Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roller Rocker Carnage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isan42, Dec 8, 2020.

1. isan42

isan42

131628D7-83FB-4250-B28A-57453E4EC7D3.jpeg Pulled the rocker arms off today since there was a little dried RTV hanging out and the bottoms of some of the rockers have some damage. I rebuilt the engine and reused the rockers and I don’t remember this, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there before. Any danger in reusing these? If it was a clearance issue I would assume I would see it on all the arm. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2020
  2. birdman1

birdman1

I see one rocker with damage by a pushrod that jumped out of place. Should be ok

3. birdman1

birdman1

Aluminum rocker are bulky and take lots of room. I prefer stainless steel.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Same here. I use steel roller rockers.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

"Room" should not be a problem. Who cares about rockers taking up a little space..!
    If the rocker with the bad spot, if the cup is in very good, non-damaged condition, it should be fine to use as is. If the cup has any marks down in the radius, then I'm not sure I'd use it if the mark cannot be polished out.
    You need to find the cause of this damage, before you go too far. Check the roller tips and the fulcrum for smooth movement, and reuse if all are in good condition.

Like the others, I've use both Comp Cams and Crower Stainless Steel rockers on the street for years with no damage.

Mike

6. It would appear that the rockers are too low and make contact with the mounting stud base.
    Im not sure if a longer pushrod would raise the rocker enough or just move the rubbing to a new location.

deathrowdave and jimmy six like this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I looked at the picture close, and other than what appears to be some interference scruffs on the inside of the bottom row rockers (and of course the obvious one), I can't see anything that jumps out. Personally I would inspect how far down on the rocker stud the rocker body is going to see if during motion they are touching the stud, and if so, gently clearance the rockers.
    Otherwise, if the trunions are smooth and you cannot feel or hear any grinding when rotated between your fingers, oil them up and reinstall.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Longer push rods for the bottom damage. Damage on the roller side is from too big of a diameter spring. Need to check at 50% lift for good geometry.

9. Fordors

Fordors

I agree about the need for longer push rods. Any chance the engine has aftermarket aluminum heads, with a lot of them .100 longer p/r’s are called for. You should check the rocker arm sweep on the valve tips.

Budget36 likes this.
  10. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

Looks like some of them were hitting the top of the stud towers.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Adding guide plates will cause that problem if the stud bosses are not milled down a bit.....

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Longer pushrods aren't the answer, and can create other issues. Correct pushrod length is critical to ensuring the rocker tip rides centered on the valve stem. Add a longer pushrod and you'll end up with the tip riding off center, and then you've really got problems!

54vicky, Deuces and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree 1971BB427 but with the look of these rockers we are not needing much maybe .010-.020” which would work for him.
    I spend a lot of time on rocker geometry and use many parts for the proper solution. Your typical guy doesn’t know about valve keepers with different heights, the use of lash caps, especially on 10* keepers, beehive tops and retainers, and of course pushrod length etc. I personally have given up on stud mounted rockers and have gone to T&D sportsman and never looked back. No more stud girdles, poly locks etc. and the cost is very little more. A season or racing and no valve clearance adjustment sold me.

triumph 1 and Deuces like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

I did not suggest longer push rods as a wholesale change, I’m wondering if the engine has aftermarket aluminum heads that in some cases call for +.100 p/r’s.
    Hopefully when @isan42 gets back online we can get some more details about his combination.

Deuces, jimmy six and Budget36 like this.
  15. isan42

isan42

Sorry everyone, didn’t get email notifications like I thought I would.

Engine is a SBC with double hump heads. I do have guide plates, and I did check the pushrod length and order custom length pushrods, but I could have messed up, since it was my first time doing it.

So, since it’s likely the guide plates are pushing up the base of the stud too far, what’s my best (cheapest) solution? It’s not a high RPM engine (144 blower) so I don’t really need the roller rockers, it’s just what was on the engine when I inherited the car.

16. Fordors

Fordors

If your heads had guide plates from the factory then the base of the studs would not be too high. That could only be a possibility if screw-in studs and guide plates were added to the heads and the stud bosses were not milled enough. Can you give us the casting number on the heads and also the length of the push rods you ordered? Stock SBC p/r’s are 7.800 for a flat tappet cam.

Deuces likes this.
  17. isan42

isan42

Can grab the castings later today but the guide plates are aftermarket.

looks like I did order the stock length pushrods (pn. 249-7812-16)

so, I need to recheck the pushrod length? I want the roller to wipe in the middle of the valve stem, correct? I do have a adjustable length pushrod

18. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Correct pushrod length does not necessarily put the roller tip contact centered on the valve tip....centered is a secondary consideration that while nice is not a requirement. Most important is narrow sweep width of the contact pattern, even if it is off-center.
    On center but wide sweep will eat the valve guides right out of it, since wide sweep side loads the valve into the guide wall harder.
    So many guys have repeated that completely wrong "center the contact on the tip using pushrod length" mantra for so long it has become an entrenched "fake news" fact. Magazines and even some clueless cam companies parroting it around certainly didn't help either.

Want to do it right use the Mid-Lift method.
    Push Rod Geometry for Engines - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    jaw22w, Deuces, gotta56forme and 2 others like this.
  19. isan42

isan42

I used the above method to check for pushrod length and it came out to .200 longer. I did the typical sharpie on the valve stem to check, does this look ok?

Attached Files:

20. triumph 1

triumph 1

Having the pattern more in the center would be ideal.....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

In my mind I picture the mechanical operation of a roller rocker arm pushing against a valve stem, and the logical ideal is pushing down dead center will produce less sideways force......but then there is the discussion about the width of the sweeping motion. If someone were pushing straight down on a valve, it probably doesn't matter much if they are on center or not.....no sideways force. So the idea is that by getting the sweep to be very narrow, someone is essentially pushing straight down. Now my mind is picturing the relationship between the rocker and the tip, and the only way I can see that narrow band happening is by having the rocker arm much higher than normal......which would change the actual mechanical ratio of the arm. I don't see any way possible for it to narrow the sweep and maintain the original ratio. Also, rollers are going to negate most of the sideways force on a valve anyway.
    If someone has stamped steel rockers and they get them below the optimal pivot point, they are probably generating a lot of side force and wearing guides. Now I'm not saying that the stuff I just said is correct........but it just seems logical....at least to me.:D

22. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The amount off center could be lived with....its about as far out as I couild let pass in search of the narrowest sweep pattern....but I don't like how close the top of the keepers and retainer are t the valve tip.
    This set-up really screams for a set of lash caps and the correct keepers to fit them in. Adds a little height to the stem, getting the rocker a little more width on the stem tip to work with and proventing possible contat with ather parts of the retainer/keepers package.

23. Deuces

Deuces

I noticed that the stud bosses were milled down, but for what "thickness" guide plates?????.......:confused:o_O

24. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Looks to me that the roller end could be hitting the retainer. Valve stem heights look low to me.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app