Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Parallel Torsion Bar Rear Suspension.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood n one, Dec 5, 2020.

1. wood n one

wood n one

I am currently restoring a late 1940's Kurtis Kraft midget. Many of these cars ran a Parallel Torsion bar rear suspension. I am in need of pictures or diagrams on how to set this suspension up. Any help that any fellow HAMB members can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Have you tried the Kurtis official page on FB?

3. wood n one

wood n one

Yes I have tried the Kurtis Kraft site, not a great deal on information there concerning the parallel torsion bar suspension as far as set up and photos. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. jaracer

jaracer

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. jaracer

jaracer

6. wood n one

wood n one

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

not sure about pictures,but the important part is one of the torsion arms needs a shackle mounting it to the radius rod/birdcage.The parallel bar cars I had,the left arm mounted without the shackle and served as the locating link for side to side motion.The right side arm had the shackle[usually very short,1 1/2" to 2 " between bolts]that allowed the arms to travel through their arcs without binding

Jet96 likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Not a Midget, but the same principle. IMG_7832.JPG full]4899429[/ATTACH]

Tim, Jet96 and gnichols like this.
  9. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

as far as actual race set up,I'd jack up the front axle in the center with a socket on the pad of the floor jack-once the front wheel were off the ground I would adjust the rear torsion bars so the back of the chassis was level.Let the front end down,move floor jack and socket to the rear axle,jack up under the center section,I would the adjust the front weight jack bolts so with the right rear tire just barely touching the ground,the left rear tire would be about an inch off the ground.always seemed to be a good starting point

10. wood n one

wood n one

Work4it likes this.
  11. wood n one

wood n one

Thanks for the help. Your explanation makes it clear.

12. wood n one

wood n one

Great explanation of the set up. It is really a very big help. Thanks for taking the time to help me out it is greatly appreciated.

jaracer likes this.
  13. jaracer

jaracer

Pretty much the setup we ran on my spring front car.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Might check with wicarnut on this board. He is an old time midget guy and is currently restoring a Kurtis copy that is parallel rear.

15. wood n one

wood n one

This midget is also a spring front car. So the information you gave me on setting up the rear will come in very helpful. There is not two many guys that remember the parallel torsion rear set up. They all seem familiar with the cross torsion suspension. Thanks again for you help.

16. wood n one

wood n one

Thanks for the advice. I will look up wicarnut for some information. Your help is greatly appreciated.

17. @wicarnut are you able to help op? Thanks.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

I suggested the Keyons, I don't have the parts/info he's looking for, the car I'm restoring, I went to a cross spring in back as that's what is was in 1948, built all the parts from old pictures and looking at old cars. the original KK cars had cross spring or parallel bars in back, cross bars/back started up in early 70's, maybe even late 60's.

19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just an aside, this is the same "setup" we all did back before scales were in every shop up here in the NE for dirt modifieds. Interesting how what worked was pretty much known everywhere.

20. wood n one

wood n one

Dave thanks for the help. I like the old way of setting up a car.

21. wood n one

wood n one

Bttt

22. wood n one

wood n one

Bttt

23. Work4it

Work4it

Marty is that something you built? I am interested in who makes those bars and arms. Also would like to see the front end setup.

I am wanting to put the same setup on the front of my coupe project.

Lynn

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lynn, The bars and arms came from Schroeder, about the time Gary sold the business. The arms and stops, were blanks that had been splined, slotted and drilled for the pinch clamp. I made the supports that welded to the frame. All of the info is covered in the Spalding thread below, you can search there. Good luck with your project. IMG_7494.JPG IMG_7495.JPG

David Gersic likes this.
  25. sdluck

sdluck

26. wood n one

wood n one

Marty, thanks for the help and advice. It is very helpful, and much appreciated. Wood n one

27. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Marty-what's the right front axle to torsion mount look like?Whats taking care of the width change as the arms travel through their arc?Great looking set up

Tim likes this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The passenger side arm is slotted, just like the original Spalding Roadster. Spalding right front corner.jpg

29. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Thanks!-at one time Dragmaster did some T-roadster kits with parallel torsion bars and if my old memory is right ,I think they mounted the front of the bars in rubber bushings and let the flex take care of it!!!

30. Work4it

Work4it

Thanks Marty, I will look for the Spalding thread.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.