Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Scratches in the windshield.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Thanks Lloyd, I use the bars from them, I’ll have to look into the powder, haven’t seen it before.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't help with the scratches but I feel for you regarding Melinda. 19 years ago my 15 year old niece suffered a TBI from a bicycle accident. A young vibrant life completely changed in an instant. The doctors said she probably would have made a full recovery if she had been wearing a helmet. My thoughts are with you and your family and kudos for not loosing it about the scratch.

3. Glass is resilient. I've used a lot of experimental products over the years trying to fix flaws. I'll tell ya what, it's amazing what 0000 steel wool and the orange pumice hand cleaner will bring out. And I'm not kidding. But if you have insurance, it doesn't cost anything in Ky to get a new windshield. There's no deductible on glass here. Kinda like when people ask me how much I charge to buff a car, when what it actually needs is a paint job.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

We would get some fleet cars in that had the windshield scrapped with a metal object. Kitchen spatula or whatever. It left some damage. Some got cleaned up using Bon Ami and a lot of time. Most did clean up well enough.

HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used the Eastwood glass polishing kit on rear glass . It had deep scratches that looked like from a diamond ring. Yes it did remove them pretty much ,but left the glass kind of wavy , not what you want in a windshield .

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  6. I wouldn't even think about doing something like that!

Thanks for the reply's, I plan try to try some of the suggestions, worse case scenario I will replace the windshield. HRP

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Hope you get the scratches out.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I've seen average results with tooth polish, good luck, my sister had a TBI some years back- best wish's.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. A number of years ago, the last time I had my Galaxie painted, my local glass shop removed my windshield and rear window and stored them for me while the car was being painted. When I arranged to have them re-installed when putting the car back together, it was found that the inside curves of the windshield both had been scratched during the time of storage. They sent the glass to another glass shop in a larger city (Winnipeg) and it came back in a couple of days with no visible scratches. They had been able to polish them out very nicely. They were pretty deep scratches, but out of the normal sight lines. I do sometimes notice that the view thru this part of the windshield is not optically correct,but I almost never see it.

Maybe talk to your local glass shop before doing anything. They may be able to help you or help advise what to do. I know the guys at the shop I use have bent over backwards to help me out when I need them.

As has been said before, it sounds like you handled this incident better than most folks might be inclined to. My hat's off to you for realizing what was important as this was happening. Your Daughter has an amazing Father.

10. BJR

BJR

That was a tung and cheek comment, I know you would never do anything even remotely illegal or unethical. Also you showed your colors by how you acted with your daughter. Not that it needs saying, but you are a good man HRP.

11. You had me going, glad you were pulling my leg. :D HRP

VANDENPLAS and BJR like this.
  12. 338BCCF6-0744-4577-B804-CA719FBA44D8.jpeg

Here’s her “paw print”
    Best I could do was date it , told now the drive way will always be hers !!!

13. Well, I actually have these two items in the garage, nothing to loose by trying it, I'll let you now how it works out. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. We used to polish them. I don't remember the product but I don't doubt I could search it out. But you buff 'em just like paint. It won't take the gouges out but it will take the small scratches out.

Not so much today but it was common 40 years ago to get one cheap because they had run bad wiper blades (or none) and with a little work you can usually save one of those that way.

I had to polish the windshield on my Aunt Lila's new Ford when I was in high school. My baby goats decided to play king of the hill on it. Lila was a little upset, but my Uncle Wells said, "Well they were just being goats." We take life as it comes don't we. :cool:

David Gersic and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't dishonor the site with a OT pic but on one of my top dollar Bandit T/A's the t-tops were destroyed from sliding around in the trunk without the protective pouch. I'm talking gouges! I found a local guy that specializes in polishing glass. He couldn't get all the way to the frame around the glass but he cut every scratch out. If you knew where to look you could see the depth that he cut away. Pretty amazing really. I paid him a couple hundred per panel.

Doing that to a windshield would be tough as the surface needs to be flat where the wipers ride and so as not to distort the view horribly. I have also used a hammer and punch and a quick call to my insurance company.

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For scratches that aren't very deep, I've had real good luck with using a Cyclo polisher with cutting pads and 3M rubbing compound, finished up with machine polishing compound.
    It takes time, lots of time. You don't want to use a buffer that will generate heat = crack.
    That's why I like the Cyclo.
    Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

R A Wrench likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah well that ain't "free", they just roll that right into the cost of yours (and everybody else) Insurance premium. Your wonderful state gubbmint at work.

When I was a brandy new "tactical helicopter repairer" in the .mil there was one getting ready for phase maintenance fairly soon and needed new windshields. They get blasted by sand and dust and dirt and pitted. A dirty windshield, or pitted is dangerous, especially in glare. I got the bright idea to try and polish and buff it out a bit. I borrowed a tube of "Amway Glass & Chrome Polish" and went to town on a single panel, the right seat. I was pretty proud of myself. Looked great!

Well. Unbeknownst to me, there is or there was a coating on the glass that helps shed rain into droplets, instead of clinging like saran wrap. Maybe a heavy application of Rain-X would have helped some, I didn't think of that.

Apparently there was a night training mission (where NVGs are used) and it rained pretty good that night. I was wrenching on something the next day minding my own business when I hear someone on the flight line, a pilot exclaim "Who the F$&@k buffed the window on 005!!?" He knew who it was and was ready to chew me a new one. Oops!

Uh-oh. I thought he was gonna kick my ass. LOL.

R A Wrench and loudbang like this.
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

If it were me I'd leave it lone. Attempts to remove scratches is futile.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Ive used the same compounds and buffer for paint on lightly scratched / hazed windhsields.

Deep scratches, I like the rock chip / insurance claim/ road hazard idea.

My 3 year old daughter was helping me wash my truck, she didnt like the sponge and figured a rock would work pretty well. OOPS. Most of it buffed out. :D

Truck64 likes this.
  21. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Hey HRP, my windscreen is very scratched, 30 plus years sitting in a paddock probably used as a shed. They are inside and outside, light and deep. Putting up with it for the moment while I look for a screen. Only problem is I can only find in the UK and it's bloody expensive to Australia. :(
    Long story short I would be interested as to how yours turns out if you decide to try polishing it.

Paul

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about the scratches, but the whole deal just confirms what I've known about Danny for all the time since I met he and Brenda at a gathering tocelebrate the completion of Frankie Four Fingers new shop at his home in Moon Valley, SC.
    And that is that He and Brenda are 2 of thwe coolest, laid back, and just plain good people I have ever met:cool:
    Danny you've had a lot of suggestions, one more is toothpaste:D