Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel cylinder verses caliper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Jan 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

My first try at replacing a wheel cylinder.. my question is do I collapse the pistons back into the new cylinder like I would do on a caliper before putting it all back together ?? Thanks
    Dan

2. BJR

BJR

Yes after you put the shoes on, push the shoes together which pushes the pistons in.

3. garyf

garyf

No ,not nessary

4. adam401

adam401

The cylinder will be all the way depressed or close to it new in the box. Its under no pressure at this point. Install the cylinder. Put the shoes in the slots on the pistons and hook the springs up. Put the drums on then bleed it. If they arent self energizing brakes then you'll need to adjust your shoes

Dont pump and bleed the brakes with the drum off

5. brading

brading

Some cylinders have an internal spring in them. If they do I put a bit of wire around the cylinder to hold the pistons till the brakes are fully assembled. Otherwise just push the pistons in. If the brakes are not self adjusting I always adjust them to lock the brakes up before I bleed them, then adjust them up after bleeding.

6. Just smush 'em together enough to get the brakes together.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  7. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Thank you all !! You a have also answered the next 2 questions did not even knew to ask .

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Saves time to loosen the bleeder before install. I fill them, hold them in place, start the line, then start the bolts, then tighten everything. Lots less bleeding ...

9. dwollam

dwollam

And...Clean the inside of the new cylinder to make sure no crap is in there and that they actually put the cups in the right direction!

Dave

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not a bad idea.

NOTE!!! you have to adjust the shoes on any drum brakes you install self adjusting or not. That part doesn't make any difference. You would have to back up 20 miles stopping every ten feet to self adjust a set that you didn't adjust first.

Remember that the shoe with the least lining surface goes to the front, the one with the most lining surface goes to the back. There are a few cheap off brand relined shoes that have different color lining front and rear because the friction coefficient is deliberately different. I haven't seen any of those since I was doing brakes every day in 'Texas years ago though.

If you haven't taken the brake apart yet take photos of the brake assembly on each wheel for reference. Beats the tar out of starting a Hamb thread with does this spring go here or does it go there.

11. studebaker46

studebaker46

to add to Mr48chev's advise do one wheel at a time, then reference for installation. I am an old man(73) but my memory is still good when doing drum brakes, always rebuild or replace wheel cyls, and always replace spring hardware. when completed properly the springs will pull the shoes back against the anchors hope this helps Tom