Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Y block trans adapters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jan 2, 2021.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Who all makes adapters to put a newer trans behind a Y block.

2. Flat-O-Matics in Portland,OR

32Dan likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bendtsen makes one to put a GM 200r behind them...along with other GM transmissions

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hemihotrod66 likes this.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What sort of trans are you thinking?
    We put a Y block to flathead adapter on our Y block ,then Flathead to T5 behind that.
    In another of our cars with a Y block we used a wilcap adapter to 700R4.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford T - behind early (4 bolt) Ford pattern. Ford Narrow pattern and Y-block to Ford Front Shift T-5 Adapter plate - Modern Driveline

This one adapts a GM manual trans to the Y block Offenhauser 5173 GM Manual Trans to Ford Bellhousing Adapter (speedwaymotors.com)

The photo and explanation on the adapter to hook the "wide" pattern Ford to the earlier "narrow" pattern bellhousing is a ways down the page. Fun reading for a Y block guy anyhow and I read it in HRM when it came out back years ago. Scroll down the page a ways. Vintage Engines: FoMoCo Y-Blocks- A Close Look (hotrod.com)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  7. glrbird

glrbird

FMX auto trans will bolt up to ford-o- matic bell housing Two holes line up, drill the other two. Strong trans

jimmy six and anthony myrick like this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have everything to put a 62 COM with a late 60s FMX valve body behind it but I have a C-4 that is much lighter that I was thinking about going with if I can not find anyone around here that knows how to go through that COM.

jimmy six likes this.
  9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

20 years ago I put an FMX behind my Yblock. It was not the slam dunk it was supposed to be. I had to have a torque convertor modified so it would fit correctly with the crank/flex plate. I would recommend getting the C4 adapter if you want an automatic. That way you get a lighter, more modern trans and can use the common SBF starter.

jimmy six likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

What I have for the COM it should bolt it with no modifications,62 trans,flywheel and torque converter but will be looking around soon to see if there is anyone old enough to know how to rebuild them.

11. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

Like 53Olds said, Flat-O-Products makes one that is very nice, cast aluminum. Comes complete with everything you will need to run a C4. Will need to get an FE starter, change the start gear on the nose. Will also need to be mindful of the torque converter bolt pattern, which will be a common one. I used it on my Y Block/C4 drivetrain, no complaints!

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I need to call them to see what C-4 to use,I have a pan filled and need to be sure its not for a case filled.

13. jaracer

jaracer

Anyone with a knowledge of automatic transmissions and a service manual should be able to go through a Cruise-O-Matic. It's not hard. The only big difference is that everything come out the back instead the front. However, I'm not sure about the FMX valve body on a COM. It may work, but I haven't heard of it being done.

14. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

about 8-9 years ago i put a 700r in a 55-6 tbird for a fella worked out pretty good i think brendensen( looks like the company usesd is now called speed gems) ? made the kit was very well thought out and complete ..used a trans mount locar shifter came close to the stock spot ..
    >>>>> TEXAS INDUSTRIAL ELECTRIC is HIGHLY RECOMENDED for CUSTOM SPEEDO CABLES ,, they will make anything for anything and know their stuff great service and quality stuff <<< Fabricator john
    miss you dad

15. Jhook

Jhook

16. Jhook

Jhook

Just installed a 700R4 in my 1956 Ford 292, used this Wilcap adapter and everything fit perfect and I love the overdrive.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the C4 adapter is a the bellhousing too and not just a plate.

18. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I have the Flat-O Products kit for mating a C4 transmission to my Y-block. The kit calls for a case-fill C4, not pan-fill. The pan-fill was used in trucks. It has a larger bell housing that does not bolt to the front pump, like the case-fill C4. You can also use a case-fill C5, but you will need a C4 valve body and torque converter, as the C5 uses a lockup converter/w a larger, deeper bell housing. you will also need an FE starter, not an SBF. Most f this information can be found on Flat-O Products' website.

By the way, Gene does not like email. if you have a specific question, you need to call him.

19. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Gene prefers the later C4 transmissions, not the early Select-o-matics. The later transmissions also have a 26-spline input shaft. I'm using A Hughes 41-20 torque converter. Unlike the OEM C4 torque converter, there is no need to have the studs tig welded, as per Gene's installation instructions.

20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Early C4s use an 8-bolt valve body. Later C4s use a 9-bolt valve body. A 9-bolt valve body can be used on an 8-bolt transmission by putting a nut & bolt in the extra hole. However, the earlier 8-bolt valve body cannot be used on a later 9-bolt transmission.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a C4 adapted to my Y block with a Flat O kit.
    Their bell housing is really good as is the rest of the kit.
    Don’t bother with trying to adapt a starter as is mentioned in the kit which includes a bendix drive to a Ford starter from a different Ford engine .

Gene can also sell you a compact high torque starter that bolts right on and has a built in solenoid which makes wiring easy.
    A great kit.
    And yes a case filled C4 is what you need.

Gene does prefer to be contacted by phone.