Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "1927 Mercury" phantom - not a hotrod...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodfil, Aug 22, 2012.

1. The Coupe is coming along slowly - funds have dried up for the engine though...

[​IMG]

bymanr, brEad, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  2. That's such a nice combination of body and fenders. It really looks like a factory built car.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. bct

bct

You sure do nice work. Especially like the hoods.

4. Loving the coupe

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thank you for displaying your work, as it's an inspiration! (Great thread also!)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The coupe looks great. Be interesting in seeing what you had to do to fit the rear fenders to the body.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very nice cars ! so what do you do in your spare time ? if you find an off the shelf clutch , let us know ..
    steve

The37Kid likes this.
  8. Oh just stuff. Y'know. A bit of housework and fixing the bus. Messing with the Fordor (just built a fresh diamond B for it), and a bit of double bass playing. ford-fording.jpg~original.jpeg mill.jpg 27654643_10156114100692329_5331517526317084372_n.jpg Bedford-at-the-Mill.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    GuyW, brEad, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  9. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

Followed over here from my brake thread. Really superb. The touring car looks factory and I love seeing the cars used.

10. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

Wonderful build, creative and practical!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  11. I eventually redid the top - shortened the rear irons 3" and lowered the header 2" over the screen. It's still tall...
    The Coupe has been the weapon of choice for the past couple of years. So much so that I've run a rod and had a white metal exodus from the mains on my favourite diamond B block. Mind you it's had twelve years of enthusiastic driving in three different vehicles, with a cam that likes to rev, and a foot willing to follow it... Me n Glen.jpg
    fairground rides.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    brEad, Okie Pete, James D and 5 others like this.
  12. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Not sure how I how I missed this thread, but what great cars you build!

I'm interested in those SU's on the ally manifold, did you get them to work ok in the end?
    I'm having problems with chilling and condensation with twin down draught Zeniths on a fabricated steel manifold, and wondering if that style of ally manifold help with that?

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

alot of bandwidth , but very nice car !!

14. spit6

spit6

Wow, two nice cars, you do great work, any tips on building the hoods?

15. I tried the downdraft SU's on a Riley twin carb manifold for a Model A. I'd run a single before quite succesfully. They sort of worked - never did get them quite dialled in though, and vibration kept rattling the float bowls loose. Not good over the exhaust...

Find a cheap supply of aluminium...
    Made mine from some panels left over at a local sheet metal company. Just big enough so no room for error without actually having to buy material! I used 1.5mm thick.

Formed the hinges and rolled bottom edge just beating it over a length of flat clamped to the panel with the rod resting on top to form an overfold and then gradually rolling it to fit. Top was rolled over various gas bottles and large pipe.

brEad, 282doorUK and lothiandon1940 like this.