Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Street rod magazine interest ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace high, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm a lot like you fellows. I have about 25 milk crates under my stairs on shelves loaded with magazines back to the fifties and up and can't bring myself to do anything with them. On the bright side there still is people interested in buying them at the swap meet if I happen to sell doubles I have.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah there’s interest out there just not enough for a solid market I’d guess.

I’ve got a couple years of late 90’s early 2000’s street rodder that I’ve picked up cheap to free and I’m still missing a few issues. Shipping kills a lot of deals on these collections I think

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ace high

ace high

Looks like I'll probably try to sell first issues and Quarterly specials.

4. ace high

ace high

Man that's sad.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

6. j3harleys

j3harleys

I'm saving mine for the next time somebody hoards all the TP:D. What I really do take is them to the VA facilities I go to, But with this crap going on they won't let you bring any.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I like keeping mine and since the magazines have stopped printing, I don't have to concern myself with making room for new ones. The other day, I remembered seeing an old article in Street Rodder about Wayne Henderson's Vicky and how he spray painted the pinstripe so I went through the old ones and found it. Along the way I spotted this T bucket. Very nice build yet no one does one like this anymore. It is good to have a source for images like this. The memory alone Scan-201114-0002.jpg only goes so far.

8. ace high

ace high

You're right. Great ideas. Great technical stuff. Great memories.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Gosh, I used to have HRM and SI subs, used to save them all. This goes back through the 70’s. All wound up in milk crates, all wound up getting tossed.
    Now I wish I had them to look through

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

11. gtokid70

gtokid70

Well I started collecting back in the early 70s even bought some off a kid in class that picked them up from the garbage on his way to school, then not to mention the ones I never returned to the school library. From there it never stopped van, 4×4, mopar, and the list goes. The boxs kept accumulating, I was bagging each one, enjoying my treasures. Well three basement floods later and the loss of a few magazines. I got smart and weeded out the garbage, stopped at a certain date and started storing them in plastic totes Six to be exact not including the drawers full of the little mags. I'll never get rid of them and as I get old and my memory goes I can read them over and over and they will seem fresh again. Really sad to see the magazines die. They really were a great source of entertainment and information. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-T510 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I think we are all in the same boat................

13. I gave mine away to someone local that was on here. I kept the odd ball ones (hot rod mechanix and motor build ups I wanted). I was given some hot rod mags from the 70's- early 80's that are earmarked to give to someone else. I do still have a small collection of Hot Rod Deluxe.

The only ones I get now are car mags from the late 50's and older (free or close).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  14. brading

brading

It took me the best part of a year to find someone that wanted hundreds of Street Rodder, Hot Rod, etc English Custom Car and Street Machine mags for free. I still have about 30 Street Rodders to find a home for. That leaves me with about 500 mags. Those that I got rid of I scanned for any interesting articles. You try to buy a specific copy and they want a lot for them. Good luck trying to find a good home for them. Love looking through the old American rodding mags at technical articles.

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I had a huge stack dating from the '60's to today that a family friend gave me. After looking at all of them and keeping a few, I broke them down by decade and put them in huge lots on ebay. I was mailing them in a case of oil, media mail. I'd get about ten bucks a box. It wasn't a money making deal, it was to put them back out to people who wanted them. They did all sell.

16. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Growing up I always loved cars, but wasn’t really into magazines. I may have bought a dozen all told. Then about 25 years ago I started a subscription for The Classic Auto Restorer. Remember them. Plain white paper mag with no advertisements. I think later they dropped Classic from the name. I got more info and enjoyment from them than any of the glossy mags. I took that mag for 8-9 years. About 10 years ago an older friend gave me his 15 year collection. So I had boxes stacked in my garage... Then about 3 years ago while recovering from major surgery my wife “talked” me into cleaning out the garage.

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Currently have over 8,000 magazines and that's after taking a full truckload of 1975-up mags to my local recycler. I still take what others don't want and will pick up collections. I read my favorite brands and to a quick look through all of them. I have attempted to sell off duplicates and found it wasn't worth the time spent. I'll enjoy the hoard.

5window likes this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Old magazines are great, until storage overwhelms you.

MO54Frank likes this.
  19. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

My wife worked at the local hosp for many years , she took a load regularly for 25 years , dispersed them throughout the hosp, waiting rooms mostly . They tend to go away.

20. gtokid70

gtokid70

I think the fact that so many of these magazines survived 40,50,60 even 70 years shows that they meant something to there readers. They just weren't read a couple of times and discarded, many are in excellent condition. The magazines outlived many of the cars that were featured in them. Now you have a hard time giving them away. Sad how things have changed

Sent from my SM-T510 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

seb fontana and i.rant like this.
  21. I have tons of Hot Rod and Biker magazines. When I look at them I wonder if the girls are still modeling.

22. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of many shelves loaded with magazines. Each box held 1-2 years worth, depending on thickness of the mag's. All labeled and in order. Those pictured are all Street Rodder, from the beginning. All fun and games till you have to clean out someone's house. Yes, I kept them, as well as countless reference books and "How-To'" mag's. Others didn't make the trip home.
    IMG_0897.jpg

harpo1313 likes this.
  23. Drewski

Drewski

Digging around in my old magazines today. 1957 Rod & Custom and appeared to be 1959 Hot Rods. Rather interesting reading some of the articles. Article in the Hot Rods mag showing Kellison J4. Body sold for a touch over $600. I've got some that date back to 1951 that were geared toward repair shops. mags.jpg

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, they’re all the rage at the old folks home :D

25. scotts52

scotts52

I still hold on to them. You just can't get the same nostalgia/ info online.

Speed Gems likes this.
  26. 392

Keep the ones you like and start a fire with rest. I used to be like most and had several subscriptions but that was along time ago. Times have changed.

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had a huge spring clean and had a large blanket box FULL of magazines with many others from my bookcase going back to 70s that I reluctantly dropped into the recycling dumpster in '20 when I started downsizing in preparation for my extended travel to North America. Damn it was a hard decision however I only had limited storage space available at my son and daughter's home.

28. ElSolo

ElSolo

242D2BB5-0981-4CDF-89DC-D99F4343B34C.jpeg I reduced my collection started when I was 15 gave all but 1/3 away when we moved to Idaho and retired ,I’m sure when Iam gone they will be recycled I got see a lot of cars in those magazines in person and the older ones use to have a lot how to stuff . Always have hard time letting them go unless it’s someone who’s into cars wants them. ELsolo

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. I thought I had a lot of them until I saw you guy's post.
    I am glad I don't have that many. The more stuff you have, the more worry you have.

High test 63 likes this.
  30. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I am like a lot of you guys, had thousands of mags fro the 60’s on, many titles. Tried to sell them as individual copies then in year lots, no takers. Time came to downsize, the magazines had to go, along with the expectation that they would be worth something someday. All went into the 12 yard dumpster we used to clean out other stuff. Filled it up right to the top with stuff I thought I needed. Wrong! Gone now, ready to move. Soon as the snow melts!

High test 63 and TrailerTrashToo like this.