Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand value ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The ultimate "cool" factor is having an open axle sprint car rear end in your roadster
    and painting barber stripes on it. Drives the people that are following you crazy trying to figure out what you have.
    Tire wear isn't much of a factor if you don't get too wild on tire width.

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think the QC's are extremely cool but I don't like the idea of cutting my trunk floor to install one. I was told years ago that Halibrand use to sell a "dummy" QC. It was just the look and you couldn't quick change your gears. Was supposed to be a lot less expensive. Any truth to this? Any leads on one? LOL

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, they did make some. Don Orosco reproduced a few but I haven't seen any for sale except on epay. They are shorter and don't require cutting the gas tank or floorboards. The also made a aluminum center section that is cool looking.

Attached Files:

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

They also made that "no change" case in magnesium.

"I also thought I was ripping the guy off that bought my Cyclone for $1000.)

5. racemad55

racemad55

Is that the v-8 size or the champ size?

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

V8 on the no change's only as far as I know.

7. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Yup V8 non quickchanges. They sell on ebay for cheap at least every couple weeks. I think winters may have made some also.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Actually, more 3/4 ton than V8s. The one pictured is a 12 Bolt (Halibrand?)

There are 11 bolt versions too.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know V8 stuff pretty well, but I was never aware of 3/4 ton no change center sections. Other than drag stuff where weight loss would be negligible at best, what possible use could they be?

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Some oval track classes do not allow Quick Changes, usually reasoned as keeping costs down.The axle, brake and wheel combinations are well established for this type of racing. A 'No Change' center section allows the use of all these pieces in a given car.

While I believe a majority of racers do use a Ford 9" in these classes (for the 'ease' of gear changes), the 'No Change' has some things going for it, too. It is substantially lighter than a Ford 9". (I once built one that was 125 lbs. lighter than the Quick Change it replaced which was approximately the same weight as the 9" it replaced.)

The bevel ring and pinion takes less horsepower to turn than the hypoid type. And, the hypoid style tends to 'lock up' on deceleration, as the ring gear tries to climb the pinion. This is more noticeable as the gear ratios get steeper and on dirt more than asphalt. There have been racers that refined their combination using a Quick Change and then switched to a 'No Change' once the rear ratio was optimized.

So much for keeping cost down.

There are 21 R&P ratios available between 4.12 and 6.67 and a reverse rotation 4.86.

11. banjorear

banjorear

I had one of those. Traded for a Thickston PM-7 w/ air cleaner. The guy I traded it to was going ga-ga over it. I thought, why bother tearing a rear down for this. To each his own.

12. I'd say $5000 for any one thing on a hotrod is kind of crazy...unless it's the body itself, or a hot motor :)

To me it's not a question of correctness, it's a question of finances.

If you've got money and it doesn't stress you out to just drop five thousand to have something you "WANT" ... then go for it.

I mean, who doesn't absolutely love a $100,000 period correct car filled with high price, rare goodies????

But lets not kid ourselves...not everybody is in the salary bracket that permits having a $5000 rearend, $3000 mag wheels, a $10,000 blown flattie, $1000 headlights, $2000 gauge panel....etc...etc...etc...

And to me, if you're going to be a stickler about having one thing that's trad and rare and pricey...you kind of have to be a stickler on making everything like that.

If it's me... on my working man's salary with a house to pay for...a wedding coming...car payments...etc. I stick with the rearend I have and enjoy my hotrod for what it is!!

13. Just to add to that...I'd only ever consider a quick change or a banjo rear for 3 reasons.

1. If I had a "lakes modified" style car with a completely open and exposed rearend. Anything else back there looks UG!! and that's the awful truth. In this case, I'd be focusing more on a repro banjo...NON QUICKCHANGE... with newer style axles and big brakes. Tough as hell and the work is already done when it arrives...parts are readily available to fix.

2. I actually wanted to race my hotrod on the street and the strip on a regular basis without major bullshit. Mellow gears to get my mileage, and crazy gears to rip the strip. And again in this case I'd be going aftermarket repro.

3. I won the lottery....now we're talking high dollar hotrod, extremely rare parts...vintage V8 quickchange would definitely be on the parts list for this car. But if I'm tip-toeing around the $5000 range...I'd be looking for a rearend with a cool history...modified or run by some well known rodder back in the day.

Come to think of it...If I'm stanky rich....I'd probably be looking to buy a complete hotrod with history...with alot of rare goodies already on it...and restore that.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And then you'd be bashed to no end for "restoring" it and not preserving the history by keeping it in "survivor" form. :)

I am not extremely rich and I think the $4000 that even a new Winters could cost me would be better put into the rest of my build.

I'll have a lot of painting and plating etc. to pay for yet.

15. Yah... I hear you on the bashing...

but whether I'm rich or poor, I'll always do what I wanna...rise above the haters :)

and yah...I agree with you holding off on the quickie...money better spent elsewhere.

When $5000 becomes chump change, you know what to do.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If I was fortunate to find a "no change" centre section would it be as easy as just using the guts from my '32 or'40 rear end? Or do they take special gears and whatnot?

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Start your own thread on it !

18. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

My bad, I call 3/4 tons and V8's all V8's. I will have to remember to clarify next time.

19. Dannie D Rice

Dannie D Rice

Attached Files:

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks but you’re a little slow on the uptake.
    You’re responding to an old post and I have since bought and am running a new Winters nostalgia V8 quick change.

21. Dannie D Rice

Dannie D Rice

Sorry I couldn't get to you sooner. If you hear anyone looking send them my way please.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe the HAMB classifieds!

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Offered by someone with only 7 posts I wouldn’t be so quick to tell anyone about this supposed Halibrand for sale :D

Tman likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As a matter of fact I actually did check that first, did I use my head for more than a place to rest my glasses, nope.
    Anyone seen my glasses?:mad:

Blue One likes this.
  25. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

fishing --looks like Hamb shut him down -i think same guy has 12 spokes for sale he would sell==joined hamb today

26. He has ads up in the Classifieds. Hardly "shut down", dude.

New guy break in period withstanding. Sometimes, mistakes are made. Not a big deal.

Live & let live.

- - - -

Blue One, love the T, ( as always ). :cool:

Merry Christmas, brother. God bless you, & yours.

.. .. stay warm, & stay healthy.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, you too. Let’s enjoy our loved ones and look forward to a better year for 2021.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Saw that.
    I hope the 10 post rule doesn't push these people onto the mainboard, the mods have enough to delete and clean up as it is.