Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest R.I.P. Eddie Martinez...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr57, Dec 28, 2020.

1. From Kustomrama on FB

We just received an email from Eddie Martinez's family informing us that the talented and legendary upholsterer passed away on December 24, 2020. Back in the 1950s and the 1960s, Martinez's business card could be found in the Rolodex of all of the greatest custom car builders. Barris Kustoms, Ed Roth, Dean Jeffries, Larry Watson, all drove spectacular builds that were topped off with one of Martinez's iconic interiors. Few kids back then had the money it took to have him upholster their cars, so they had to cross the border to Mexico to get cheap imitations. Earlier this year, while working on a story about Bill Whetstone's 1960 Ford Starliner, Bill told me that when he just got the car, before the Alexander Bros turned it into the Adonis, he drove it to California to have a custom interior done. "At that time, the guy that was probably the most famous of all was Eddie Martinez," Bill told me, remembering that Martinez was phenomenal with little one inch pleats. "If I could have afforded him, he would probably have done the interior. At that time, his interiors were probably 300 dollars, so I ended up going to Tijuana, Mexico." A Tijuana interior cost Bill about one-third of the price. Thanks for your dedication, Martinez. Our condolences go out to your family and friends. Be sure to check out our Eddie Martinez page on Kustomrama, and let us know if you have any good photos or stories of Martinez and his work to share. If you do, feel free to add them as a comment to this post. R.I.P Mr. Martinez: https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Eddie_Martinez

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOST ANGEL, Deuces, reagen and 9 others like this.
  2. Condolences to his family. A revered name through the growth of hot rodding, and its history. Read about his work for years. May he rest in peace.

Deuces, Lil32, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

R.I.P. Eddie was a very talented upholsterer and also a real nice guy, Back in 1998 When I was getting my Impala upholstered (here in Mn) I couldn't find a decent white pearl vinyl. I called Eddie and he took time out of his busy day to tell me about the "voyager pearl" that he used from A1 upholstery and fabrics.....

HEMI32, kidcampbell71, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R. I.P. Used to visit shop on park street,

Deuces and loudbang like this.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

One of my biggest regrets ... :(
    Somebody passed Eddie's phone number along to me at a car show (must have been back in the nineties), when I was getting close to finishing a build and in need of some guidance with the trim. I called and left a message for him, not even really expecting him to return my call. He called me back a few days later, and when I told him what I was working on, he lit up.
    We shot the shit for over an hour, and he was damn near begging to work on my project.
    I explained I was down in San Diego (he was up in LA) ... "I'll drive down with a trailer, and pick it up" he said.
    I told him; "I can't afford you" ... and he responded that he did a couple of these back in the day, and he just wanted to get his hands back on one again. He'd do it basically for cost of materials.
    I told him I wasn't quite ready. He said he'd wait.
    The conversation went back and forth like this for the remainder of the phone call.
    I ended up getting sidetracked with life, and we never did hook-up. Huge regrets ... :(
    RIP Eddie :oops:

kidcampbell71, Deuces, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. sad news.. Thoughts and Prayers to his family.. RIP

Deuces, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  7. Lil32

Lil32

Prayers to Family

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  8. 6_44.jpg DSCN5146.JPG
    One I always admired

kidcampbell71, Deuces, reagen and 2 others like this.
  9. partssaloon

partssaloon

Sorry to hear this, condolences to the Martinez family. He painted and upholstered my 48

571FE1EF-A013-4EFE-8668-7A6E0FFE4FA1_1_105_c.jpeg

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember all those "TJ" upholstery jobs back then?-----They used inferior threads & stuffed cow shit into the pleats to hurry & get your bucks!
    I know Eddie did some work for Dick Scritchfield back then.
    Condolences to Eddies family.

Deuces, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Always admired his work. What a loss. RIP

13. An artist with a sewing machine.
    He influenced an entire industry.

thanks

14. RIP, God bless!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Martinez family and friends in the passing of Eddie. A master of the craft by all accounts and many of you have the comfort of knowing and being reminded of his greatness...may he Rest in Peace...

Regards,
    Stogy

Deuces and Lil32 like this.
  16. Boy, 2020 just won't let up. So sorry to hear the news. Eddie had to be one of the best if not THE BEST upholsterer of all time.
    My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Vaya con Dios, Mr. Martinez..........E

Deuces likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad News. I've admired his work for as long as I can remember.

Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

:( So sad to hear this.

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A talented man!. RIP.

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P.

21. reagen

reagen

R I P

22. Deuces

Deuces

23. I remember reading about his upholstery work way back when I was a teenager. His work was always top-notch. It seems that we are losing our mentors, idols, or what ever you want to call them. We will miss them, and hopefully remember them with respect.

Lil32 likes this.
  24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn