Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical weather strip glue ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Dec 14, 2020.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

this might seem like a stupid question . what is the best glue for door/trunk/ etc..ive used 3m every time i believe .the results are never what i expect/ permanent. bare metal , then pain and coat both surfaces . whats the trick ?

stillrunners likes this.
  2. partssaloon

partssaloon

You put it on both surfaces and then spread it with a popsicle stick and let it set for 1 or 2 minutes before you attach.

3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I only use the 3M brand...available in either yellow or black. I like black most of the time as it matches
    the rubber, but you can see on vintage cars where they just smeared on yellow glue, so the yellow does
    have a place. I agree with partssaloon, too, smoosh it onto both surfaces if possible, or do a "trial' stick,
    plue it apart and then stick it together for good. 3M sets up in about 3 minutes.

stillrunners and mad mikey like this.
  4. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I have always used the yellow 3M. You can try using a degreaser on the surface first, like for adhesive removal. I forgot the part number. Good luck so far.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep 3m here too, better known as gorilla snott.

6. The 3m yellow I call it “ chicken snot “ works well
    The black is nice as if you make a mess ya don’t see it
    Putting it on both surfaces helps with binding as does waiting a few minutes.
    There is also a bonding primer or adhesion promoter you can brush or spray onto the metal to help it stick.

7. The 3m yellow is the ticket like others have said. I've never used a de-greaser prior to applying it as rubbing alcohol on a clean rag seems to do the trick.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Black window urethane, the stuff that holds widows in. Never liked the rubber weather stripping glue. You will need strong hands or a 60 dollar caulking gun. Wear rubber gloves cause it gets messy.

9. Super glue does well. If you to then run some black 3m under the weather strip

10. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

This video really helped me out. Goes over the different application techniques in a head to head type comparison.

stillrunners, vtx1800 and GordonC like this.
  11. 5window

5window

I used 3M black. When it came time to re-install the rear and quarter windows in my A coupe after painting, the painter knew a "windshield" guy who would install stuff after hours. Wasn't cheap, but it has held up well.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx for the advice . more welcome .i think ill try the urethane . as stated 3 m hasnt worked for me .tryed less ,more ,wetter ,drier, nothing permanent yet on MANY of my cars!!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. I've used contact cement many times. I hate dealing with the "super weather strip adhesive". Quart can of weldwood contact glue and a pack of those cheap small paint brushes, and a roll of masking tape.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You boys are talking about the 8001 3M stuff! The exact same stuff I use on a lot of gaskets!
    Best stuff in the world... or used to be! I haven’t tried some of that new stuff you all talk about!

Bones

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You must not be cleaning it right! You put 3M 8001 on clean surfaces , hold it there till it will hold it self and let it set overnight.... you can’t blast it off with dynamite!

Bones

16. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

3M yellow or black has never failed for me, coat both surfaces let tack off, recoat both surfaces and put it together, blue or green tape is the trick to hold it to most surfaces if you can't set a weight on it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

3M weatherstrip adhesive fixed a vacuum leak on this Stihl chainsaw.

[​IMG]

I really, really don’t want to take it apart again.

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.