Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8.2 or 8.2??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 2, 2021.

?
  1. Early

60.0%
  2. Late

40.0%
  1. Let's say that you have a 57 Chevy, with the stock open rear end, and 4:10 gears. Not a drag car. Making around 300 hp. Automatic transmission. Now you have access to a later muscle car 8.2 that's the same width, open differential with 3:08 gears. Would you change it?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Today I would do 3:08's because I drive long distances now.

3. 67-69 Camaros had an 8.2 ten bolt that is probably the width you are looking for. They worked fine for years behind small blocks and automatics and probably some sticks. Only the performance Camaros came with 12 bolts. That being said ... make SURE it has 3.08 gears in it (if that is the ratio you want) ... some came with 2.7 something and some came with 2.5 something ratios. Don't assume or take anyone's word for it ... check the ratio before you drop the cash.

EVERY 67-69 Camaro ten-bolt I have bought was sold to me as having 3.08 gears ... very few of the ones I bought actually had that ratio in them.

bchctybob, getow, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

How much time will you spend on the highway, 4.11 get old fast going down the Intersatate.

Deuces and Just Gary like this.

5. I spend a lot of time on the interstate. Yeah the 4:10 SUCKS on the big road. I'm more concerned about reliability, not trashing my rear end because i decided to hammer on it lol

6. Neither. I think I would hold out for a 'posi' and my ratio choice would be dependant on the trans gearing.
    Maybe you are faced with a low-cost opportunity of the 3:08? Then, yea. With a V8, you can step away from a stoplight with little embarrassment with the 3:08, as long as you're not trying to spank anyone and everyone like some kind of gunfighter, and maybe enjoy a little more peace and quiet at highway speeds.

alanp561 and Deuces like this.
  7. Well I'm sure this is a 3:08. And it's out of a 70 Nova. My question is would i be making the car "better" or is it an even trade.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You do know there are 3:08's for your stock rear. Swap just 3rd member is a snap compared to a full swap from another donor.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. I want posi traction, but there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on the 57 axle.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As a driver I'd stay stock. I prefer axle bearings that press on vs the later style.

11. Oh yeah! But there's none around here. Plus I've read multiple posts on the hamb about the weak tendencies of the 57 axle. It's not all about the ratio, i want the best option. They're both 8.2" right? But those later cars had better hp and 4 speed transmissions. Does that mean the rear end was better?

12. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Why not just change gears to what you want instead of changing the whole rear? Not sure what is available for it, but 3.55 or close gears are the best of both worlds.

CN

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have a 8.5 10 bolt (newer 8.2 more or less) with 3.08s and about 300 horse motor.I can run 75 mph all day long and not being a drag car it gets off the line fine. I think the nova rear end would ezer to get parts for, to me it’s a up grade

alanp561 and Tickety Boo like this.
  14. I'm not as concerned about the ratio as i am what's been called a weak rear end by the majority.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Spider gears are spider gears. Yes the axle is a little stronger on the later unit's. I've beat the crap out of my 56 rear. Two set's of spiders because I abused the crap out of it but never broke an axle luckily.

16. So you'd leave the stock axle in it? This is out of my wheelhouse. That's why I'm asking. I drive my cars everywhere. And i don't wanna be 500 miles away when some weak part that i can only get from a restoration house decides it's done and strands me lol.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just because it's old (which today both versions are old) doesn't mean failure. The driver causes that, right? But since your ready to do a full swap I'm not the one to tell you keep that one or this one.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You don't hammer go jump in the lake when its below zero because you " want" to go swimming ...
    You don't hammer on your car when you're 500 miles from home...

Its called common sense , don't leave home without it ...

bchctybob, 48fordnut and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

If it was mine I’d look to trade the 4.11 center section for one with 3.08’s and also put new axle bearings in it while it was apart. No fabricating, no new drive shaft ( might need different length?) no brake lines to change, etc.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Needing a part?
    The last 2 SBC fuel pumps I bought had to be ordered.
    You break an axle or spider gear in the later style rear you mentioned the parts will have to be ordered.
    I had a bad axle in an 8.8 from a 2000 model. It had to be ordered.
    If you’re worried about braking a part, take spares, don’t show out or use a rear that will handle it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Third members up though 64 bolt in unless my ancient info is wrong. Other than that how hard do you plan to hammer on it? If you never broke what is in it you probably won't break it with a set of 3.08 gears in it.

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Are running the 4 speed you just got, in this car?
    You could put a bearing cap support cover on the later 8.2.
    Running a new style 8.2 with 3.73 gears in avatar 64 Chevelle with a Summit support cover for about 8 years now.
    A few trips to the strip (best 13.29) with 225-75-15 street tires. haven't broke it yet because small tires spin now.
    When rebuilding the rear end back then I painted a pin strip down the stock axle, might be time to pull em and see if they twisted :eek:
    Been looking at 8" pie crust slicks to run at the Melt Down Drags pie crust event.

VANDENPLAS and mad mikey like this.
  23. What? It's a hot rod lmao!

Sandgroper likes this.
  24. I appreciate opinions, and i have plenty of common sense, i have to have, because I'm a productive member of society. But yes i do drive 500 miles from home and do burnouts. Because I'm a hot rodder. A hoodlum, and not a street rodder that puts my shit on a trailer. Hence why I'm asking a question. So if stock is best, why are we here? Do we build cars to look at and never drive? If i can't build a car that I'm capable of driving far from home and burn the tires, then i shouldn't be here. But I appreciate your concern. Thanks for the info :D

25. Sandgroper likes this.
  26. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I am not too far away, near Kingsport in East Tennessee, I have a 3.36 and a 3.50 or 3.55, that I would consider trading for a 4.10. We put a 6 speed in my dads 55 and it needs a little more gear for highway cruising.

scotty t and Tickety Boo like this.
  27. I have been told that 55 & 56 are the same, but they changed in 57?

28. primed34

primed34

If you are still have the stock motor mounts and no traction bars, I'd be more worried about the distributor hitting the firewall on burn outs than breaking an axle. '55 to '57 rear ends ain't that weak. And yes I'd been know to show out a long ways from home with my '55 with a '57 rear end.

29. primed34

primed34

'55 thru '64 chunks interchange. '55 and '56 axles are different.

Moriarity likes this.
  30. No it's all been changed.