Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CA Hot Rod Deuce Coupe **Found***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyCASHcadillac, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Where in the Los Angeles area did you find it? Looks like a rough part of town? Might be a hint as to where it spent some of it’s time while cruising around, and someone might remember seeing it.

Thor1, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

He said he bought it out of the Pacoima/Sepulveda area. Where he also lived.

I am certain the guy I bought it off of did not have it running long to be seen around that area.

The detail and amount energy/$ spent on this car back then should really point to a well known car...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tim, Thor1, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  3. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

I am thinking this car would have been in some publication.

Please someone help me find it!!!

Thor1, dana barlow, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Looks like the taillights were '38-'39 Ford 'teardrops', 'cambered-in' for that 'Sloe-eyed look'...

A friend in San Jose did that to the channeled '31 'A' roadster I found for him. I told him what that idea looked like...and it wasn't kind.
    Actually, it would make identification in pics more 'possible', not a lot of guys did that one.

studebaker46, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  5. drool.jpg drool.jpg drool.jpg Another one that's green with envy.
    Nice score! Good luck with the search and the build.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, Christmas has come early. An outstanding score!

7. Congratulations with this find. Bet there is a photo somewhere, maybe that it,s not even the main object in the photo but parked next to something else. At the drags or some other event.

bchctybob, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Banjo steering wheel looks very British. Maybe Austin Healey or Austin Atlantic. How about those swing pedals on the homemade wooden firewall , what could they be from ?
    CASH.JPG

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pedal set up, looks real similar to an Ansen. Really nice score on the whole pile! Good luck finding a history...I have been trying to find information or a historical picture on my 3W to no avail since 1968.... hope you have better results!

Thor1, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  10. Great story. I'm surprised somebody didn't beat you to it after you planted the seed of buying it. :)

11. Cool......you must have been a really good boy this year !

12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

your work is cut out . your mission should you accept it milner paradise.png

13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

while looking for this picture . found that it was voted #1 hotrod of all time .sure a classic/hamb friendly look !!

14. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

IMG_5577.JPG

This is my all time favorite and with the floors already cut out it’s asking for a channel.
    I really like the 60’s Drag/Show look...

I would be partial to putting it back in its original configuration if I can find any documentation....

PONTNAK123, Jibs, Jimmy B and 11 others like this.
  15. Truth be told, I have never wanked to the Graffiti coupe like most seem to.

They unchanneled the car, for the movie, & left bobbed fenders & grille in channeled positions. The radiator support rods sloping downhill is just a big "NOPE" for me.

The decisions of Hollywood. Whoop dee doo.

I'll take your interpretation of "cool" over yet another "piss yellow" clone of a hastily done movie car.

Hope you find your '32's history, or make your own history .. .. when able. Great freggin' find.

97, Nicholas Coe, redzula and 9 others like this.
  16. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

there all cool . things where different in the 70s . i was there!!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Good find,

Now I'd really like to hear what the sellers memory was of the acid trip;)

SS327, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Shazam! That's a great start! Go nuts and make it yours.

Nicholas Coe, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

That's not true. The Graffiti coupe was never channeled. There are "before" pics in an old Street Rodder Magazine showing the full fendered hot rod they started with.

Anyways, if I found the coupe like the OP did I'd for sure try to do some research as to its heritage. But unless he can absolutely verify a particular car, he should feel free to do anything he wants. And even if he can find a history he still shouldn't be scared to built it "his way".

20. Apologies for thread derail, OP. I love your '32.

@alchemy You likely have more magazines than I. Nov 1976 SR shows Jeff Beck's Graffiti clone starting with fenders. I've never seen an actual photo of the "before AG" coupe.

If anyone has reference, PM me the photo, please. Or post to the AG thread, already on the forum.

All references, I've deep dived on AG '32, was HAMB oriented, here. If I missed notes on a car, I'm "meh'" about, I'll blame it on CRS.

Anyhow .. back to OP's awesome thread. No further off topic interruption from me.

21. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

51box, chryslerfan55, Tim and 7 others like this.
  22. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

IMG_6035.JPG

Does anyone know anything more on the George Barris Fish coupe??

Anymore pictures of it??

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe try Rik Hoving or the the Kustomrama website?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. Burbank Choppers "Fish" as in Fisher coupe ? Valley Customs chop, HAMB banner at times. It exists.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Brown Inspiration of Cash's a page ago is similar but not the Fish Coupe, correct?...the Fish coupe shared was in a Satin finish...

Stogy's mixed up...nothing new...:)...can't wait to see this one show up in black and white...

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations on your find and how you handled the purchase! I'll start going through old Hot Rod issues, when was it originally built so I can skip earlier years. Old Hot Rods need their history tracked and documented just like vintage race cars. Strip that yellow paint with a razor, start looking for any lettering if you think it may have raced somewhere. Start a HAMB build thread, or keep adding info here.
    Sure glad something good turned up in 2020. Bob

29. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

Not sure when originally built but was repurchased in 64’ and started to be torn apart around 67-70....

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  30. Looks to me that any history the coupe may have had is long gone; just build it into a hot rod reminiscent of either the flathead era it was born in or the overhead era it last lived in.