Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chuck Yeager Drove A Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Chuck Yeager Drove A Hot Rod

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

BradinNC, 63fdsnr, reagen and 26 others like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Chuck!!!.... :(

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Quick story...

In 1985, I was 9 years old and my old man and I were at the Indy 500. We went to some sort of a banquet dinner - one of those big conference rooms packed with big round tables surrounded by 8 chairs, name tags with assigned seating, fancy glasses full of water, etc...

We found our assigned seats and my dad started smiling as we sat down. The seat next to his was assigned to Chuck Yeager. I will never forget the preparation he gave me before Chuck showed up:

"This isn't Mario or Al or any of those guys. This is a real hero. Someone that risked his life to make yours better. When he introduces himself, you make damn sure to look him in his eyes, shake his hand, and thank him for his service. DO NOT fart around, understand?"

Mr. Yeager gets there. My dad fumbles all over himself, introduces me, and I hand over the best "I'm a good kid" impersonation that I had in inventory.

To be honest, I don't remember much more than that... But I always think of that moment when trying to teach my own little shit manners and what not...

Funny because most parents say shit like, "Are you gonna put your elbows on the table if you are eating dinner at the Whitehouse?"

While my family tends to lean more towards, "Do you know what Chuck Yeager would do to you if you eat with your elbows on the table???"

4. The general was a neighbor here in Grass valley Ca.Waiting to hear if he will be buried locally,or at Arlington

HEMI32, Tman, Deuces and 2 others like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

He broke the sound barrier in 1947. He looks young in that picture. It was probably his daily driver.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bad ass....You actually sat with him!!!

7. Boatmark

Boatmark

As I remember the story of that car, it didn’t become a Hot Rod until much later. It belonged to a test pilot stationed at Edwards post war. It was a beater, but the guy liked it, and was sort of known by the car. Unfortunately like too many the pilot was killed in a test program.

His wife was leaving and didn’t want the car, and felt it should stay there. So she sold it to another test pilot for $1 with the stipulation it should always stay at Edwards, owned by a test pilot, and always be passed on to the next owner for $1. Chuck Yeager was one of its caretakers, and when he left he sold it on keeping the tradition.

This went on well into the sixties (started post war) until someone broke the chain. Supposedly it left the area and became a Hot Rod. Wonder where it is now.

Cosmo49, Petejoe, loudbang and 16 others like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I was doing some research after reading about the passing of Chuck Yeager. Growing up, the famous rockets and jets topic was always in our school assemblies in a presentation, as a popular topic and slide shows. We poured over tons of magazines covering all of the flying machines he flew. My brother and I were two very impressed little kids.

Here is a quick blurb on the Model A from the club news:

“Then in 1958 the Club went national, naming the very first official chapter in Bakersfield, followed quickly by Edwards Air Force Base almost simultaneously, though Bakersfield is the recognized first chapter in America and remains so to this day now celebrating 60 years and counting.”

“The historical significance of the Edwards Chapter which sprang up on the heels of the Bakersfield Chapter was that American aviation hero and legend Chuck Yeager was a member of that Edwards Model A Club of America chapter, and drove an old Model A that the base members shared and each got to drive based on who was ahead in the sky so to speak. Top gun got to drive the car around base and it rotated, with Colonel Yeager racing around in it at times.”

Jnaki

That fast rocket plane was fun to draw as it was a long hot dog with a point. That was how we laughed and drew as well as we could. Of course, the wings were straight up and down as perspective was not part of our repertoire as yet. As a matter of fact, in drawing, it still is a hard thing to get it right.

9. Boatmark

Boatmark

One other Yeager / car story.
    When he drove the pace car at the Indy 500 in the 80’s part of the deal was for GM to give him a new Corvette.

After the race his wife decided that a Corvette was silly at their age, with their outdoor ranch lifestyle. So without telling him she called GM and made a deal to get an S-10 Blazer and a 3/4 ton work truck 4x4 instead of the Vette.

10. Chuck Yeager is a true American Hero, Ryan, you are so lucky to have actually met the man. HRP

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then man was the "genuine article ", no brag, just fact!
    Pretty amazing that at age 24, with two broken ribs, he wriggled himself into the Bell X-1 and broke the sound barrier !

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I enjoy reading and learning something new about history . The tid bits and personal stories, like you, Ryan meeting Mr. Yeager, bring history to life for me. Much appreciated you sharing.

13. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

R.I.P. Chuck .

Lil32, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Chuck Yeager had a small place near Norwood CO and was an avid hunter. He hung out at a shop there and was very easy to talk to, especially if it was about hunting. A couple of years ago, somebody did a clone of his WWll fighter, also called the Glamours Glennis and displayed it at the Telluride Cars & Colors show

chryslerfan55, Tman, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  15. very proud of my fellow West Virginian

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

R I P General Chuck

Lil32, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  17. railcarmover

railcarmover

That man had more guts than a slaughter house.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Yeager family and friends on the passed of this Hero on so many levels...so many milestones being described in this Thread...so many here bring this story to a more personal level...may he Rest in Peace...

19. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got 2 of his autobiographys, excellent reads and a fascinating life.
    He lived life to the fullest. Rip

Phil

hrbhrb, olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  20. RIP Brigadier General Chuck Yeager.. Mach 1 to the Pearly Gates.. American Hero !

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. I had heard it said that Chuck Yeager's on-the-radio voice mannerisms are the benchmark that all other pilots affect and copy, whether talking to the control tower or making an announcement to the passengers, etc.
    A moment ago, before posting here, I checked the 'net to see what the word was on that. I found this good story and a super photo (worth saving) down the page about halfway............

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/silky-smooth-chuck-yeager-voice/

23. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Chuck Yeager has been one of my aviation heroes since I was a kid. His contributions to aviation are unsurpased.
    It was mentioned that pilots try to emulate his speech pattern on the radio and that is true. His drawl and how he carried himself are all part of a pilot's persona.
    If your not cool and collected how are you going perform under extreme pressure.
    There are three men that made me want to be a pilot
    My father
    Chuck Yeager
    R A Bob Hoover
    My dad is the only one left
    RIP Chuck Yeager
    Enjoy a drink with your buddies at Ponchos

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

he was quoted as saying " just a young kid at the right place at the right time" - true but, he had all of the "right stuff" to make it all happen - we get excited going 100mph

6inarow, Joe Blow, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  25. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I thought I would share a story my dad told me about Yeager.
    Chuck was on a flight my father was flying. As they didn't have anyone in the jump seat dad went back and asked if he wanted to come up to the cockpit and Chuck happily accepted.
    After few minutes of aviation talk, the conversation moved to hunting.
    Dad had a blast talking about hunting stories in Alaska with our 57 Cessna 180.
    Just thought you all might enjoy that.

26. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

So many cool stories. Yeager was, and is, the Man.

27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

One of the greatest of the Greatest Generation.
    87 Motor Trend Interview
    MT:
    If you could replay your life, would you change anything?
    CY: Nope, I couldn't have planned it any better.

28. There is a great song about Chuck Yeager by Steve Earle. It is called Fastest Man alive and worth checking out.

belair and Joe Blow like this.
  29. J_J2

J_J2

[​IMG]

Badass doesn’t even begin to describe him. One of my greatest heroes ever.
    [​IMG]

I have a framed print of this in my office.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was one of the real heroes that I grew up following. My age was still counted in months when he broke the sound barrier but as my dad was even more of an aviation guy than car guy I grew up knowing about him and reading about him. I read books about him and some by him when I was in my teens.