Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Once you retire how much time do you spend in the shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Dec 20, 2020.

1. spanners

spanners

Over here a 'big jigger ' is usually any type of semi. I think the saying started in the early days of trucking because Australian roads were notoriously shithouse to drive a truck on, and still are, so everything including the driver tend to 'jiggle about'.

2. EL MOE

EL MOE

i'll let you know in 2 days

3. Budget36

Budget36

I’d wager it depends on what age you retire at, and the kinda of shape you are in. I can out work guys 30 years younger than me (I’m 59) but also know guys in there 70s that can out work me.

clem likes this.
  4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

After 31 years in the Army and much time in civil service I now on the down slope of working contracts for Walter Reed as a GOV contractor. 6 months to go, June when it starts getting warm here in VA. I am thinking about riding my bike to the pool every morning, swim a few laps, riding back and hitting the garage, with the last thing to do would be a hour of kayaking. Well that is what I want to do let see how far I get.

dan31 likes this.
  5. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

December 2021 is it for me, cant wait.

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Every day I get up around 0730, and say to myself I'm going to get an early start and be out by 0830. Before I know it I've wasted 2 1/2 hours here, and it's 1000 by the time I finish my coffee and get out. I'm in the shop until dark, which is right after lunch here in Michigan... But seriously folks, I'm done by 4:30 or 5, and it's getting dark.

Tickety Boo and charleyw like this.
  7. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Retired 2002, spend Monday thro Friday 9 to 4, weekends with the wife, but the 9 to 4 is very flexible. Been doing a Rod a year. But starting to slow down more now that I'm 70. Love it.

Lil32 likes this.
  8. ihaterust

ihaterust
    from minnesota

Been retired for a year and a half. I normally start about 9 work until 12, have a lunch, and then work until 5 or 6 I do this 6 days a week in the winter months. In the summer I tone it down to about 3 days a week.

Lil32 and willysguy like this.
  9. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been retired 4 years. Liked my job, liked the people I worked with. Retirement is still better than working. Part of that depends on how much you define your self worth with your job title.

Now to your question... I can easily go into the shop at 8 am, break for lunch, then stay in there till 4 or 5. It depends on how much I need to get done - now that my project is drivable I spend a little less time in there.

I try to balance shop time with spending time with my wife - happy wife happy life.

It’s all good. And,..... way busier than when I was working, but now it’s all MY time.

john

hd1084 and Lil32 like this.
  10. Well been retired since May 2000, got new house and garage of my dreams, built 4 rods over the years worked on each of em 8-10 hrs a day till they were finished. Don't do any of that anymore, really slowed down over the past few years. Now I just try to pass it on to the younger generation (Flatheads that is).
    Will help anyone that's willing to help themselves now.... Course now I get up at 10 so that really cuts down on working time, unless its close to racing season, then its balls to the wall................

dirty old man likes this.
  11. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Retired 2 years ago this January. Try to get into the shop everyday, really need to organize it because of over 30 years of “Good Deal-Itis” as my wife calls it! Was a Snap-On Dealer for so many years I do have a bunch of stuff that does need sorted thru, and many projects that I need to prioritize. Probably my biggest challenge is deciding what I do have the time and energy for, and what I need to pass on to the next guy. Just so many sunrises and sunsets till the big nap....

Algoma56 and dirty old man like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been officially retired for 7 years as of 3 days ago. I’m stuck with the attached 2 car garage and an 11 foot wide covered space beside it. My son built a 2 car behind his 2 car about 3 miles from us and between the two places I’d guess 4 hrs a day depending on what need working on...
    I will say the first thing you should do is clean out and organize. I bought 16’ of cabinets with white doors and threw out a lot. White reflects light and I guarantee it helps. After 3 engines, 2 cars I’m throwing out more. I can’t believe I kept so much.
    I also have a 36” tv with cable.... got to watch my westerns in the afternoon. Good luck.

Lil32, dirty old man and Algoma56 like this.
  13. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Couldn’t agree more, must be why we both are “Jimmy’s”!

jimmy six likes this.
  14. 3 hrs a day 3 days a week and you'll get a lot done on your cars.

Lil32 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I spend more time with my wife now that we both retired.. Now I remember why I married her. We are acting like we did when we were two teenager's..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Paul, TrailerTrashToo and chop job like this.
  16. It has been 2 years into retirement and it seems to pick up speed ....the months just keep coming and going. I retired after 46 years with the USPS as their in house bodyman , letter carrier, driving instructor, and class A driver. So glad to have left........my plan was/is to get serious with my car hobby . However retirement has become the do it yourself home improvement guy. Remodeling practically every square inch of our house and helping the kids with theirs . My day starts early with coffee and Hamb and Tri Five browsing and then get busy . Im hoping to get in the garage more this winter and emerge with my 62 409 Impala for a spring cruiser. I'm truly grateful to just get another day to accomplish what I can and I thank the Big Man daily .

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And that's a fact. If the wife could ever make up her mind about exactly what she wants changed in the kitchen, the flooring in the house, and just exactly what color does she want the walls painted, there'd be no problem. I've gotten to the point that I refuse to do anything connected to the house until she can point out exactly what she wants and I refuse to let her bring in a contractor who gets paid by the hour waiting for her to make up her mind.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well didn’t retire until I was 72 and I’m 74 now. Thought I would spend a lot more time in the shop then I actually am. We have a motorhome and in the last couple years have been out in it 120 plus days. Spending more time with kids and grandkids of course not this (Covid lock down) year. Have worked on other projects, ours and the kids. Some days wake up with great intentions but get side tracked. Probably only working on car projects a few more hours a week then when working. However with the new year, cooler weather plan to do more with cars.

COCONUTS and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

been retired 9 yrs, wife passed on 7 yrs ago. my garage has heat/ac, a fridge . cable tv and a nice chair. I spend about 2 hrs a day in the garage, don't get much done but watch a lot of Law & Order. am putting rear disc brakes on the 40

X-cpe, alanp561, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  20. Butch M

Butch M

I have been retired 1 year UPS and out there 8 to 10 hours a day love it

21. I retired at 56 from aerospace, a couple of years at Georgia Tech, 5 years at a custom car body shop, 10 years playing music in night clubs, fixed up my own cars. Get busy retiring and starting on new adventures. Honey Do's simple, do a bad job, put the handy mans phone no in or by the phone.

22. 6 years ago, I sortof had a forced retirement , had big plans for years ,of building lots of cars after I retired but the cards weren't in my favor. Because of my "situation", I've somewhat lost the drive to persue any more builds. I sold my 36 Ford because I had a 25 Dodge that my son and I had plans for but life F'd that up. Deep down I feel I have one great one in me but I feel it will never materialize. I do go out to my shop everyday and try to do something on my 36 Chevy, or work on something else that needs fixing, just to stay busy. I'm nothing but envious of all of you that are building still. Maybe there is still hope,,,, Mitch.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Budget36 likes this.
  23. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm 68, retired, and my hat is off to all of you who spend as much time as you do in the shop. In retirement I've found that Reality #1 for me is that I don't get as much done as I thought I might. First, I fiddle around too much in the morning, spend W-A-Y too much time on the HAMB and other internet haunts, and am also involved with other activities and volunteer stuff.

I do probably still spend 20-ish hours a week in the shop but too much of that time is spent looking for something I've misplaced (where in the world IS the 9/16" wrench??) or trying not to trip over the mess I created in previous days.

After retiring I thought I'd do some serious motorcycle touring but somehow there's always something that I do in place of just leaving for a few days.:(

Lynn

24. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 67 and have been fully retired for 3 years. Most of my winter days are similar. I get up 8:00 ish, spend the morning hanging with the wife, and/or doing official house chores/ hunny do's ect. After lunch I'll spend 2 to 4 hours in the shop. The only times I put full days in the shop is when I'm home alone. Summers a lot of time is spent at the cottage so shop time is quite limited. We are both retired so this is pretty flexible.

Phil

willysguy likes this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

6 years fully retired now. I have a buddy that comes over 7 days a week to work on our projects. We start at 1:30 and work together until 6. Then I usually work another hour on my own if can get away with. Helps to have a wife that understands my need to work with my hands . Just can't sit around doing nothing yet. I know that day will come, but will dodge it as long as possible.

willysguy, joel and Budget36 like this.
  26. banjorear

banjorear

Haha. I’m like you and got it down to the day. December 31, 2025. Done.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  27. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

my wife said to much then she changed her mind and sent me back out here life is good

Budget36 likes this.
  28. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've been retired 10 years and done three cars and shot the paint on my sons car, probably at least 20 hours a week. Just about finished with my coupe, waiting for top and upholstery and getting bored. Might have to find another project but no more frame up cars.

29. birdman1

birdman1

only 2 to 3 hours most every day. any more and these 75 year-old bones keep me awake at nite.

30. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I spend alot of time in my shop because thats where my BEER refer is.

Budget36 and lonejacklarry like this.