Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical upholstery question about what to use for pleating fabric.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by supercab78, Dec 9, 2020.

1. supercab78

supercab78

It's not car related, but boat cuddy cabin cushions. I'm trying to recover them using the old foam cushion.
    The original fabric has a 1/4 inch poly/dacron batting sewn to the fabric with 3 inch pleating. This poly stuff had a fabric(scrim) on it. I'm guessing to ease the sewing and catch the thread. I did 4 of the 11 cushions using a 1/4 scrim foam(sew foam). My corners could stand to be a better fit. I have 2 questions. 1) Is the poly batting easier to work with than the foam? 2) If the poly is more forgiving can I use 1/4 poly batting without the scrim? I can't seem to find 1/4 poly batting with fabric backing(scrim).

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The batting would work if you are using light weight fabric and want it to look poofy. Other wise it will just flatten out if on a boxed cushion.

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I’ve been playing around sewing and found this boat stuff today. I suck but this is what I was able to do. It’s boat vinyl already pleated IMG_0835.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

continentaljohn, harpo1313 and reagen like this.
  4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Had a hell of a time making a pattern . It didn’t turn out to well but I did learn a lot how to sew it all together.

reagen likes this.

5. Source?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. supercab78

supercab78

7. supercab78

supercab78

Baby steps!! I have done 4 cushions so far and have found that I get a little better with each one. No doubt it the same for you.

8. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Great Lakes Skipper is the site. I found this stuff in my attic. It’s has a bit foam backing but not much

9. For making patterns the best thing I found was to go buy some clear vinyl and use that. When you are not familiar with what you are doing being able to see through it when you are making and marking patterns makes it way easier. You can look right down on the work and mark it on the top exactly where you want it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I’ve been playing around with that clear stuff. But for the sides of a seat cushion do you use clear? And do you use pins to tack your patterns? What is your technique? Thanks for any input

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Lay your board on the vinyl. Trace around it adding a 1/2 inch. Or 3/8 for seam allowance all the way around. Cut your vinyl bigger. Add a stiffner to your vinyl, like 1/4 inch scrim backed foam. Or 1/2 inch. Just glue it on good. Sew around that before adding your boxing. Trim off your excess. Cut your boxing and sew it on. The stiffner will add strength to the vinyl, it will stretch less when installing the newly sewn cover. Your cover won`t wrinkle up when scooting across it. Don`t need pins like quilters do.

continentaljohn likes this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@dsiddons thanks for the link skipper in WI didn’t know about that joint. I like the sewn one inch pleats your seat looks great...

dsiddons likes this.
  13. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have been viewing a lot of upholstery how to by MECA on Youtube. He shows very practical ways to upholster cars that most of us can relate to. He has a mix of Spanish and English dialogue. The videos are excellent and need no explanation so if it s all Spanish then I play my own tunes for the background. There is some very good information on sewing pleats and rolls in English.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHT1WKlZZ8li7n55v4wfiQ/videos

Here are some of his videos in English.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ClickToSeeAllMyVidiosInElglish

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Did this today with the heated pleated stuff. IMG_0844.JPG

southerncad and reagen like this.
  15. reagen

reagen