Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 FORD COUPE VALUE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You got it cheap. Enjoy.

stanlow69 likes this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I'm curious as to how much of his 39 four door floor can be used on the 40 coupe? Anyone done this?
    Eddie

3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Not sure if I am gonna go that route, but from what I understand, the front pan is exactly the same, but the trunk pan is different

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my opinion, the fact that he already has that decent '39 sheds a whole different light on this.

slv63 and Fortunateson like this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy

There's no way I'd cut up that nice fordor to fix the coupe. Just buy a repro floor pan and any other lower patches you need. Save the nice sedan!

warbird1, 40FORDPU, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Is there any demand for the four door other than for parts? Same amount of time and effort goes in both cars but one is still a four door when you are done.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like a nice car. I'd drive it as is, or hot rod it a little. I wouldn't be ashamed one bit for driving that fordor. Course, I do have gray hair.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

stanlow69 likes this.
  9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It is just me but I prefer less than four doors if I am fixing one up. Nothing against those that have them. I also think the four doors are harder to sell for coupe prices. But just another opinion. :)

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think we all got sand bagged not knowing how good your "parts"car is! I would be tempted to save the sedan body as well. You could then sometime in the future swap back. Get really good at it and each time it would be faster... I have a soft spot for four doors as that's what most people bought. But you are miles ahead now and th price seems quite reasonable. I noticed there a lot more going positive with this than before...LOL. where is your new car located? Do you need to have it shipped (literally!)?

11. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Both my sedan and coupe are here with me in Alaska. I originally just bought the sedan a month or so ago just for the flathead drivetrain to go in another build, but I guess fate had other plans. I got a pretty sweet deal on the sedan, so I don't really mind using it for parts.

Kan Kustom and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. 97

What is it they say about buying old Fords?
    You can never pay too much for one...just sometimes you buy it too soon? Now you own it , congratulations, good buying IMHO. It will double in value long before your money would if you gave it to the bank to "invest wisely " for you.

13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Just curious, are you in Alaska and the 40, plus parts, in Texas?

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

See 2 posts above.

15. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I live in Alaska and both cars are here in alaska. I see you are from Seaford, Va....I am from that area, grew up in Mathews, VA until I was 6, then moved to poquoson and lived until I joined the Air force at 17

16. Welcome to the '40 coupe club. Since you already purchased the coupe, I won't comment on your buying price and how much you spent on the donor fordor but will throw some advice your way:

I hope you have the funds set aside to purchase all the '40-specific parts you need, as in trim, weatherstripping, hinges, dash knobs, latches/handles/springs/strikers, running board rubber, felt kits, etc. Many quality '40 parts once common have become extremely difficult to find and even more expensive. Case in point, I just purchased what might be the last readily available pair of (improved later-model) Drake coupe trunk support arms a few months ago. Out of stock from Drake, Carpenter, and eBay, and Vintique's have weak springs. I'm not saying they aren't out there through swap meets and smaller suppliers, but expect the price to go from Drake's $150 to $400 in the next couple years. It's gotten so bad that I have purchased two sets of parts that I expect will wear out in my lifetime since I plan on handing down this car. You having a donor fordor, in particular, will help with hard parts, but, as you know, there are coupe-specific parts you'll need and parts that need replacing.

Drake and Carpenter were discontinuing items left and right before the pandemic, and it'll only get worse. People have claimed since 2017 that Drake says he's working on securing new manufactures to produce the discontinued items again, but it's so far b.s. Manufacturers (foreign and domestic) have far more lucrative opportunities than casting '40 Ford dash knobs and hood ornaments, and I'm not sure how much more fight Drake has in him to keep the '40 market afloat with the vast majority of current car enthusiasts not wanting prewar cars. I'd put together a thorough parts list now and place your orders soon and start looking for the out-of-stock parts. Check Carpenter, Drake, Mac's, and eBay, but beware that Carpenter and Mac's carry a lot of Vintique crap. Some Vintique stuff is good, but a lot isn't.

I bought my '40 project off my father a couple years ago who couldn't build it due to age/health, and him once owning it and my memories helping him tinker on it is the only reason I went with one as rough as it was/is. If I wanted a '40 that wasn't tied to a family member, I'd gladly save up and spend $20K on a 90's restoration that's complete. It'd be cheaper in the end and allow me to spend my time on the restoration work versus spending hundreds of hours at swap meets and online trying to find a good set of damned headliner retainer strips (no joke, and thank you to the Canadian man who responded to my Craigslist wanted ad of all things). Some people love that kind of hunt for part after part and have the cash to spend, but I'd rather be wrenching than perusing antique stores.:D

Have fun with the project.

17. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I moved here in ' 94 after retiring from the Air Force. I was 27 when I joined. My last assignment was in England. When did you leave this area? Ron

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

thanks for all the information...honestly, I think I will fix the floors and build this car as a patina job, with a amateur interior job.

Jibs likes this.
  19. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I joined in 2000

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Honestly I bought/Traded my Avtar as a "turn key" almost 10 years ago. had to replace all 4 fenders ($3K) running boards $1K, Deck lid $1K, Doors, $500 all new patch panels for quarters, rear pan inner and outer $600 and just had the entire body dustless blasted $1.5K and then had to have a professional body shop do all the installation of the panels get the gaps right and now its ready for paint for nearly $10K so if you can do all the work it will still cost you plenty for parts etc, at least $20K that's not including wheels and tires and brakes rebuilding front end/rear end fuel system (lines and tank new bumpers, radiator plus wiring and interior PLUS glass/rubber gaskets and tons of misc. stuff/ you can find ,40's for under $15K running needing work but running with paint
    In fact I believe I saw a 40 coupe in Long Island Craig's list for that $15K Get the most complete running car with solid sheet metal and good frame and suspension pieces. Don't know your financial situation but if you get that car it could turn into a money pit and a long project that can get bogged down,
    Just my opinion but like stated above there are some good deals at there for 40 2 door sedans under 20K with good paint and drivable PM me & I can look up a few located in the Delaware NJ area, I think you may be in AK but not sure if east coast cars are feasible

21. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Thanks for the information. I am gonna use this chassis and drive train, which is running with all new brake lines, fuel lines, new fuel tank, new brakes, etc. The only major expense i will have is glass and interior as I am leaving the patina

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That would make a great patina taxi cab

23. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i paid 3k for my 41 chevy coupe .not as iconik as a 40 ford coupe . dont part the 39 ! sbc 350/350 . one stock one rod ! hemi ? oh this is 2021 ls1 /700 just dont tell the hamboners

Nos1partstore likes this.