Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Happy Speedway Customer!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 29, 2020.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have bought lots of parts from all kinds of vendors where the shipping cost more than the part. I figure that into the total cost of the part and have been quite happy to have a needed part delivered right to my door..

mad mikey and Hnstray like this.
  2. HotRod33

HotRod33

I've bought a lot of parts from speedway over the past 25 years..... Always have gotten what I ordered... No complaints about quality..... As for as shipping cost .... It seems that I'm always spending over a 100 dollars so it . Free.....lol

mad mikey, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  3. I know it may be hard for some of you to comprehend but there are people outside the US and they do not get free shipping regardless of what they spend. Speedways primary international shipping is done through UPS which is the biggest ripoff for international customers that there is as far as shipping costs are concerned.

57 Fargo likes this.
  4. jaracer

jaracer

Started using Speedway for race car parts in the mid 70's. Back then shipping by bus was the fast way to get stuff. I've never had a problem with service or quality.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  5. 5window

5window

You seem to be having a lot of concerns about getting products and magazines from the US. I hope this improves for you in 2021. There have always been significant issues with international shipping, now made worse by Covid-19 and political wrangling. Some of the problem has to be with the country of receipt, not the country of origin. I'd expect similar problems importing something from Canada or Australia. But, I'm not sure what we can do to help and we don't have any control over how Speedway ships anything. They likely choose what is best for them, which is understandable. Speedway can't be expected to research what shipping is most convenient for every customer. Maybe you could request a different transportation company, but you'll still have border issues.

Speedway does seem to be upfront about shipping things to Canada and they do offer assistance with a telephone number:
    Canadian Order Information
    Shipping

Canadian consumers can see the total price online in US dollars, including shipping and handling charges before the order is billed. Any brokerage fees, duties or taxes will be charged separately and are the responsibility of the customer. Alternately, our Customer Order Team can be reached at 855-313-9180 to assist you in placing your order.

Orders shipped to Canada will be processed and shipped via a third party. Address shipped to must be deliverable by either Canada Post or UPS.

Shipping charges are applied at the point of sale and merchandise is shipped from the United States.

The majority of in-stock items will ship within 24 business hours (this excludes weekends and US holidays.) Expedited orders generally arrive 3-4 days after shipping. Standard freight orders generally arrive 10-12 days after shipping.

6. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, Speedway may duplicate what others market but they sell brand names too, for example Posies springs. They have something for just about any builder, do you want Wilwood brakes or do you want cast iron low budget stuff? They sell to a price point and what some want and can afford others can’t.
    How about pedals? R-Jays Speed Shop makes a nice set and being a small shop you can bet they are made in the USA. Speedway markets pedal kits (not a knock-off of R-Jays) that likely come from overseas, but do we really know for sure where all the major players have theirs made? Look around at some of the stuff sold by the name shops, I think it’s naive to believe nothing from them comes from out of the country. Yet continually Speedway gets the brunt of the ire.
    They have been around a long time, have a large, varied selection, prices to fit every budget and are noted for fast shipping and good customer service, so what’s not to like?

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

People love to bash Speedway, but I guess that's typical for people to bash any big company. I personally have had nothing but good dealings with them, even when it occasionally was a issue on my end. I've purchased parts I didn't even open for 6 months, and when I found a part or two missing, I called them and they sent me the missing parts without any charge, or questions.
    I also had them send me the wrong length springs for my coilover shocks, and when I called them they not only sent me new ones, but paid for returning the old. Now that's what you'd expect, but there was a hitch! I was told to just set them on the porch to return, and I waited until late afternoon when I know UPS usually delivers. 45 minutes later I get a knock on the door and UPS is asking for the package! I look down and it's gone, but he didn't get it.
    I immediately called Speedway and told them what happened, expecting to not get credit for the return. But the person at Speedway told me not to worry, as it happens all the time and they'd credit my card as if it got returned.
    Now that's service I've never gotten from ANY car parts company.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  8. All I can say is A++

V8Vic, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  9. Nothing to do with issues getting things other than companies that just don't ship stuff. It's the attitude that people here have that everyone deals with the same situations as those in the US do. A guy mentioned that Speedways shipping was expensive and bunch of people lit him up and questioned his comment saying shipping is free, shipping costs money etc. It isn't free for everyone and there are good and bad ways for companies to ship internationally. Speedways is not a company that does a good job of that for international customers. It has nothing to do with where the part is going but how the company shipping decides to do it. I have priced parts, exact same part, exact same price for the part, exact same final destination from two different companies. One company is twice as far from me as the other yet their shipping price is half as much. Who is that on? As an international customer the first thing you shop is the shipping costs as there are huge differences depending on what a company is willing to do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Have toured the Speedway facilities at least four times, twice with Speedy Bill before he passed away. Last time I was there, saw the R&D department as well as the CNC machines that are running constantly. More often than not, a small vendor will be unable to meet Speedway’s quantity demands and Speedway has a bunch of back orders and is forced into providing product. As an observer of this industry for 40 plus years, I’ve seen more than a few failures of small companies unable to meet the demands of the buying public.

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Speedway fan here!

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i could name one i WOULDN'T use, but it ain't speedway!

13. spanners

spanners

I purchased an alloy fuel tank for my avatar 3 years ago. Ordered on a Sunday night and it was at my doorstep 8 days later. Shipping was $27 Australian at the time. Can't complain about that service. Did I mention that was delivered to Australia?

14. 5window

5window

I have no problems with Speedways products and must confess that my wife won $100.00 Speedway gift cards two years in a row at the York NSRA show. And, I got very nice Fathers' Day presents.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I retired a couple year so don't work anymore, but I look at shipping like this. Let's say that what I need is available through my local NAPA, Autozone, whatever. The nearest stores to me are about 10 miles away, so by the time I drive to the store and back home takes me maybe 30 minutes at the most. If I consider what I made per hour when I was working, plus the cost to drive the pickup to the store, then most of the time the shipping for what I order online is damn close to what I'd spend (time plus driving) going to the local joint to pick the stuff up. Bigger heavier stuff costs more, little light stuff costs less, but overall I think in averages out.

Shipping is usually a bargain if you add in all the people and time it takes to get that alludium modulator or turbo encabulator module off the shelf onto the truck and ultimately to your doorstep

mad mikey, 5window, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can name one I wont ever use also! The worst customer service ever! Speedmaster. And their alter ego AT Racing World. Both in Rialto, Ca. in the same building. Ordered a finned aluminum air cleaner from them, and it came minus the carb base adapter. Contacted them and told them what was missing, and some jerk tells me to send him pictures. I asked how that would help, as they know what the part is, and pictures without the part wont show the missing part. But took them anyway, and sent them. Then I get a email back saying their tracking showed I got the package. So called them again to tell them I got it, but it's missing the carb adapter. Finally he says he'll forward my request to the warehouse.
    Three days later, still no tracking number, so I call again and they tell me it's sitting in the warehouse and waiting for USPS to pick it up. Four days later a box is delivered. It's another base plate, instead of the carb adapter I needed. I call them again, and now the guy is irritated at me. He tells me they sent what I asked for, and they're done with me.
    So I contact Paypal, as I used them to protect myself. They start a resolution, and request the seller to resolve the issue. But Speedmaster sends Paypal a copy of their tracking to show I got the part, and they close the resolution. I had to file an appeal, and Paypal told me to ship it all back to the seller, and when they got it I'd get my credit.
    A week later they finally gave me a refund. This whole process took over a month of screwing around to fix. Beware of these idiots, and their poor customer service!

17. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I ordered a part from Speedway late on a Saturday night and it was on my doorstep on Monday. I haven't had any problems at all with them.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like Speedway for the most part. The only caveat I would have is that if you're contemplating purchasing an expensive item, do your research. (Of course, this is true of any vendor.)

I think the "Bad Press" they get sometimes is due to the fact that they sometimes produce their own "knock-offs". What I have heard (and I think it was on here) that if they re-selling a part made by a small independent manufacturer and it looks like it is a good seller, they will tool up to produce that part themselves, leaving their existing vendor high and dry. No communications or notifications; just poof! they're gone. While that is probably a good way for them to beef up their bottom line, I'll leave it up you to decide if it's ethical.

19. I love Speedways website. What makes it great is the build list feature. It allows me to list all the things I need before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, flynbrian48 and 5window like this.
  20. 5window

5window

I have never understood why this would be a company policy,especially in times when a bad review can go quickly viral. The best practice is, if you're wrong, fix it. Sometimes even if you're not wrong. My dad always taught me that in business, you are only as good as the next customer to buy from you. Don't chase them away.

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three and a half decades ago, before I came to my senses, I was a "junior executive" in the Information Systems department at Macy*s. Not car related, but the policy was "the customer is ALWAYS right". How serious were they about it? This serious:

Macy*s would accept returns of items that were not purchased at their stores.

I never understood that, but I guess it worked for them. Doubt that they still do it today, I don't shop there for 35 year old reasons.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I do that and still miss stuff that I have to order the next time I make a shopping list and order. Then leave stuff off THAT list...

23. I forget certain items when I place an order sometimes , but hey, Speedway is always there for me. If I call, I get a person on the other end right away . If I have a question , the tech guys are on the line immediately and more than happy to help. A lot of the good people at Speedway are also hotrodders, and have and build their cars.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. Fordors

Fordors

I’ll share what I know of Speedway’s practice to acquire products that others manufacture. Back in the ‘80’s a local rodder (that I didn’t know) was a machinist at Nabisco Foods. The food industry uses a lot of stainless and with his working knowledge of the material he built tooling and began manufacturing a tube axle that resembled an early Ford axle, complete with what some term the “smile”.
    Production was low yet somehow Speedway heard about it and bought the rights and tooling to produce it. Honestly I don’t recall it ever really taking off, but Speedway did everything above board to acquire the design, there was nothing shoddy about what they did.

5window and denis4x4 like this.