG_6889.jpg

I was hoping to use a siren underneath the body but it turned out to be too big for the area.
    I want to install it where the floor angles behind the seat, under the body, kind of tucked inside from underneath.
    thumbnail_IMG_6892.jpg
    I found this Sparton horn...thing is loud. Not siren cool but loud and it fits the look I am after.
    horn.jpg

Unfortunately, it is still too big for the room I have. It sticks out below the body line.
    Took it apart to clean it, rewire it and make sure it is working fine and the solution presented itself.
    thumbnail_IMG_6890.jpg

If I cut a 4" hole then I can install the rear half (dome part) inside the car behind the seat and the trumpet half outside the car pointing downwards. It just might work
    It will be tuck inside the body line....
    thumbnail_IMG_6891.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  27. 33Doll

33Doll

Screw the front plate!
    I have never ran a front plate here in Cali! Got one fixit ticket years ago... left the DMV, then turned around and took the plate right back off!
    And that was on my late model car lowered Honda which they picked on all the time, side window tint, to low, to loud etc.
    They won’t ever mess with you being a hot rod! (That was the 50’s)They will just pull you over to see what’s under the hood nowadays! Unless your a young punk with a
    camber-ly-challenged lowered-tin-can-exhaust-rice rocket!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  28. I am with you....I hate those front plates.
    You are one lucky guy! Here in LA I don't have such luck or maybe I am just a magnet for tickets :)
    The '32 bracket gives me the option of removing it all together and keep it nearby with only a small hole on the spread bar

loudbang likes this.
  29. I think she is a keeper!
    I cut the hole on the floor and it fits as good as I was hoping for.

thumbnail_IMG_6893.jpg
    I plan to make and add a cork gasket to keep any moisture out.

thumbnail_IMG_6894.jpg
    It sits above the body line as I was hoping for. Once I fully polish it it will be right at home.

thumbnail_IMG_6896.jpg
    Just the bell top sticking inside the cab but behind the back rest...so out of sight, out of mind.
    I can mark this one DONE!

30. Creative solution! Well done.