Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to Get Started...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tribalmonkey, Dec 14, 2020.

1. .....I think most of them that you find are already in the rumble seat configuration.

2. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Yeah. I am looking at one that doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Considering your description of your skill level, and entry level exposure to old hotrods, I'd be inclined to say you should be looking for a running, driving project to begin with. And I'd suggest whatever you consider should be also looked at by someone knowledgeable with the type of car you're considering first.
    Once you've got something that's a solid basis, you can then learn as you go, and not get drug down by a non running project that can overwhelm a newcomer.

i.rant and Tony Martino like this.
  4. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm 6'1" presently 250 I have been up to 275 and down to 225 (years ago....)
    I have never had any problem fitting in an old car.
    The most problematic for me was a late model Camry.:rolleyes: I had to fold up like an envelope just get into it. Once there I was OK access and egress was the problem.
    No problemo with pre-1972 anything...even a 27 Model T I tried on.
    I am long torso...short legged, so that may make a difference. If you are long legged I can see some discomfort.
    With that said it is close quarters in a pre-55 model car, but for me not uncomfortable.

You hear that people were "smaller" then but this is really untrue. As a whole people were less fat then but with proper nutrition, body frame size remains unchanged throughout recent modern history.
    The main reason older vehicles are small is because automobiles originate from horse drawn vehicles. Horse drawn vehicles were built compact. This compact trend continued through the first half century of automotive development.

In normal times I would recommend you go to shows and try on some of these cars for fit.....Now???

6. alchemy

alchemy

Seems a little overpriced for me, considering all you won't be using from it. Guys will tell you to sell all the leftovers to restorers, but don't believe them. Only hot rodders are buying stuff nowadays.

WiredSpider and Tman like this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You'll get that for that Jeep. It's unbelievable how they hold value. I have never seen anything like it......

I too think that coupe is just a little over priced. A red flag for me on it is the nonoriginal style 2 tone paint... Be careful...sometimes you pay for extras that are really a matter of the owners taste.

8. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Would be nice to find an even trade. I just talked to the guy. He’s interested. With the weather and holidays it may be awhile before I get up there to check it out.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

The restorer guys are getting old and dying off and there aren't as many people looking for the old drivetrain pieces. Check out old hot rods too. In both cases, there is a lot of shoddy workmanship to look for.

11. 454ADF82-DBD2-4BE5-8B25-F30DE4AB10AE.jpeg
    a 27/27 T body
    Simplest chassis to build.
    Toss in your engine of choice.

12. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Yeah. Not sure that is my style. However, I am certainly open to suggestions and recommendations. Model A (roadsters, coupes, and maybe even the trucks) and other old trucks primarily Fords are what I am looking at now.

lothiandon1940 and Stock Racer like this.
  13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Since this is your first, buy the most complete car/truck you can afford. A project that runs with a title is a plus. You can make it your own but still enjoy driving it while doing so. Nothing stalls a project like getting in over your head so be honest with yourself. Find some local Hot Rodders to hang out with. Then you can do a ground up afterwards and you'll have something to drive and enjoy while doing so.

Tony Martino likes this.
  14. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks. Popular advice and I am 100% listening.

lothiandon1940 and Stock Racer like this.
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Maybe get the Truck then build a Model A from the ground up. Then you'll have a cool parts hauler.

16. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Cool idea! What are your thoughts on a Model A truck?

Stock Racer likes this.
  17. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Skip the truck, they are too tight inside. It’s okay for a short trip, but in the long run you wouldn’t be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dustyp489 likes this.
  19. Check this one, in Deleware FB
    link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac.../?ref=product_details&referral_code=undefined
    Bet you can get it less than asking.
    Driving, titled looks great.
    No body work.
    No interior work.
    Change wheels and tires, loose the bumpers.
    Get a dropped front axle and some juice brakes.
    All easy change while you drive stuff.
    Sell what you took off.
    See if you really like Model As.
    Even banger engine options can be fun!
    Then think about the drive train.
    Just my $.02
    PS: don't mention "Hot Rod" to the seller!
    131419091_806561439889695_9181334157433192990_o.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Dick Stevens like this.
  20. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Maybe a later Ford truck with a flathead.

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

95% restored 1930 F150? No distributor cap or plug wires - That last 5% might get very expensive - I consider taking the head off of an overheated engine might lead to a complete rebuild....

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This looks like a good candidate for a first hot rod build and the price isn't outrageous!

Tony Martino likes this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I keep thinking that we are steering you along the wrong path. O.K.You get the Model A and it's in great shape. Then what? Look at what we are promoting here - we limit most of our builds with that before 1965 mindset. With that stock Model A, you still have to round up all the other parts. The last flathead dates to 1953 - 1954 in Canada. '39 toploader transmissions are 81 years old. Our more modern parts such as 9" rear ends are over 30 years old. Maybe you like the looks of a '40 Ford dash. They are not behind every bush either. Those early Ford juice brakes; maybe you like Buick finned drum brakes. Old guys like me have these things because we stashed them away way back when. I'm thinking that it is time to suggest doing a fiberglass T bucket, but even there, there is a lot of scrounging to do.
    Another suggestion would be to find a '39 to '48 Ford. They come with the flathead v8, hydraulic brakes, and buggy springs already in place. You also have to consider that these cars are really old and worn out.

24. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I suggest a 50's Ford Truck for a driver. Tons of parts and upgrades available for them and they are easy to work on. A lot more room also.

25. If those two Model A's are close enough to get to, do it. If for no other reason but to climb in and do a test fit for comfort. If you ware a size 12 or larger shoe, get your Feet on those pedals and see how that works for you.

Atwater Mike and vtwhead like this.
  26. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Goldmountain - I appreciate your perspective. I am excited about having a completed hot rod but even more excited about the journey of making it my own and learning along the way. I'm having fun even in this phase trying to decide which direction I should take. I’m ok with tracking down parts, doing the research, and asking you guys for help. I'm learning a lot already. (fiberglass or t-buckets don’t appeal to me for some reason but the idea of a rumble seat roadster or coupe certainly does :))

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I have started looking at these now too.

Stock Racer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Don't trade. That's my advice. It never seems to work out, at least it never has for me.

$10,000 is a lot of buying power. Anything you add to it only helps.

(7) Marketplace - 1946 Ford Deluxe coupe | Facebook

A 1946 Deluxe Coupe with extra parts 3 flatheads, one that runs....intact 7500OBO

There is a lot out there choose wisely.
    Research research research!, If you can try to take a ride or drive the type of car you are interested in.
    I'll share this....
    For about all my life I have wanted a Model T Ford. I wanted a 26-27 touring or a 26-27 coupe or sedan. We have been blessed and this past year I had the opportunity to finally get that T.

I chose a 1951 Ford Coupe. Although I love a Model T and I live in a place I could actually drive it to town. I chose the 51 because I used to own a 50 and I've always had a passion for them. The Model T was just too limited. It would have been fun.....but the 51 is just a more viable vehicle on the road.
    A Model A is a great car. They are so much more advanced than the T, but still, it's limited.
    If you plan to hot rod the car and make a AV8, there's a lot of waste there.
    If you plan to run the A with the banger, mechanical brakes and original transmission there's plenty of fun there but the car is more limited than say a later V8 sedan or coupe.

Here is a great review of a 48 Ford ..
    1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8 Tudor Start Exhaust, Test Drive, and In Depth Review - YouTube
    A 58 Chevy...
    1958 Chevrolet Biscayne: Start Up, Test Drive & In Depth Review - YouTube
    A 59 348 Chevy
    1959 Chevrolet Biscayne Duntov V8 Patrol Car Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube
    A 49 Pontiac
    1949 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe 8 Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube
    1929 Model A Fordor
    Why the Ford Model A Fordor Sedan is the Best Family Car From 1929 - YouTube
    1941 Plymouth
    1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe P12 MOPAR pre-war classic car - YouTube
    1950 Rocket...
    1950 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 - YouTube

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm probably gonna catch some flack for this but have you looked at buying an aftermarket frame and starting there? Build the chassis with motor, tranny and rear end. Basically a roller, and wait for that perfect body. That way, you can keep working without a huge investment up front.

There is always a Brookville body also. It's not Ford but it is dent and rust free to start with.

goldmountain and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  30. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Hmmm.... I really don’t care to go dent and rust free to be honest. However, this is similar to the thoughts I was having when I first started this thread. Maybe I find a frame, find a body, find a drive train..... The concern I have with that now is that since I don’t have a lot of experience I might end up spending a lot more due to buying parts that are either in unusable condition or not compatible.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app