Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Christmas tree thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Dec 12, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-23_5-1-15.png
    Hello,

Since it is pouring rain here in So Cal, what a better way to enjoy the "pitter patter" of raindrops on our roof, than to sit around and play. We might get a rainy Christmas Day if the storm lingers. It is not cold enough for snow, though, not like in 1949. This storm is predicted to drop snow down to the 4000 ft. level.

A new addition was added this year to the drawer full of 1/64 projects in the garage. When it is time, (never is) those little cars have a list of things to get done. But, for some reason or other, they stay in their ½ finished state, waiting patiently. This couple has been taking center stage ever since the idea of trailer camping was brought into the lime light.

This set up was given to my wife since she mentioned getting one or the other for our road trips, in an old hot rod/cruiser. We also sat in a small Airstream Trailer and it fit us to a “T”. Now in this season, Christmas Tree hunting in the mountains comes with a road trip in mind. The amount of hot rods and trucks going on the tree hunting excursion was limited this year. Some were able to make it and others went to their local tree lots.
    upload_2019-12-23_5-1-56.png 14th Annual "Gathering of The Tribes"...1/64 version...welcome home.

The long haul to the mountains had an advantage as the campgrounds were relatively empty this time of the year. Then, with the permits issued, a certain size tree was cut down and brought back to the “Gathering of The Tribes” for the 14th straight year. This year, the new addition of the 55 Chevy two door wagon and Airstream trailer fit right in to the welcoming scene at the gathering.

Jnaki

There is a sneaky participant in the line up of the welcoming committee. Yes, all of the other cars and trucks were able to make it to the deep, wooded, mountain areas, for some legal, cutting of trees. One person just made the cruise to the nearest, So Cal Christmas Tree “cutting farm” to cut down her own tree that fit right into her car…a Blue Thunderbird of course.

“Deck the Halls with newly cut trees…”

GRANDDAUGHTER TREE... With the latest 2019 mini ornament commemorating her achievement for the year in ballet performances. The Sugar Plum Fairy !!! We were proud grandparents…

upload_2019-12-23_5-2-31.png

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Merry Christmas and a healthy,happy,safe and prosperous New Year to all.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Might be a weee bit early but considering the year we have had..lets get them started!!!

Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  4. Too early for me. HRP

Blues4U likes this.
  5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanksgiving is over, you're cleared hot.

Deuces, 427 sleeper and lippy like this.
  6. that is how I feel also. before thanksgiving I don't want to even hear the word Christmas. after, it is all Christmas....until New Years then I don't want to think about it again.

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. Personally I would be happy if tomorrow it was 2021. HRP

Blues4U, ct1932ford and Lil32 like this.
  8. High test 63

High test 63

5015.jpeg posted this one before, from last year.
    Was gonna put the old wires back on and take it to get the tree again but the weather was too crappy and didn't want to take her out. (The truck). Mother in law was ready for her tree though and had to go in the OT driver.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

High Test. what a great picture. Lippy

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This year I'm gonna go all out. I'm tired of missing my old time Christmas's. Lippy

charleyw, Deuces and High test 63 like this.
  11. High test 63

High test 63

Thank you Lippy.
    Makes me happy to see it again.

Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  12. Lil32

Lil32

our Xmas Street is up

IMG_1479.JPG

13. Lil32

Lil32

our tree went up today

IMG_1488.JPG

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

And it snowed here in Bama yesterday!!!!

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

cheeze any pics???

Deuces likes this.
  16. b-bop

b-bop

No lights on the tree yet...... snowa2.jpg

17. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

Here's my yard art. It looked better covered in snow last week. 20201204_173144.jpeg 20201205_190513.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I am lazy...this is all I got:

Christmas time.jpg

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-7_7-46-55.png

Hello,

With the limited or cancelled holiday celebrations abound in So Cal or all over, there is still one tradition that continues since 1949 in Belmont Shore section of Long Beach. It is the traditional display of floating Christmas Trees that once were only located in the cruising grounds of most teenagers in all Long Beach and neighboring cities. It was a sight to see hot rods and cruisers as well as family station wagons driving so slowly down Bayshore Drive towards the ocean from 2nd street or vice versa.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/christmas-friday-art-show-2018.1133544/#post-12875299

upload_2020-12-7_7-47-25.png A special delivery to Alamitos Bay 1961-62 season, at the end of Bayshore Drive and Ocean Blvd.

As teenagers, it was part of our cruising grounds even without floating Christmas trees. The glistening bay and peninsula houses/activities were so cool to enjoy anytime of the year. But from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day, it has become a tradition for a lot of area families.

When my wife lived in a beach side apartment, the drive at night was hectic and we had to find our secret, direct drive to Ocean Blvd. without having to fight the traffic almost every night. It was horrendous on the weekend nights. Not to take away from the floating Christmas trees, but as pretty as they are, they do draw a lot of attention to the area. The weekends brought out the hot rods and cruisers. The rest of the week is usually family sedans and station wagons. These days it will probably be giant SUV behemoths taking up the spaces…

Jnaki

Since the popularity of the trees grew each year, the city and the local organizations decided to create more trees and spread the joy to other water locations around all of Long Beach city proper. Now, there are a few scattered in different waterways. They are nice, but the original string of floating trees in Alamitos Bay is still the reigning sight to see.

There weren’t Gondolas back when we were teenagers, but we did try to row over to some of the southerly trees in a small dingy, much to the laughter of the scene. These days, the imitation Italian black Gondolas with a singing driver can take your party for a spin down the floating tree lane. It does get freezing, not snow freezing, but very low, cold temperatures out on the water. If there are the normal West winds approaching the bay, that brings the temperatures lower. Be forewarned.

Time is of the essence this winter season. I am in the process of making a small replica of the lighted Alamitos Bay floating Christmas tree. It is pretty simple and with the new fairy lights, it is possible to drape and insert the lights into the wood for a realistic effect. It won’t float, unless I use wine corks on the bottom. (Then, the bottom will have to be sealed) But, it will be powered by a small battery case underneath. Our granddaughter is hard to supply with unusual gifts as a modern high school teenager. So, this one will surprise her. It is probably better than a 55 Chevy sedan in a snow globe I started to make last year.

Check the availability of Gondolas, as So Cal is in a tight lock down due to the increased pandemic problems. AND... It does get down to the mid 50s at night and the wind chill may be lower due to the consistent West winds coming off of the ocean, just steps away.

upload_2020-12-7_7-47-53.png

Christmas trees to light up Long Beach lagoon, lakes and bays

LB Press Telegram:

Now that Thanksgiving is over, Christmas trees are lighting up Long Beach waters.

The Trees in the Bay — an annual tradition dating back to 1949 with a real Christmas tree floated on the bay — returns with 67 triangular-shaped floating wooden beams with lights.

Eric Lyon, Parks, Recreation and Marine Department marine general maintenance supervisor, said crews began assembling the structures in September — as they do every year. By the first week of October, he said they begin placing the trees in areas such as Colorado Lagoon, Rainbow Lagoon and more.

Lyon said he uses up to 10 of the 16 maintenance employees, depending on whether a crane is needed. Custodial workers in his department aren’t used, he said.

“I enjoy the outcome, but it takes a lot of staff,” Lyon said. “It causes a headache sometimes, but it’s a rewarding part of the job.”

Cost to the city is $9,000 for installation, $1,100 for electricity in Alamitos Bay, south of Second Street and Colorado Lagoon, and $3,000 for repairs and reconstructions per year, Parks, Recreation and Marine community information officer Jane Grobaty said. The city can need up to 10 replacements per year, she said, but that’s not the case every year.

Each tree has 200 bulbs, strung by city staff, Grobaty added.

“We had LED lights one year, but we got complaints they weren’t bright enough,” Lyon said. “They didn’t look as good.”

This year, Grobaty said the bulbs will adorn six trees in Rainbow Lagoon, three in Rainbow Harbor, nine in Colorado Lagoon, two in Spinnaker Bay, 14 in Upper Bay, 10 in Lower Bay, 18 along the Peninsula, two each in the Heartwell Park and El Dorado Park West lakes, and one off the coast of Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier. Colorado Lagoon has two fewer trees this year to avoid the new eel grass habitat, which was part of the recent renovation, she said.

But the 16-foot trees on 8-by-8-foot bases weren’t always so prolific.

After resident Don May’s traditional tree in 1949, a wooden frame appeared in 1953 to stabilize the lights. Trees spread across the city gradually.

Then, Friends of Colorado Lagoon and adjacent neighborhood groups turned the tree lighting there into a community party. The Alamitos Heights Improvement Association has sponsored the event for about 20 years, according to AHIA president Gary Morrison.

Attached Files:

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Deuces and Lil32 like this.
  21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

More........

Deuces likes this.
  22. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

[​IMG]

Got my tree up,

And I decorated my Lemmon trees,
    The one on the left is named Burt and on the right is Munro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil32, Driver50x, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The Christmas Train conductor seeing if track is clear ahead. Merry Christmas
    007 (4).JPG

bobss396, Lil32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Last post on the 12th. this is the 20th. gotta be be more pics??? we all need a little cheer!!!!!

Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  25. b-bop

b-bop

My Grandson hauling his tree a couple years back. D614197D-CB91-4382-9695-D8C6E313DF61.jpeg

Lil32, lurker mick, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Not a lot of cheer this year

High test 63, Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  27. Well I first posted this one in 2005 and I've probably posted it a few times since, but it's been awhile...

[​IMG]

28. Deuces

Deuces

:(

Lil32 likes this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces