Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Interesting Alternatives to the 32 Ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Thanks for the clarification.

31Dodger likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

'32 Chevy, pick your poison:D
    ggco478.jpg
    DSC02720-630x473.jpg

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

'33 Olds (never mind the frame :p )
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. I built a '29 Whippet 2 door sedan a number of years ago. Took me 4 1/2 years. Been driving it since 2006.
    It has a 350/350 and tons of mods. Original frame-boxed. lots of fun and lots of attention at car shows.

Nailhead A-V8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. farmer boy

farmer boy

How about this 33' Dodge coupe thats here in the UK..The mutts nuts me thinks! 33 Dodge coupe.jpg

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this on BarnFinds. There's a 32 Rockne roadster for sale in Tucson, AZ for sale for $5900. Not running but it looks to be all there except for the top.

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1933 Packard with Hemi power out of a Chrysler Imperial. I'd love to have this car but it's waaaaay out of my price range. The guy who owned it had just gotten it back from the upholstery shop the day I took this picture. Two weeks later, he died of a heart attack in his driveway and never got to drive it.

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. 33rod

33rod

9. cfmvw

cfmvw

10. Flamed48

Flamed48

11. Have to admit it, this Stude looks pretty nice.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely looking at alternatives in recent times.
    Almost all of them can be cool.
    Some, more than others.
    But there's definitely early non Ford tin available for not a lot of money.

Scratch built can be a very cool and traditional alternative.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

all the pre WW11 fat fendered do it for me ,cars or trucks!

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-26_4-39-13.png Not that a long standing Buick fanatic had his first car from Dodge, or was he a hot rod guy, but he saved up enough to buy a 1936 Dodge Sedan for his first car right after his college days.

Hello,

It seems like the 1932 Ford of any kind is what a lot of people aspire to owning one day. But, not all old cars and hot rods fall into that choice. For many years since we noticed cars in the family, our dad was a Buick fanatic. In 1946, he saved up enough money to buy a 1941 Buick Coupe for his young family. A 4 year old kid and a two year old toddler were small enough to fit in the back area of the coupe in a long drive from the Oregon border down to Long Beach.

Then as we got older and noticed the different Buicks in the street or driveways of our next level, real homes, it started a trend. One day my wife plucked out a photo from my dad’s files that we had never seen before. It was a photo that looked like in 1937 after he graduated from college. Somewhere, I remember my mom telling me it was from the time when he was a semi pro baseball player and recent grad.

Jnaki

When I showed the similarities of the cars to my wife and her newly found photo from 1947, we both thought of the “Twilight Zone” and its eerie music that was usually stuck in our head for months. Two people with dads that once had similar cars, getting together as 20 somethings? Obviously, it was a “6 Degrees of Separation” coming into play…
    The Twilight Zone

from another post:
    upload_2020-3-26_4-41-14.png In 1937, a 1936 Dodge sedan
    Hello,

In 1966, when I first saw my wife walking down the hallway at our local, Long Beach State College, I knew there was a connection. I did not know it then, but something just hit. Sure…life long friend, companion, forever boy/girlfriend, road trip sidekick, and just someone to sit around/hang out was pleasurable enough. But all of these years later scouring our old family photo albums to scan into our external solid state hard drives for safe keeping, something did pop up that no one would have seen back then.

My dad’s first real car after his college days was a 1936 Dodge Sedan. He used it to go all over So Cal on his baseball playing career, until he could figure out what, when, and where he was going to settle down. He never told us about his first car, the 36 Dodge. But, last year, up popped up a very old photo of him smiling and standing next to his first car. (9 Buick sedans since that first car)

My wife’s dad was a family guy with roots in Oklahoma. His family goes back many generations in that state. The relatives all lived (or live…only two left) in several cities, but all centered in the general OKC and Norman areas. We had old photos of a 47 Buick Convertible, a 55 Chevy sedan, a 1950 Chevy two door sedan and what looks like a 37 Chevy Coupe. But, uncovering a recent family photo album revealed a new car that was never seen until now.

We have family photos of other cars used during that early period in OKC and Norman, but until recently, no photos or mention of this 1936 Plymouth Sedan for the whole family. (at the time, my wife was the only child and two years old.)

upload_2020-3-26_4-42-13.png 1947, a 1936 Plymouth sedan and a cute toddler…

Jnaki

The interesting thing in one photo was a tall water tower in the background. So Cal does not have these in the areas that we grew up, but are prevalent all over the Midwest. It is also funny that there is no one left in the family, that knows anything about the 36 Plymouth Sedan and how it fit into the family experiences.
    upload_2020-3-26_4-43-3.png
    So, was it fate that brought us together? Or, an auto factory similarity of family sedans that started the whole “car” thing, and attracted us back then? Nah…she just was a great person that made getting to know each other, all the better, during our early get-togethers! (and these 50 plus years of adventures in hot rods and not.)

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It just plain works. Same reason Corvettes use them...they just plain work.

chryslerfan55, Baumi and nunattax like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The 32 ford prices went crazy in early 2000s so I thought the same thing when I found a 32 Chevy body in 2004 00298D31-EB5C-4A74-ABF9-8B822CC25459.jpeg

40FORDPU, Surfcityrocker and nunattax like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

wasn't that on a calendar very nice

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was struck with the Deuce affliction again in '09, I called Wescott since I had one in'80 that never got built. Dee wanted 9.5K for his 'glass roadster, the same one I had paid 2.5K in "80. I nearly dropped my tonsils when I was able to buy a Brookville for 10.1K. I would have happily paid up to 6K for a Wescott because they are great bodies. I now cruise the country in a steel body highboy which suits my wife and me just fine. The one Henry body I found in the San Antonio area was 19K for a twisted, rusted, tweaked, POS. The Brookville required 4 hours of actual body work on the starboard rear quarter to bring it in line with the door. Primer, sealer, and paint shortly followed.

Dan Hay and j3harleys like this.
  19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one cool T ! With slightly tinted glass and Vintage Air heat/cool, I would be headed for El Mirage in a heartbeat.

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31 B'ville likes this.
  21. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

22. socal34

socal34

23. hallrods

hallrods

24. A '33-'34 Ford makes a good alterative.

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some nice iron here!!

26. Henry Ford said we use transverse springs for the same reason we use round wheels - they work.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. A Boner

A Boner

28. 1932 Chrysler coupe. HRP

[​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 and cfmvw like this.
  29. cfmvw

cfmvw