Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I have freaking had it! A rant about people not following through

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

How thick is the Delron? Also, do you need to be able to walk all the way around?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Delron is a brand name for a UHMW ( ultra high molecular weight plastic) , it can be ordered in many different forms..

continentaljohn likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm thinking he is talking about shower liner panels. So, that should be like .125" or so.

continentaljohn likes this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I used to do a lot of plastic laminate work . plain old hard surface 1/8 Masonite ( hardboard) is a excellent , inexpensive surface to work on ... 1/8" tempered hardboard , home depot , about $8 4x8 sheet

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    X-cpe likes this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

^^^^ this is what I use, but use 1 / 4 inch thick. Change it out a couple times a year. I wear it out. My work table is 5 x 8. About belly button high. Built a platform so my sewing table is the same height as my work table. Larger sewing surface is nice.

continentaljohn, Roothawg and 51box like this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

7. Back around 1958 I knew a guy who owned a used car lot in L.A. Every time he got a '49-'50 Merc in, he would send it out for metallic paint job and then have it upholstered. 2 guys and a woman would roll in with a large van full of material and a sewing machine. The guys would start stripping the car and the woman would start stiching. At the end of the day the car was completely done from headliner to carpets. Pretty good work too. It can be done.

8. I am about 50/50 with upholstery shops. One had my seats for my wagon for 8 months and then tried to double the price. I told him NO and he said come get the seats, when I got there they looked exactly like I dropped them off 8 months before. He had done nothing. The second guy I took them to had them done in a week and they looked great for the same amount the first guy had originally quoted. The second guy told me he was going to retire soon so had to go looking again for someone, went through the same rodeo again! Have had the same experience with radiator repair shops in the last five years, crappy work, high prices, then they go out of business so the warranty is void. Sad!

kidcampbell71 and Roothawg like this.
  9. Back in the '70's my uncle had a '55 T'bird that he was restoring. He took it to a local guy to get some mechanical work done. Same old story. month after month nothing happening. Finally we decided to go get the thing. Engine was out and had disappeared (312). A worn out 292 was sitting there and the guy swore that was the one that came out of the car. This kind of crap has been going on for a long time.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I did a Model A sedan for a guy. Low slung with a chop top, Slick black paint with a mile deep finish. When finished, the painter blames me for scratching the doors and repainting it cause there`s a tape line in the top of the door. I was dealing with the guy who built it. He subbed out the paint work. I told him if I could match paint that good, I would start painting instead of doing upholstery. Not knowing the brand of paint he used. Goes both ways.

dirty old man likes this.
  11. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

i have friends that never follow through. I got use to it.

hotrodA likes this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Roothawg the stuff I use is .125 thick and have tried to use the @2OLD2FAST idea of Masonite but I cut thick leather on it as well of just measuring or shearing on it. The hardboard gets grooved when making lets say straps cut after cut and chips out. A picture of the panel and can see razor marks on the surface. This shit is tough and use the smooth back side and lasts and with a quick sand good for another year.
    I have my table being portable 4x8 and did my boat cover with 30 feet of material to sew. I dont see why it couldn’t be in a corner especially if your not doing car covers or awnings:D. B771F631-E74A-4186-B190-39717A714C46.jpeg

stanlow69 likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice work!

14. modagger

modagger

I was stationed in San Diego in ‘67 and I remember taking the bus into Tijuana on liberty. As we approached “T” town, the road was slightly elevated and we could look down at the upholstery shops one after another with they’re bay doors wide open in the heat working on hot rods of all kinds. Seemed like every one had California plates. I’ll bet there was some serious tuck and roll going on there.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I found a picture of @theHIGHLANDER IMG_20201215_0002.jpg in a magazine I saved years ago. The article is about welding in patch panels.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would love to see pics of you upholstery guys work areas.

17. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think the breakdown happens due to people knowing their particular trade well enough but do not know how to run an efficient business.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even though my brother had not sewn in over 20 years, his friend let us use his trim shop for a weekend so my brother could sew up the convertible top on Saturday and the tonneau cover on Sunday for my 36 Ford Cabriolet. I only have a few photos of him sitting at the sewing machine from that weekend.

10.JPG
    14.JPG

19. AC Chapman

AC Chapman

I'm with the guy that posted the Singer sewing machine. If I can't do what ever it is, I learn how to.

tomcat11 likes this.
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

That is one thing I use to emphasize to my students. If they had any ideas of running their own shop, they needed to go down campus and take a couple of Continuing Ed classes on how to run a business. Its not technical incompetence that puts them under, its not knowing what it takes start and run a business.

weps and ZZ Top Chop like this.
  21. spanners

spanners

I can't help but think some blokes won't have a go at sewing in case their mates find out they 'sew' and therefore will be accused of batting for the other team. :D

vtx1800 likes this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

spanners,
    Naw, it's more like your one buddy with a truck and a trailer. :p

Desoto291Hemi and X-cpe like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I see, hanging in the shop are cloths hangers. My salesman was telling me that one of his customers hung left over fabric and vinyl from cloths hangers on a overhead beam in his shop. One day, it collapsed bringing down his roof. I see new ceiling panels. Hope it wasn`t this guy. Or they could be used for wire in listings.

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Not following through is on par with not assuming responsibility.

25. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

If your Blokes or Wanker friends think you pack fudge because you sew, your hanging around the wrong Blokes. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Worked in an upholstery shop part time while attending trade school. The owners brother used to sew. Until an oldman came in and thought the world had come to an end. With a GUY sewing. Only on a rare occasion would he sew after that. I wasn`t there to witness it. But I was there when they were sweeping the broken glass up on the sidewalk after the owner threw someone out the large plate glass storefront window. Sometimes you have to be careful what you say.

dirty old man and dsiddons like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

I’d never noticed a lady working in an upholstery shop, now I haven’t been in one for 15 years, but never thought anything of it

moparboy440 and bchctybob like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That was over 30 years ago. A different time in a different world.

Roothawg likes this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

None of my girlfriends could use a sewing machine but I can.

moparboy440, Roothawg, X38 and 3 others like this.
  30. spanners

spanners

I used to watch my mother sew and was fascinated by the workings of the machine. She taught me to sew so I'd be able to repair my own clothes when I went out into the big, bad world. My wife creates beautiful quilts but hates sewing clothes so I get that job including doing 30 costumes for a school variety night. Sometimes it's a change from getting greasy and covered in dust and rust. At the moment I don't have any upholstering to do but will next year on my '53 Dodge Fargo.